View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #92
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
As for the CBC, they tend to steer clear of controversy. Granted, I haven't listen to them in a long time, but when I used to listen to them a lot, all I really recall are light entertainment shows like; "Canada Reads", interviews with weirdos like the lady who makes sweaters for cats in Newfoundland, occasional celebrity interviews with icons, and once in a while semi-controversial topics on things like health care or education.
If that was ever true, it's not today. The CBC - especially radio programs like As it Happens and the Current - are neck deep in controversial social issues. Stories from the last couple weeks:
  • 'He could have been stopped in 1997': Survivor of Larry Nassar's alleged sex abuse says victims were ignored
  • 'Mommy Wildest': Female-led animal families smash the patriarchy
  • Halsey's raw, vulnerable poem about sexual assault becomes an empowering rallying cry
  • Why this Chilean abuse survivor refuses to accept Pope Francis' apology
  • Men and #MeToo: 'People shouldn't lose their livelihood over an unpleasant experience'
  • Crying hate crime: how hoaxes give bigots ammunition to undermine real victims
  • AI, algorithmic decision making, ethics and the under-representation of women in tech
  • Director defends documentary that claims Europeans could have been 1st humans in North America
  • Is there a generational divide in the #MeToo movement?
  • The abortion clause: Should groups that work against reproductive rights receive public funding?
  • Residential school survivor says he told Andrew Scheer about Lynn Beyak's letters months ago
  • Sen. Lynn Beyak under fire for 'racist, offensive, hurtful' letters posted to Senate website
  • 'I was absolutely humiliated': Alabama reporter who was spanked by boss tells her story
  • 'Twitter sided with the Nazis,' says writer after company shuts down his impostor-hunting bot
  • 'Change is slow': Female superintendent of police in India tackles sexual violence and harassment
  • 'Justice can wait': advocate says leniency for convicted sex offenders ignores victims' rights
  • Women still earn 25% less as Canada slips down global rankings
  • Civilization video game paints an 'inaccurate and dangerous' picture of Poundmaker Cree Nation chief
  • 'Women need to take up more space': Feminist theatre calls on industry to hire female directors
  • Civil cases for sexual harassment — a new avenue for women seeking justice?

Hardly looks like a news organization that avoids controversy or tough topics.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote