View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #67
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's play Mutually-Compatible Facts:
  • Housing is increasingly unaffordable.
  • Millennials spend more on discretionary items like food, drink, and travel than previous generations.

In a sense, they're related. It used to be that once you were earning decent money (anything more than poverty wages) you moved out of home, started paying rent or a mortgage, and shortly thereafter started a family.

Today, because housing is out of reach, many 28 year olds with decent jobs live at home rent-free and so have loads of discretionary spending that goes to food, drink, and travel.

Would they all own their own homes if they dialed back the $300 a week drinks and eating out lifestyle? Probably not. Doesn't change the fact they spend more on luxury items than Gen Xers or Boomers did at the same age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Coffee shops aren't a new thing. Spending $200 less a year on coffee is not going to get you anywhere near a down payment on a decent property. The bigger question is why are middle class earners now expected to live in poverty without any kinds of luxuries? That certainly wasn't the way 30 years ago.
When I head out to 17th ave or 4th street these days I'm always astonished at the number of 25 and 28 year olds I see casually splashing out for $16 cocktails and $17 appetizers at restaurants that are a few-times-a-year treat for my wife and I.

How many pricy restaurants and bars catered to 24 to 34 year olds back in the 80s and 90s? Precious few. I lived in this city then, and you had bars and restaurants that catered to 20-somethings, bars and restaurants that catered to people willing to splash out a lot of money, but they were not the same places. A high-end bistro catering to 20-somethings would have been an oxymoron in 1995.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: