PDA

View Full Version : Raptors at .500

octothorp
02-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm really enjoying watching this team this year. It's frustrating as hell when they play poorly against bad teams, or play great against great teams but can't quite close the deal, but at the same time, they've exceeded my expectations. Hell, there were some sports writers who predicted that Toronto wouldn't get to 22 wins this season, let alone at the half-way mark.

But the thing I really like about this team is the attitude of the guys: nobody has a big ego, most of the guys are hard working, and it's generally a team-first atmosphere. If these guys were hockey players, they'd be exactly the type of team that Canadians love (and the exact opposite of what many Canadians think of when they think of basketball players). When Ford returned to the lineup last night, he suggested to Mitchell that Calderon should start the game since he had played so well of late - that's a great indication of the attitude on the team.

Anyway, here's hoping that they finish first in the atlantic (and last amongst all playoff teams so that they can retain their draft pick this year); with the way the east is, any team that makes the playoffs can put together a decent run, and the way the raps play on home-court, a home-court advantage in the first round would be huge.

troutman
02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm interested to see where this goes.

TOR will likely have to win the Atlantic to get a playoff spot. 6 teams have a better record, and NJ and MIA could easily jump over the Raptors too.

KTown
02-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm interested to see where this goes.

TOR will likely have to win the Atlantic to get a playoff spot. 6 teams have a better record, and NJ and MIA could easily jump over the Raptors too.

I disagree.

I see Miami coming back and getting a playoff spot, there getting healthy and will get good again. They will grab the 6th seed in my mind

New Jersey, is playing well but can Kidd and Carter carry this team all year. I say yes but it will be a bumpy road for them. They will make the playoffs as the 4th or 7th seed.

Indiana or Orlando will be the teamt that takes the #8 seed.

The Raptors will make the playoffs as the 4th or 7th seed.

The Raptors will not have to win the Atlantic to make the playoffs, however they want to as its a #4 seed.

Using the standings below the raps are only a game to game and a half back of those two teams
Indiana 24-21
Orlando 24-22
Toronto 23-23

flames_1987
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Only thing better then the raptors making the playoffs is beating out vince to get there.

Bosh was sick last night

redmile04
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Probably a really dumb question but shouldnt the Raptors be 3rd since they are leading the division? I see cleveland at 3rd but also other teams are better than the Raptors. Might be different in the Nba i guess. Can someone clarify

thanks

kipperfan
02-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Probably a really dumb question but shouldnt the Raptors be 3rd since they are leading the division? I see cleveland at 3rd but also other teams are better than the Raptors. Might be different in the Nba i guess. Can someone clarify

thanks

Each conference in the NBA has 4 divisions as opposed to the three in hockey, so because the Raps are leading their division but have the worst record among division leaders...they are in 4th.

Eagle Eye
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
^^ actaully there are only 6 divisions like the NHL.

Eagle Eye
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
The NBA made a change that ranks the top 4 teams as the 3 divisional leaders + the next best record. Meaning that a divisonal winner is not guaranteed a top 3 postition but it does guarantee top 4.

Under this system the Flames would be 4th with the Wings in 3rd

octothorp
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
The NBA made a change that ranks the top 4 teams as the 3 divisional leaders + the next best record. Meaning that a divisonal winner is not guaranteed a top 3 postition but it does guarantee top 4.

Under this system the Flames would be 4th with the Wings in 3rd

Yeah, it was basically done to ensure that the top two regular-season teams will not meet in the play until the conference finals at the earliest... this system was adopted after one season where the top two teams -- Dallas and San Antonio -- met in the conference semifinals. So being the second-best team in the division nets you a #2 seed, regardless of whether you win your division or not.

KootenayFlamesFan
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Quite the month for Raps:

The Raptors swept the NBA's monthly Eastern Conference awards, with forward Chris Bosh (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/player_bio.asp?player_id=924) taking player-of-the-month honours, seven-footer Andrea Bargnani (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/player_bio.asp?player_id=1258) named the East's rookie of the month and Sam Mitchell (http://www.tsn.ca/nba/player_bio.asp?player_id=251) earning its top coaching nod.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=194513&hubname=

Sylvanfan
02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, not really a basketball fan, but I've noticed that the Raptors are well above expectations and being .500 at this point in the season is something that few anticipated. They're division is absolutely terrible which seems odd because these are some big markets having bad teams. Hopefully they're the only tenant of the ACC who get any playoff dates this year.

Antithesis
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Chris Bosh is great to watch, I hope the Raps enjoy some success so that he enjoys his time there and ends up resigning when his new contract is over (4 years? 5?)

Bargnani has been something else, I was doubtful when he got drafted but I think the Raps did well in getting him, and Ford has been good as well, though giving up Villanueva was difficult.

CaramonLS
02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Chris Bosh is great to watch, I hope the Raps enjoy some success so that he enjoys his time there and ends up resigning when his new contract is over (4 years? 5?)

Bargnani has been something else, I was doubtful when he got drafted but I think the Raps did well in getting him, and Ford has been good as well, though giving up Villanueva was difficult.

Ford has been great up until his injury, but Calderon who struggled last year has just picked up his game and run with it. Nice to have 2 very good PGs now.

One of the players I'm most impressed with is Parker, he is a very good defender and plays a purely team game. Has almost no selfishness what so ever, which is rare for an NBA player.

But yeah, I'm enjoying watching this team. I also love Chuck and Leo, Salami and Cheese just cracks me up.

bluejays
02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Add another to loving the team. I do think they're overachieving, but who cares - they're winning! If you look around the NBA, the teams that win are the ones that have absolutely no guys on the team with a huge ego - Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio. Detroit with Wallace may be an exception, but he's stayed quiet recently. This team is looking really good. If only they could get a superstar forward like Gasol or Stojakovic sans injuries, this team would be spectacular.

StrayBullet
02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
If only they could get a superstar forward like Gasol or Stojakovic sans injuries, this team would be spectacular.

The only way they're getting Pau is if they trade Bosh. I wouldn't trade for Peja... He's passed his prime. They need a true, swingman. Someone defensively sound and a dangerous, 3-point threat. Sure, you're looking at Ray Allen (who ain't coming to Toronto) but that what you're looking for if you're Bryan Colangelo.

StrayBullet
02-01-2007, 07:32 PM

I remember seeing a highlight of Bargnani driving to the hole, going baseline on a guard and dunking it on a power forward. I was impressed. I just didn't think he would be this effective, thhis early. I thought he would've taken a few years.
True. Villanueva was tough to swallow, but Bargnani and Bosh's all-star season along with TJ's control of the offence has made it easier.

Antithesis
02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, ESPN's Insider rumors section has been harping for some time that the Raps would have to give up Bosh to get Pau ... don't really see that happening.

Gord Wappel
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Can someone fill me in on what the deal is with Raps maybe or maybe not losing their next first round pick ?

I also really enjoy watching this years edition of the Raps. Especially because I think they will probably get better over next few years.
CB4, Bargnani, Ford, Calderon still being fairly young, improving and building chemistry. I really like Parker too, most consistent player this year in my books. Rasha not bad for his role and salary. Garbajosa is consistent too as in great defence but lousy shooting.
Too bad no-one of MoPete, Jones, Humphries, Graham have is getting it to a higher level.
I imagine the GM and Assistant GM are planning a many for one swap and/or to fill one or two of those spots with Euros some future year.... especially if we are losing a first round pick.

KTown
02-02-2007, 12:58 PM
What a great week-end for us raps and Flames fans

Raps tonight @ 5:30
Flames tonight @ 7:00p
Flames vs Nucks tommorrow @8pm
Raptors 10am on Sunday
Superbowl 4pm Sunday

Who else is going to be glued to the tube this week-end?

kipperfan
02-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Another good win for the Raps over the Clipps today. Dominated from start to finish...season high in points with 122...team 3 point shooting was amazing today.....this team is for real.

FlamesFanInEdm
02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I am loving the Raptors recently. Really, really impressed with their chemistry and shooting. You can chalk me up on the Parker bandwagon too, I think he is a great player. Rasho has even been a steadying influence on the team. I'm very happy with the direction Colangelo has taken with this team.
________
Gong Bong (http://glassbongs.org/)

killer_carlson
02-04-2007, 08:01 PM
The one guy on the Raptors I am not sold on is Parker.

I don't even think his defence is that stellar to get him the minutes that he gets.

I like the rest of the squad though. Wouldn't mind seeing someone other than Bosh sneak towards 10 rebounds a game though

KTown
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM
The one guy on the Raptors I am not sold on is Parker.

I don't even think his defence is that stellar to get him the minutes that he gets.

I like the rest of the squad though. Wouldn't mind seeing someone other than Bosh sneak towards 10 rebounds a game though

Parker is an awesome player. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was euro league MVP two times in a row. The guy is still fairly young and is adjusting quite well to the game.

The guy I'm not sold on yet is garbo, garbo is amazing on D, but too inconsistant on O. He had a great game today on O, but his last 4 were terrible. Reliable defender though.

This Raptor team is young and has lots of upside.

flames_1987
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
The Raptors just like the Flames have to show they can win on the road. The Nets are heating up a little so Toronto has to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

As for the rest of the NBA, so much for people saying Steve Nash is only the mvp because he plays with so many all stars.

bluejays
02-12-2007, 03:02 PM
The Raptors just like the Flames have to show they can win on the road. The Nets are heating up a little so Toronto has to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

As for the rest of the NBA, so much for people saying Steve Nash is only the mvp because he plays with so many all stars.

Nash is a great player, but there may be something to that case. If you look at why he's an MVP nominee it's because of his crazy assist numbers. Look at that lineup who he's feeding it to...Marion, Amare, Barbosa, Diaw. Those guys are pretty good shooters. Now look at a team like Utah who has Deron Williams feeding assists to nobody's, and nobody never realizes it. It's somewhat hard to explain what I mean, but there is some reason to what they're saying. Nash is great, but if Marion is removed from the picture, I'm not sure he'd put up the same numbers.

flames_1987
02-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Nash is a great player, but there may be something to that case. If you look at why he's an MVP nominee it's because of his crazy assist numbers. Look at that lineup who he's feeding it to...Marion, Amare, Barbosa, Diaw. Those guys are pretty good shooters. Now look at a team like Utah who has Deron Williams feeding assists to nobody's, and nobody never realizes it. It's somewhat hard to explain what I mean, but there is some reason to what they're saying. Nash is great, but if Marion is removed from the picture, I'm not sure he'd put up the same numbers.

I understand what your saying but the suns since Nash went down have not looked at all like the same team. He makes that team go, plain and simple.

Boris Diaw had been a virtual unknown in the NBA till Nash came to the Suns. Barbaso nearly doubled his points per game when Nash came to the Suns. They lost Amare for the entire season last year, and didn't even miss a beat. Steve Nash deserves all the credit he gets.

Williams is one the best young stars in the league, Utah isn't really a big market so you don't hear too much about him especially in Canada. But the guy is not passing to nobodys, Utah has built a very solid team and he's one of the cornerstones.

moon
02-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Shawn Marion has one of if not the worst shots in the league. He certainly can score but his shot is garbage.

These guys are the scorers they are in large part because of the position that Nash puts them in and the way that Nash runs and organizes that offense. They lost to Atlanta without him in the line-up. If they were so great and carrying him along they should have easily beat the Hawks.

wpgflamesfan
02-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't really care much for basketball but go raps.

octothorp
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Tonight's game is the biggest of the season thus far: last game before the all-star break, playing at home against division rival NJ Nets who they currently lead by 3.5 games. And NJ is playing without Kidd tonight. A Raps loss tonight would really let the Nets back into the race for the division title and give them some confidence. A win and the Raps are in great shape to win the division.

Antithesis
02-14-2007, 07:27 PM

But then, how would you explain Phoenix's terrible record over the past few seasons when Nash is not in the lineup? My opinion would be that this statistic strongly suggests that it is Nash who makes his teammates better rather than the other way around.

ricoFlame
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
the raps are leading the division by 4.5 games? wow, i had no idea, i guess that if i cheered for a team it would probably be them so good on 'em. may as well keep on truckin up the standings.

Sylvanfan
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Two big games in a row for the Raptors as they first snap a 15 game losing streak against the Bulls with a 112-111 win, and than come back with a 120-111 win over the Nets. Suddenly they're 29-24 and not that far behind the other so called top teams in the East. It's been a pretty remarkable turn around.

Saint Troy
02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Boy Barnagni looks like he could turn into Dirk part two, his outside game is pure, and the big guy can move. I love the way Calderon plays point, he is always on the attack, and tenacious on d. These guys are extremely exciting to watch, and have me interested in the NBA for the first time since the killing of the Grizzlies.

Eagle Eye
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Did anyone see Carter mumbling "MVP ya right" when the fans started chanting 'MVP!" for Bosh.

Not a huge basketball fan, but man I am ever glad that the Raptors dumped that pompous ass. He is such a clown and the biggest whiners/babies in the league.

Also pretty happy to see him and the Nets out of the playoffs while the Raps are in.

fanforever1986
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
I can actually say I've watched the past 4 raptors games...first 4 of my life. The last quarter is basically the only one that effects the final score, but its fun to watch.

I may even buy one of those (and its about time its not purple) red hats with their newish logo if they make the playoffs.

Cerebral
02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I think my favorite player in the NBA right now is Anthony Parker. The guy is a total class act, he's a solid player and he very seldom turns the ball over or takes stupid shots. The Raptors are a really fun team to watch, they have two point guards who can really get up the floor quick and they have a team that is willing to make the extra pass (unless TJ Ford is playing one of his greedy games which are thankfully not that often).

Add in a big guy in Bargnani who looks like an absolute gem (this guy can pass the ball!) and this team has a great future. Man, if only they took Granger instead of Graham in the draft a few years back (Granger was the guy I was hoping they'd take, I loved the way he played at New Mexico).

bluejays
02-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I think my favorite player in the NBA right now is Anthony Parker. The guy is a total class act, he's a solid player and he very seldom turns the ball over or takes stupid shots. The Raptors are a really fun team to watch, they have two point guards who can really get up the floor quick and they have a team that is willing to make the extra pass (unless TJ Ford is playing one of his greedy games which are thankfully not that often).

Add in a big guy in Bargnani who looks like an absolute gem (this guy can pass the ball!) and this team has a great future. Man, if only they took Granger instead of Graham in the draft a few years back (Granger was the guy I was hoping they'd take, I loved the way he played at New Mexico).

I never understood that one either. They said Graham was the better athlete and solely based on that, they took him (and they still laud him for his great build). The guy isn't lazy, but he's pretty clueless. As for Granger, don't know why they passed on him at the time when all he had was a broken leg (?). He's not a big loss though as his numbers aren't that solid, but they are better than Graham's.

Cerebral
02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I never understood that one either. They said Graham was the better athlete and solely based on that, they took him (and they still laud him for his great build). The guy isn't lazy, but he's pretty clueless. As for Granger, don't know why they passed on him at the time when all he had was a broken leg (?). He's not a big loss though as his numbers aren't that solid, but they are better than Graham's.
I think Graham would be a far better player if he played with a little passion and drive. The guy can be a very effective mid-range player if he uses his size to drive the lane as it will allow him to use his pull-up jumper a lot more which is surprisingly effective.

The big reason why the Raptors passed on Granger was his knee problems. What I like about him is how versatile he is - the guy was a statboard stuffer at New Mexico and he's going to be a solid all-around player for Indiana in the future.

Don't even get me started on the Raptors passing on Iguodala for Araujo. :D

bluejays
02-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Don't even get me started on the Raptors passing on Iguodala for Araujo. :D

ahh, but here's the thing, Babcock reportedly wanted Iguodala, but (I can't remember the executive's name - the really old guy not with the team anymore) wanted Araujo BADLY, and Babcock apparently had no choice. It's not even a rumor, it's fact (although I don't have the link). Even the VC trade was because of that executives decisions. I liked Babcock, though he made some major booboo's. I'm even happier that they got Colangelo, but a lot of moves that Babcock weren't really his fault, but he was the fall guy.

Cerebral
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
ahh, but here's the thing, Babcock reportedly wanted Iguodala, but (I can't remember the executive's name - the really old guy not with the team anymore) wanted Araujo BADLY, and Babcock apparently had no choice. It's not even a rumor, it's fact (although I don't have the link). Even the VC trade was because of that executives decisions. I liked Babcock, though he made some major booboo's. I'm even happier that they got Colangelo, but a lot of moves that Babcock weren't really his fault, but he was the fall guy.
Yep, Babcock apparently wanted Iguodala but he was too new to the job so he trusted the judgement of the scouting staff already on board. Oh well, the ship has fortunately turned around now. I'm really curious to see what Colangelo does with Ford and Calderon though - Calderon is signed through next season at a very cheap rate but he's apparently being coveted by a number of teams.

Let's say Atlanta (who desperately needs a young point guard) comes calling and offers Josh Smith for Calderon - do you make the deal? I'd definitely have to consider it if an athletic small forward who can defend is headed to the Raptors.

Ford
Parker
Smith
Bosh
Bargnani

Truth be told, I'd rather trade Ford and keep Calderon though. :)

bluejays
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Yep, Babcock apparently wanted Iguodala but he was too new to the job so he trusted the judgement of the scouting staff already on board. Oh well, the ship has fortunately turned around now. I'm really curious to see what Colangelo does with Ford and Calderon though - Calderon is signed through next season at a very cheap rate but he's apparently being coveted by a number of teams.

Let's say Atlanta (who desperately needs a young point guard) comes calling and offers Josh Smith for Calderon - do you make the deal? I'd definitely have to consider it if an athletic small forward who can defend is headed to the Raptors.

Ford
Parker
Smith
Bosh
Bargnani

Truth be told, I'd rather trade Ford and keep Calderon though. :)
To be honest, I wouldn't trade either. I've been impressed and annoyed with Ford at different times this year, but at the end of the day, damn has Calderon impressed. The thing is, they work well with the limits of time they share, and they are perfect for what they bring at each time. The only way I'd trade either one is if you're getting a premier scorer like a 20ppg+/- player and it doesn't look like they will. If they can sign Calderon to a $20M 4 year deal that would be nice, though to me it looks like Colangelo is going to let the guy walk.

Gord Wappel
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
If they can sign Calderon to a $20M 4 year deal that would be nice, though to me it looks like Colangelo is going to let the guy walk. That would be disappointing.
I like Calderon, fits the Euro theme too which they will undoubtedly be adding to (and Garbajosa is closer to retirement than Jose')...
Besides he does have trade value (as hypothesised earlier in the thread), its not like Toronto is going to win the championship this year ... so I expect Colangelo to manage assets.

KTown
02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I can actually say I've watched the past 4 raptors games...first 4 of my life. The last quarter is basically the only one that effects the final score, but its fun to watch.

I may even buy one of those (and its about time its not purple) red hats with their newish logo if they make the playoffs.

All quarters affect the score????

Why play the first 3 if they don't count???

The beauty if basketball is when your down 20 at half you can still win because b-ball is a game of runs.

if you are down 3 after 2 in hockey chances are its over.

flames_1987
02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
The Raptors are defintley the feel good story of the NBA this year.

Not to mention, I think everyone watching the Raps/Nets game was hoping to see Bosh dunk over Vince. Carter is just an absolute joke, he'll never win a championship, absolutley no heart.

The Knicks are hanging around in the Atlantic, Isah has actually done a good job this year with them. However this division is now the Raptors to lose. They do have the cap room to maybe go out and get someone before the trade deadline. Defintley an exciting team to watch, I would love to see them in the playoffs again.

moon
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
The Knicks are hanging around in the Atlantic, Isah has actually done a good job this year with them.

As coach this year I would agree. however, as a GM he continues to make bone headed moves and is killing them and any hope they have for the future.

As long as he is there as the GM the Knicks will not be a threat at all to the Raptors.

flames_1987
02-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I just hope to god Toronto fans get there backsides to the Raptors games. Every game from here on out should be near a sellout with how exciting the team is to watch and how good there playing.

StrayBullet
02-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Carter is just an absolute joke, he'll never win a championship, absolutley no heart.

...and with rumours that Jason Kidd is going to be traded, Vince will have to go to a contender 6 years from now and walk into one.

StrayBullet
02-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Let's say Atlanta (who desperately needs a young point guard) comes calling and offers Josh Smith for Calderon - do you make the deal?

Atlanta doesn't need a "young point guard", they need an NBA point guard. Tyronn Lue and "Speedy" just ain't doing it. Atlanta has scoring talent, but Jose Calderon wouldn't be the answer.
And please explain how Josh Smith for Jose Calderon is even remotely a feasible trade??? I am not belitteling, Jose's efforts this year, but he's just not good enough right now to be a majort of a trade for Josh Smith. That trade scenario you gave was a joke, right?

killer_carlson
02-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Down the stretch I'm interested to see if Slokar actually gets a look or not. I'm curiously interested in he and Pape.

I think this team can make some noise. The only team I don't like the matchup against is Detroit and I'm not thrilled about seeing Chicago either, but the rest of the playoff teams I think we can take out.

Hopefully a banged up Miami squeaks into #8 because I think they have some horses who could get it going for a series or two, but then fall out. Perhaps they could take out Detroit for us.

KTown
02-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Down the stretch I'm interested to see if Slokar actually gets a look or not. I'm curiously interested in he and Pape.

I think this team can make some noise. The only team I don't like the matchup against is Detroit and I'm not thrilled about seeing Chicago either, but the rest of the playoff teams I think we can take out.

Hopefully a banged up Miami squeaks into #8 because I think they have some horses who could get it going for a series or two, but then fall out. Perhaps they could take out Detroit for us.

Just the thought of playoffs gives me chills.

If we gan get a split in Houston and San Antonio this week I will be happier then a fat kid on a candy stick.

octothorp
02-25-2007, 11:19 AM

If the Raptors somehow get the #3 seed, they could realistically have home court advantage against Indiana in the first round, Cleveland in the second, and Miami in the third. All three of those would be very winnable series for this team. On the other hand, finish with the fourth seed (fifth in points) and you get a road series against Chicago, and the possibility of a second round matchup against Detroit. There's certainly a lot for the Raptors to play for down the stretch, to ensure that they give themselves a chance of a good run.

Gord Wappel
03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone else nervous about the way the Raps have been clobbered in 3 of their last 4 games. Bosh hasn't looked unstoppable for awhile.
I know they are still a pleasant surprise this year but the sky suddenly seems limited (pardon the mixed metaphor). I am posting this because then I'll probably be wrong.

CaramonLS
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Anyone else nervous about the way the Raps have been clobbered in 3 of their last 4 games. Bosh hasn't looked unstoppable for awhile.
I know they are still a pleasant surprise this year but the sky suddenly seems limited (pardon the mixed metaphor). I am posting this because then I'll probably be wrong.

Cold shooting.

The raptors take a lot of jump shots and the last few games minus Houston they've been ice cold. They missed a ton of shots they have sank all season.

Just a bit of a funk.

I_H8_Crawford
03-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Did anyone see the CRAZY end to the Raps/Wizards game tonight??

Wizards up by 3, time running out, some Wizard player throws the ball up into the air like they do at the end of the game, but this time he did it too early/didnt throw it high enough - Mo Pete grabs the ball and DRAINS a LONG 3 for the tie!

Raps go on to win in OT!

LOL what a finish!

Edit: If you want to see it, it will most probably be TSNs HON - it is definitely on the HONor roll.

flames_1987
03-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Watching the highlights, I kept thinking that the Raptors came close but lost at the end. Then as they show the inbounds on SportsCentre that little Honor Roll thing comes up, and you know something big happened, low and behold Mo Pete with one of the most bizzare plays I've ever seen.

Awsome to see Mitchell and Mo Pete embracing on the court after with a hug. Peterson's gone through a lot this year and it was great to see him come through. Man does this Raptors team ever look close knit too, if they can get Barnangi healthy for the playoffs, they could do some damage

KTown
03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Did anyone see the CRAZY end to the Raps/Wizards game tonight??

Wizards up by 3, time running out, some Wizard player throws the ball up into the air like they do at the end of the game, but this time he did it too early/didnt throw it high enough - Mo Pete grabs the ball and DRAINS a LONG 3 for the tie!

Raps go on to win in OT!

LOL what a finish!

Edit: If you want to see it, it will most probably be TSNs HON - it is definitely on the HONor roll.

Yah man I watched the whole game on Raptors TV.

When Mo hit that shot I start yelling yah, I woke my wife up from her nap, she had no clue what was going on I was like you got to see this, and she's like men and the things that make them happy.

What a game, this is why I never turn off a game unless its way out of reach, there is always a chance.

FlamesFanInEdm
03-31-2007, 12:35 AM
i watched it too, what an awesome awesome game!! Can't believe Ruffin did that and then can't believe Mo actually hit it! And then Bosh took over....what a game!
________
CHEAP TAURUS SOFTAIR SPRING POWERED PISTOL (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/taurus-softair-spring-powered-pistol/)

octothorp
03-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, that was an ending for the ages. Great that the Raps were able to capitalize and win the game in OT. Otherwise, the Mo-Pete shot just becomes a footnote.

phaneuf_train
03-31-2007, 01:40 AM
This should be the Official Toronto Raptors thread. Great team game tonight. What a steal Dixon was? Wow I never thought we could get such a dependable shooter for Fred Jones. Colangeo is a genius.

flames_1987
03-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I had no idea either that Mo Pete had yet to even touch the floor until the inbounds with 4 seconds left

Bertuzzied
03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
That game was amazing. I haven't yelled or jumped that high since Gelinas's OT goals.

Gotta love Mo Pete. He only played 1 minute in regulation time and gets that shot. If the wizards guy only threw the ball higher another 5 -6 inches it would have been game over.

KTown
04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Raptors officially are in the playoffs. Next step is to clinch the division and then the following step is to clinch the #3 seed.

Sylvanfan
04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, that was one of the craziest plays ever. Why the Washington guy did that is beyond me. But for Peterson to grab it and than launch it up and nail it was something else. Considering at the start of the year people figured 30 wins for the Raptors would be a nice step, this year has been a resounding success.

flames_1987
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow Collanegelo has been as good as advertised.

I think a lot of fans would agree that the trade for TJ Ford is looking very good right about now. Bringing in Dixon has given the Raptors some much needed offense with the injury's they've had to deal with. Humphries for Arujo may be his biggest steal so far. Then bringing in Parker and Garbajosa. Can't wait to see how good this team will be in 2 or 3 years

octothorp
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Pretty big win last night. Magic number to clinch 3rd in the conference and home advantage in the first round is now 7, with eight games remaining.
It's really too bad they weren't able to beat Miami the other night, as that would have knocked the number all the way down to 4.

They'll probably need to win five of their last seven to get 3rd overall, since Miami has a complete patsy schedule down the stretch. After they play Cleveland tonight, they play Boston twice, Charlotte twice, Indiana, Washington, and Orlando. Although Miami seems to really play to the level of their competition.

Anyway, 3rd looks to be an ideal spot to finish, as it likely means a first round matchup against the Wizards. With Butler out for the season and Arenas likely missing the start of the playoffs, that's got to be one of the best matchups possible for the Raptors.

howard_the_duck
04-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Pretty big win last night. Magic number to clinch 3rd in the conference and home advantage in the first round is now 7, with eight games remaining.
It's really too bad they weren't able to beat Miami the other night, as that would have knocked the number all the way down to 4.

They'll probably need to win five of their last seven to get 3rd overall, since Miami has a complete patsy schedule down the stretch. After they play Cleveland tonight, they play Boston twice, Charlotte twice, Indiana, Washington, and Orlando. Although Miami seems to really play to the level of their competition.

Anyway, 3rd looks to be an ideal spot to finish, as it likely means a first round matchup against the Wizards. With Butler out for the season and Arenas likely missing the start of the playoffs, that's got to be one of the best matchups possible for the Raptors.

Arenas done for the season it looks like now. He has a tear in his knee and arthroscopic surgery is required. 2-3 months recovery time. With Butler out for 6 weeks and arenas out for the season the wiz are rype for the picking.

Otto-matic
04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Raptors clinched the div tonight. Good Job!

I_H8_Crawford
04-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Raptors clinched the div tonight. Good Job!
That's awesome!
Bosh did what Wince was never able to do - get the Raps on top of thier division.
Now I just hope Indiana and Orlando can both overtake NJ to send Wince crying home to his TV to watch the Raps in the playoffs. :D

red '00
04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Who here can say they expected this type of season out of the Raptors when the season started?

Can't wait for the playoffs.

Cerebral
04-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Who here can say they expected this type of season out of the Raptors when the season started?

I can honestly say I expected the Raptors to make the playoffs this season. I didn't think they would be this good but I thought the depth Colangelo added in the off-season would turn out to be huge for the team this season.

The only downfall of this year is that the Raptors will lose their first round draft pick - the playoffs are obviously far more important but I love the NBA draft and this year's draft is very strong.

octothorp
04-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I can honestly say I expected the Raptors to make the playoffs this season. I didn't think they would be this good but I thought the depth Colangelo added in the off-season would turn out to be huge for the team this season.

The only downfall of this year is that the Raptors will lose their first round draft pick - the playoffs are obviously far more important but I love the NBA draft and this year's draft is very strong.

Yeah, the best I thought was that they might get 42 wins if everything went right for them. The fact that they'll probably finish around 46 or so despite an incredible number of injuries is really impressive...

In regards to the draft pick, Colangelo has said that he's looking for ways to aquire another draft pick... there are a few teams with multiple first rounders, including Phoenix, who have three. Not sure which Toronto assets Phoenix wants, but I'd expect Colangelo to work out something.

CaramonLS
04-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Wow Collanegelo has been as good as advertised.

I think a lot of fans would agree that the trade for TJ Ford is looking very good right about now. Bringing in Dixon has given the Raptors some much needed offense with the injury's they've had to deal with. Humphries for Arujo may be his biggest steal so far. Then bringing in Parker and Garbajosa. Can't wait to see how good this team will be in 2 or 3 years

Definately. While some of the players that were brought in (Garbo and Parker) might not have a lot of upside left in them, they should be able to improve just by adjusting better to the NBA game.

Andrea looks like the real deal too - going to be scary when he fully develops as he was continuing to get better as each game progressed until his surgery.

moon
04-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought they would be firmly entrenched in the Greg Oden/Kevin Durant sweepstakes. When they chose Bargnani it solidified that belief for me.

They really have everything go right for them this year and have put together a great season. I still think that overall they are in the bottom half of teams as far as talent but considering they are in the East it is entirely possible they could win their first round series.

octothorp
04-07-2007, 04:16 PM
nm. wrong thread.

OILFAN #81
04-08-2007, 06:05 PM
This Raptors team is soooooooo great to watch!!!!! Playing with alot of heart today.

Dixon with a crazy 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd!

octothorp
04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
This Raptors team is soooooooo great to watch!!!!! Playing with alot of heart today.

Dixon with a crazy 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd!

Today's win was so huge... only 1.5 games back of Cleveland and Chicago, with one game in hand; and I believe their 14 pt win gives them the season series over Chicago. And they are now two games up on Miami. Home court advantage looks like a very real possibility.

octothorp
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Looks like the Raps have all but locked up at least the #3 spot: with Miami losing back to back games to Charlotte, the Raptors magic number for 3rd is just 2 with four games left (including home games against Philadelphia and NY).

KTown
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Looks like the Raps have all but locked up at least the #3 spot: with Miami losing back to back games to Charlotte, the Raptors magic number for 3rd is just 2 with four games left (including home games against Philadelphia and NY).

Yup things are looking good, but lets not stop there we're only a game out for the #2 seed. The way this team is playing anything is possible.

octothorp
04-13-2007, 07:56 PM
That's a statement game for the Raptors: outscoring Detroit 29-15 in the fourth quarter to win and drop the magic number for locking up third to 1 - they could wrap it up tonight if Indiana beats Miami.

CaramonLS
04-13-2007, 08:03 PM
That's a statement game for the Raptors: outscoring Detroit 29-15 in the fourth quarter to win and drop the magic number for locking up third to 1 - they could wrap it up tonight if Indiana beats Miami.

And they still have a chance to get the #2 seed too, could you imagine that?

octothorp
04-13-2007, 08:16 PM
And they still have a chance to get the #2 seed too, could you imagine that? Yeah, that would be huge. I don't think they'll catch Cleveland - the Cavs' schedule is just too light and Cleveland has the tiebreaker - but Chicago is definitely a possibility with road games in Washington and NJ. Even if they can pass Chicago, that could end up making a difference in the second or third rounds.

Cerebral
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm just hoping the Raptors end up playing Washington in the first round. I'm pretty confident Toronto can beat an Arenas-less Wizards club.

Eagle Eye
04-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Rap's are playing Carter and the Nets in the first round! Man I hope they wipe the floor with him

I_H8_Crawford
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Oh man, the raptors couldn't have asked for a better match up in terms of hype and ticket sales.

Go Raptors!

Just hard foul Wince once or twice and he will be gone for the remainder of the series with a hangnail.

bluejays
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh man, the raptors couldn't have asked for a better match up in terms of hype and ticket sales.

Go Raptors!

Just hard foul Wince once or twice and he will be gone for the remainder of the series with a hangnail.

Hype yes, ticket sales...no. Tickets were sold out last week in a matter of a minute and they're harder to get than Leafs tickets during the playoffs. It's really a nice run they're having. And yes, I agree with Vince. Send Slokar out as a headhunter to give him a hard elbow and he'll be gone with cracked (bruised) ribs. I can't hardly wait to see if Toronto whoops him, his face in the parking lot out here.

octothorp
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I would have rather seen them play Washington, but they should be able to handle NJ fairly handily, too. All they've got to do is hold home-court against a weaker team, something they've done almost flawlessly in the second half of the season. Interesting that on ESPN, four of five critics are picking NJ. Which is good for the Raps, as they seem to take a lot of pride in proving critics wrong.

KTown
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
To all the Raptor Fans I recommend you download this video

If you don't have bit torrents or don't know how to use it send me a pm with your msn and I will send you the video. I believe its quicktime format or something like that, I used VLC media player to view it. Its a great video about the turn around about the franchise.

Cheers all

http://www.mininova.org/tor/657248

OILFAN #81
04-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Game 1 is Saturday Morning and TSN begins broadcasting at 10:30 am.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=204852&hubname=

KTown
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Game 1 is Saturday Morning and TSN begins broadcasting at 10:30 am.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=204852&hubname=

I know Raptors at 10:30am and Flames @ 1pm.

I'm so pumped and my Saturday, is shot. Thank god the weather is awful.

FlamesFanInEdm
04-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Man i can only wish i could watch them both! However, I have a huge diferential equations final on Saturday at 2:00. Sometimes, being in engineering is brutal, I don't think any other faculties here at the UofA have finals on Saturdays. I'm going have to sacrifice some last minute cramming to watch the end of the Raptors game at least lol.
________
Marijuana Sativa (http://strainindex.com)

Bobblehead
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Sam Mitchell is Coach of the Year (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/04/24/mitchell.coy.ap/index.html).

Mitchell won the Red Auerbach Trophy in a decisive vote over Utah's Jerry Sloan. He picked up 49 first-place votes for a total of 394 points in balloting by 128 basketball writers and broadcasters. Sloan had 301 points followed by Dallas' Avery Johnson with 268.

CaramonLS
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
14-12 Raps after one. Missing open shots like crazy for both sides, still, they are getting good looks so it should improve.

CaramonLS
04-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Holy **** that was a great game. Back and forth, lead changes, what a battle for the entire night.

Parker stepped up huge.

KTown
04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Raptors need to steal a game in Jersey to pull this thing out. I just don't see them winning 3 in a row.

GO RAPS GO!