PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Direct

FFR
01-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Has anyone dealt with this company before? They are unbelievable. I bought a digital picture frame from them for a Christmas gift this year and was not happy with it when I got it so I returned it following all of their instructions. I recived an email telling me they had gotten my item and would be refunding my money....2 and a half weeks later, still no refund. I've called them three times (gave up on hold for 45 minutes twice and once they disconnected on me after giving me a message that their office was closed after I had been on hold for half an hour) and I've emailed them twice and haven't gotten any information. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this company and get my money back?

kipperfan
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.tigerdirectsucks.org/

Inferno
01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I used to buy parts from them until they stopped free shipping. One thing I did like about them was their fast shipping. I ordered a hard drive from them and it was shipped out within a couple hours.

I did get a lemon motherboard from them but I didnt have any problems returning it(besides having to phone Asus to get a return number) and getting my money refunded.

SoulOfTheFlame
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I duno..

I've had my computer I bought from them for 3 years and no problems. Dealt with them a lot, though I did have a friend that worked there so maybe he made sure I didn't get screwed :P

Igottago
01-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Just bought some RAM from them. Shipped yesterday. Price was decent. No issues so far, unless the RAM is dead on arrival. First time i've dealt with them though.

FFR
01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Well I wasn't intending to compete for the best horror story. Just looking for some advice.

However, I thought the company was great originally. The price was good, the shipping was fast and it arrived in fine condition, I just decided I didn't like it. Returning it was no problem, I just haven't gotten my refund yet.

Wasn't meant to be a horror story...just looking for advice.

Madman
01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I've had similar return problems. I refuse to deal with them ever again, good price or not.

boobaloo
01-24-2007, 08:00 AM
We ordered the wrong thing, refused the shipment and got a refund. I think hubby had to phone them a couple of times before the refund actually showed up. It was their idea to refuse the shipment, though, and the ups driver was a little upset about it. Other than a couple of 1-800 calls, it wasn't that hard to get our money back. Have you called them again?

FFR
01-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I've called them numerous times. I've always been told to be patient and that it is processing. It's just a very frustrating procedure. I looked up some stuff on their company today and apparently they had 956 (approx) complaints filed with the BBB within a period of 36 months. Some company....And to think while I"m sitting on hold all I hear is about how great their customer service is..."The best anywhere, anytime!"

boobaloo
01-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I've called them numerous times. I've always been told to be patient and that it is processing. It's just a very frustrating procedure. I looked up some stuff on their company today and apparently they had 956 (approx) complaints filed with the BBB within a period of 36 months. Some company....And to think while I"m sitting on hold all I hear is about how great their customer service is..."The best anywhere, anytime!"

That's too bad. It's a pet peeve of mine, in this day of electronic transfers. It takes 1/2 of a millisecond to get the money from you account and 3 months to put it back. I'll never figure that one out.

Bobblehead
01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Tiger Direct has a bad reputation from everything I've heard. For every happy customer there seem to be 2 unhappy customers.

I won't order from them for that reason.

Frank the Tank
01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I was sure hoping for more of a horror story than that. like this one ythat is building big time on RFD.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393838&page=1

Nearly 150,000 views in a couple days.

That guys story is INSANE. Thats the whole reason people go postal.

Bobblehead
01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I was sure hoping for more of a horror story than that. like this one ythat is building big time on RFD.

Really shows you the true value of the extra "Protection Plans" they try to push you into.

Hack&Lube
01-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I only shop Tiger Direct when they have free shipping promotions. Otherwise, I stay away.

Bobblehead
01-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Ahh, I saw this on Digg and didn't click through. 235,000+ views so far, and many people saying how BestBuy has lost their business. A bunch of those are probably BS, but I'm willing to bet that Best Buy has lost more business than the value of a TV.

Coelah
01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
As long as your item is in good working condition, you shouldn't have too much trouble with Tiger Direct. If it needs to be returned, well you could be in trouble. There's too many people who've had trouble getting the proper service with faulty goods for me.

I can't say enough good things about NCIX though. I've always received great and fast service through them. Really good at admitting a mistake if they've made one as well. One other thing that's good is their payment options. Pretty much can pay them any way you want. Online Bill Payment, Credit Card, PayPal, Cheque, the list goes on. The negative is shipping costs. Won't be cheap.

Prototype
01-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I've never heard of this company until stumbling upon this thread. Without clicking on any of the links, I think Tiger Direct and I won't be working on anything... ever. Thanks for the heads up.

Prototype
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Really shows you the true value of the extra "Protection Plans" they try to push you into.

I wish there was more people who go online and say "I got my camera fixed thanks to PSP." No one keeps track of when it works. In the last week at work, I've seen atleast 2-3 people who have gotten the PSP to work for them.

It's a shame that PSP doesn't cover stupidity of the employees in that story. It's not the PSP that is fault, it's the people involved.

Are you going to buy PSP cause of my post? Doubt it. Do I care? No. Everything I buy I get the plans, cause I want to make sure that stuff like this gets fixed, as long as I can get around the stupidity of the employees of the place I'm buying it.

Bobblehead
01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I wish there was more people who go online and say "I got my camera fixed thanks to PSP." No one keeps track of when it works. In the last week at work, I've seen atleast 2-3 people who have gotten the PSP to work for them.

It's a shame that PSP doesn't cover stupidity of the employees in that story. It's not the PSP that is fault, it's the people involved.

Are you going to buy PSP cause of my post? Doubt it. Do I care? No. Everything I buy I get the plans, cause I want to make sure that stuff like this gets fixed, as long as I can get around the stupidity of the employees of the place I'm buying it.

I'm just wondering about all the people posting in that thread alledging to be BB employees who all say teh same thing - use your credit card to double the manufacturers warranty and don't by the PSP.

Can you make the case for buying the PSP?

In my mind, if it is a product that I need to buy extra warranty then it is a product I don't want to buy.

Prototype
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't work for BB. I work for Future Shop.

First things first... most companies only cover their product for around one year only. Based on your statement, I reccomend not buying electronics at all if you think that based on warrenties provided is how the product will perform.

The only downside to this guys story is that it's a 61' TV. I know it should have been something that he wouldn't have to bring the item in, but if he brought it to our store, we'd ship it out. I'm pretty sure that if it was our store, we wouldn't go chincy on the repair guy. Had he called Samsung, and had a rep out, according to what I understand... he would have to pay for the repair up front, but take the reciept with his original, and be reimbursed.

When I've had to deal with PSP, it's been on products that are easily transported back to the store. Take a digital camera for isntance. Most people don't take proper care of the lense. If dirt and dust pile up in the lense, it can slow down the zoom, and in most cases sieze the zoom function all together. If this happens in year two, you have to pay for the full amount for the repair to your camera without the PSP. If it just slows down, most companies do not accept the item as 'broken'. The PSP will cover something like that. The manufacturer's warranty wont.

The main thing the PSP should do is provide a middleman so that if anything happens to your product, and you can bring it into the store, we'll get it back to the manufacturer, and go from there.

I can't speak for an Onterio Best Buy, and I have no idea why a repair guy who doesn't know the product was called. It isn't and wouldn't be how my management team would have handled the situation.

As I said before, it's a decision by the consumer to buy the PSP. If you don't want it, I won't loose any sleep. But it's when I get painted with a brush based on a story like that one as an idiot for trying to sell PSP, that's when I have a problem. It's a part of my job. You can politely decline at the point of purchase.

It's a gamble. You may buy the TV that lasts 25 years. But you may also be buying the item that dies after one year and one day. It's insurance more than anything. Just make sure you get all the information before buying it. Make sure that XXXX Repair Shop won't come see you.

Prototype
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
The thing about the story that turned it to brutal is the manager who stabbed him in the back told him he would phone back, lied about phoning back, would not meet him face to face and pretty much gave him the middle finger and said he cannot help any further. At that point when it is escalated, the people above that manger must fire the manager (after an investigation, or at least to commiting to firing him if said investigation points to dudes story being true). Anything less than that is completely unacceptable and it tells me that they accept and in fact encourage lying. They lost my business at that point.

That's my point. It's not the PSP that failed. It's the individuals handling the PSP that failed here. That's not customer service! And as someone posted here before when they encountered an inexperienced/unknowledegable individual, they just talked to someone else and got what they wanted.

I'm sure the person with the TV is doing the right thing by going above the store level, and also being in contact with Samsung is the most appropriate thing to do.

I_H8_Crawford
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
A couple things that **** me off about the PSP:
1) It is misleading - they tell you for instance, that on an iPod it's $80 for 3 years - WRONG. The 1st year Best Buy and Future Shop go through the manufacturer's warranty - so you are NOT paying for 3 years, you are paying $80 for 2 years. Same thing with laptops, digi cams, and from the looks of it TVs.
2) Price - I'm looking at purchasing a 50" Sony HDTV - Future shop wants $400 for 4 (but really 3) years. Sony's sonycare warranty is $250 for 3 years, or $400 for 5... and they cover pretty much the same thing. Wear and tear on a TV is BS - the bulb will burn out, but neither warranty will cover that, and I already use a Logitech Harmony remote so I don't care about my remote breaking. I've seen how hard it is to enact the No Lemon Policy as well, and just don't see where it's worth the extra money.

Prototype
01-24-2007, 04:55 PM
A couple things that **** me off about the PSP:
1) It is misleading - they tell you for instance, that on an iPod it's $80 for 3 years - WRONG. The 1st year Best Buy and Future Shop go through the manufacturer's warranty - so you are NOT paying for 3 years, you are paying $80 for 2 years. Same thing with laptops, digi cams, and from the looks of it TVs.

I know I used the term "extended warranty" earlier, but I'm glad you brought this up. When you buy the service plan for 3 years, it's not on top of the 1 year you get from the manufacturer. There's things that it will cover that your warranty wont.

2) Price - I'm looking at purchasing a 50" Sony HDTV - Future shop wants $400 for 4 (but really 3) years. Sony's sonycare warranty is $250 for 3 years, or $400 for 5... and they cover pretty much the same thing. Wear and tear on a TV is BS - the bulb will burn out, but neither warranty will cover that, and I already use a Logitech Harmony remote so I don't care about my remote breaking. I've seen how hard it is to enact the No Lemon Policy as well, and just don't see where it's worth the extra money.

It is 4 years. It will end 2011 if you bought it today. I understand the confussion tho. And it's a consumer product. You'd be dumb not to shop around. If you think that the Sony 'extended warranty' is the way to go, it's your choice. Just like it was your choice not to use their controler and buy a harmony controller. Just like it's your choice to never want to shop at a Future Shop.

As for the No Lemon, I've had it work for me. I had to take in a Sony Portable Minidisc player 4 times to get a latch fixed a year and a half after getting it as a birthday present. By the 4th time, they replaced it with a new one. It still works to this day. Had I not bought the PSP, I'd be stuck with a MD player that was a bitch to open, or a large repair bill.

Forgive me for defending it, but it's worked for me, and I sell it. I'm just trying to get rid of some of the misconceptions. Honostly I'd say 80% of the time that PSP doesn't work is employee failure, 10% is wrong expectations by customers, and 10% is that it just doesn't make sense for the product. I admit that. Do research, ask questions, ask for the manager to clearify if you have to... but PSP isn't as evil as people make it out to be.

I_H8_Crawford
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I know I used the term "extended warranty" earlier, but I'm glad you brought this up. When you buy the service plan for 3 years, it's not on top of the 1 year you get from the manufacturer. There's things that it will cover that your warranty wont.

It is 4 years. It will end 2011 if you bought it today. I understand the confussion tho. And it's a consumer product. You'd be dumb not to shop around. If you think that the Sony 'extended warranty' is the way to go, it's your choice. Just like it was your choice not to use their controler and buy a harmony controller. Just like it's your choice to never want to shop at a Future Shop.

I know it runs concurrently with the manu warranty, but the fact is 99.9% of the time, if anything breaks in the 1st year it is covered by the manufacturer - which means FS is charging me $400 to really only cover it themselves for 3 years.
The No Lemon policy chances of even kicking in in the 1st year is remote as they have IIRC the 90 day guarantee - so 4 times repaired at 90 days = 360 days - just in time for the manu warranty to end, hence the fact that FS doesn't do dick-all in the 1st year.
The fact is I have not seen a single thing that happens in the 1st year that would not be covered by the manufacturer but WOULD be covered by the PSP - hence the issues I have with them "justifying" the insane high price for PSP because it is "3 years on this laptop" when actually what it is is "1 year of manufacturer and 2 years of Future Shop"
Acer laptops (I feel sorry for anyone who bought one, BTW) for example - even if a customer has purchased the PSP - if anything goes wrong in the 1st year, the customer must contact and deal with Acer directly... yet they still paid the $400 or whatever it is for a "3 year" coverage from FS... that is BS, and rips off the customers, especially since customers are NEVER told this fact during the time of purchase. (I have friends that work there, that's how I know) ;)

Prototype
01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
The No Lemon policy chances of even kicking in in the 1st year is remote as they have IIRC the 90 day guarantee - so 4 times repaired at 90 days = 360 days - just in time for the manu warranty to end, hence the fact that FS doesn't do dick-all in the 1st year.

It's 30 days, but I understand your point, but the fact of the matter is if you do get the one that breaks 5 times in the first year, keep getting it repaired for free under the manucaturer's warranty.

If it breaks 4 times in 4 years it's covered. We had a lady this week bring in a Camera she's had for 3 years, and get full credit for what she paid towards a new camera thanks to the No Lemon. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't work for people :rolleyes: .

I_H8_Crawford
01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
It's 30 days, but I understand your point, but the fact of the matter is if you do get the one that breaks 5 times in the first year, keep getting it repaired for free under the manucaturer's warranty.

If it breaks 4 times in 4 years it's covered. We had a lady this week bring in a Camera she's had for 3 years, and get full credit for what she paid towards a new camera thanks to the No Lemon. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't work for people :rolleyes: .
I really haven't taken a position on the whole thing, I know my posts seem negative, but that's just because my biggest issue is that future shop/Best buy justify the insane prices on their warranties (that is what they are when you get down to it) vs other companies because of a)length (such as claiming it is a 3 year psp when in fact the 1st year is dealt with directly with the manyfacturer) and b) "extras"

Extras are debateable, but how can you justify telling someone that Future Shop will take care of their laptop for 3 years, when in fact you KNOW that the 1st year the customer must call up Acer, send the laptop to Acer and let Acer handle everything for that 1st year? IMO if the PSP is going to run concurrently with the manufacturer's warranty, future shop should be on the hook for the whole 3 years, especially for the insane prices paid for the warranty.

Winsor_Pilates
01-24-2007, 05:28 PM
The RFD story sounds exactly like what we went through with our projection TV from A&B sound about a year ago.

They took the TV away for almost 3 months in total, returning it unfixed and then taking it again twice and refused to use another service company for the 3 months.
Plus they gave us the runaround no matter where we called. A&B would tell us to call the service shop who would tell us to call A&B and back and forth. It was one of the most annoying experiences of all time.

Finally after 3 months, they agreed to send someone from another company and the guy fixed it 20 min. I couldn't believe it.

RougeUnderoos
01-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm resigned to the fact that the service I get is pretty much going to suck every time no matter who I'm dealing with. I was blatantly lied to just today by a Shaw employee. There is no use getting worked up over it, but I still do.

I know I know, the people who post on here are great at doing their job, answering the phone, selling the warranties, but next time you are at work look to the left and right of you and tell those people to shape up.