View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #58
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The media are fanning the flames trying to create a massive racial issue out of this and acting like the entire country is up in arms. They don’t care at all about the truth. Purely just sensationalism. I shouldn’t be surprised but I am. And disgusted.
I've deliberately avoided any CBC coverage of the verdict. On anything to do with native issues, they no longer even pretend to be anything but passionate advocates for the most simplistic and emotionally-satisfying narratives.

CBC radio recently did some features on native children taken into state custody. It was all about the racism and injustice of it. All emotion and no reason. No acknowledgement of the terrible position child services are put in when they're told on the one hand that they have to reduce the number of native children taken into care, and on the other hand that they have a duty to ensure children are not in danger in their homes. No acknowledgement that this is a complex issue. Disgraceful for a national broadcaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Yep, the media really seem to be trying to push one side of this case. The biggest thing I have noticed is how all the people infuriated by the result have been calling him a kid, media too. Big stories and people talking about a guy killing a kid who went onto his property.

Um no, he was a 22-year-old man who got drunk and thought it would be fun to terrorize a couple farms. It's sad how it turned out but the stories do feel one-sided.
Yeah, that's a pretty transparent technique to torque a story. If a 22-year-old police officer shot someone, would the officer be referred to as a kid? Not a chance.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: