View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #112
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Just because you still exclusively listen to what you listened to in high school doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Pixies rule though.
Yeah, I think about this sometimes and feel it's kind of pathetic, but I can't seem to find music that I can hold onto like those older albums. It's not just a me thing, though. A lot of people don't feel music as much as the stuff they grew up with.

When Pixies, or Pennywise, or Offspring, or Smashing Pumpkins come to Calgary, they fill the venues with people just like me, so there's that.

"Newer" bands - my favourite I listen to on a regular basis would probably be Die Antwoord - they put on a great show here a couple years ago. It is hard to find stuff, though. I'm not sure if it is because I'm more focussed on my kids, or career or what, but as you get older you don't have as many opportunities to experience soundtracks to formative, life-changing things. I like when someone puts on hip hop, but I'm not soaking in who the artist is necessarily and obsessing over the lyrics and songs like I did when I was 18 and listened to Bad Religion with a dictionary in my hand to figure out WTF some of those big words were.

My only hope for finding new great music now is my kids as they get older. There is a lot of 21 Pilots playing in my house these days, and I like them. I hope my kids get into Indie music - I used to go to tons of shows and saw so many small bands. That was great. I took my son to Pennywise earlier this year when he was 10 and that was super fun.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote