PDA

View Full Version : [Rumour] Sergei Kostitsyn to Flames on PTO

the_only_turek_fan
09-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Mark Bowie ‏@OilBuoy 13h13 hours ago
According to Jim Matheson, Sergei Kostitsyn will be at the Calgary Flames’ training camp on a PTO.

I am just the messenger.

Update from Moderator:

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
On #Flames and Kostitsyn. They talked to Sergei (my bad, not Andrei) about a PTO, but that was a while back before he signed in the KHL.

Muta
09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Take your message and return to sender!

burn_this_city
What the..

CroFlames
I guess never given right. BT creating competition up and down the lineup.

Cole436
09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Gross.

FBI
09-10-2015, 11:33 AM
lol. NEED MORE BODIES!!

Locke
09-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Haha...the absolute antithesis of a Flames player.

http://i.imgur.com/ft7xDn6.gif

dammage79
09-10-2015, 11:34 AM
That's the good one right? By good I mean the one with a good team first attitude. If not.... why him?

Benched
09-10-2015, 11:35 AM
That's the good one right? By good I mean the one with a good team first attitude. If not.... why him?

they need an 'example' for the kids of what talent gets you without attitude.

Cole436
09-10-2015, 11:36 AM

No, this is the #### bag. I'm surprised he hasn't burned all his bridges in the NHL.

ResAlien
09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Random Oilers fan with 20 followers getting the scoop on Flames news eh? Seems legit.

Coach
Got no problems with PTOs. Literally no risk, and if it forces guys to chin the bar at camp, I'm all for it.

dammage79
Hey, if Treliving thinks the team bond is strong enough to carry a super talented cry baby party/nancy boy, by all means, give him a shot. I'm not going to question Brads motives right now. He's been the Dumbledore of the NHL GM world all summer.

Locke
09-10-2015, 11:42 AM
It's being reported in the Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/oilers+prospect+anton+slepyshev+intriguing+player+ watch/11351688/story.html

Yeah...I think his point still stands...;)

Finger Cookin
09-10-2015, 11:43 AM
What the..

http://i.imgur.com/cPTdzKI.gif

BergyBoy
09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Someone beat me to it.

habernac
09-10-2015, 11:48 AM
His brother has all the talent in the world. But when your motivation is nowhere to be seen...

MissTeeks
09-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Seems odd considering he's currently playing a KHL game. Just scored a goal, too.

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Seems like it was the good one that was supposed to come:

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak now3 seconds ago
Told Andrei Kostitsyn won’t come to Calgary on a PTO because he has a deal with a KHL team.

Cole436
09-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Seems like it was the good one that was supposed to come:

Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak now3 seconds ago
Told Andrei Kostitsyn won’t come to Calgary on a PTO because he has a deal with a KHL team.

So are we still getting Sergie or was this a mix up with Andrei?

Locke
09-10-2015, 12:06 PM

Maybe they have a third brother who will show up with sunglasses with a fake nose and mustache?

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:06 PM

Not sure, according to MissTeeks, Sergei is playing and scoring goals as we speak in the KHL. So I think this is all a misunderstanding. Who knows. It seems something was going to happen between the Flames and a Kostitsyn, that's as much as anyone knows.

Ashasx
09-10-2015, 12:07 PM
So, a Kostitsyn will be coming to training camp, we just don't know which one?

Sec218
09-10-2015, 12:09 PM
It's just an Oiler beat writer messing with us.:eek:

devo22
09-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Maybe they have a third brother who will show up with sunglasses with a fake nose and mustache?
http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/300x250/9984.jpg

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I asked Sportak and he gave me a vague answer. I tweeted that word is it was Sergei and not Andrei that was rumored to be coming, asked if that side of it was true and he answered, "well there was a rumor".

ResAlien
09-10-2015, 12:10 PM

SerGuy Incogneto?

Ashasx
09-10-2015, 12:11 PM
5i_7s45q7wc#t=23

FlamesAddiction
09-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Wow, that was terrible. That was Taylor Hall bad.

getbak
09-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Seems odd considering he's currently playing a KHL game. Just scored a goal, too.
http://text.khl.ru/en/46001.html

Here's his goal: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/300295

Locke
09-10-2015, 12:19 PM
5i_7s45q7wc#t=23

Yikes. That was rough.

Against the Oilers no less. Not exactly paragons of effort themselves.

getbak
09-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Wow, that was terrible. That was Taylor Hall bad.
Maybe that's where Hall got the idea.

"Hey, Jordan, I noticed that Kostitsyn didn't get a minus on that play where he gave up and left the ice when we had a 2-on-1 against them. What a smart guy."

SuperMatt18
09-10-2015, 12:32 PM
From that KHL game sheet both Andrei and Sergei are playing in that game.

If they have KHL contracts they wouldn't be able to come to the NHL as per the agreement.

Nothing to see here.

handgroen
09-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Yikes. That was rough.

Against the Oilers no less. Not exactly paragons of effort themselves.

thanked for correct use of the word "paragon"

word of the day people.

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:38 PM
From that KHL game sheet both Andrei and Sergei are playing in that game.

If they have KHL contracts they wouldn't be able to come to the NHL as per the agreement.

Nothing to see here.

I cannot say that is gospel. There are KHL contracts with NHL opt out clauses. But you're likely right, nothing to see here. Would be fascinating to see some Russian skill in camp though, I do like Andrei, and Sergei when he is on his game like Radulov can be a game changer. Karnhaukov will be fun to watch.

Cole436
09-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Posted at HF

What apparently caught the KHL completely by surprise was the decision by Minsport not to allow the KHL to exempt Belarusan and Kazakh players from the foreign player limit, even though those countries, along with Russia, are part of the Eurasian Economic Union. The KHL exempted Belarusans from the foreign player limit for the first time last season, and it had been widely assumed that not only would that situation remain in force, but that players from Kazakhstan would now also not count as foreign.

Since Monday, three Belarusans have been let go by their Russian clubs: forwards Konstantin Koltsov (HK Sochi), Vyacheslav Makritsky (Torpedo), and Alexei Yefimenko (Sibir). There are rumours that one or both of the Kostitsyn brothers will shortly be leaving Torpedo, too, as that team is still one player over the new limit.

https://conwaysrussianhockey.wordpress.com/2015/08/30/untangling-the-foreign-player-mess/

FlamesAddiction
09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
I cannot say that is gospel. There are KHL contracts with NHL opt out clauses. But you're likely right, nothing to see here. Would be fascinating to see some Russian skill in camp though, I do like Andrei, and Sergei when he is on his game like Radulov can be a game changer. Karnhaukov will be fun to watch.

Yeah, Marcel Hossa recently signed with Riga, but the contract had an "NHL opt out" clause, which I thought was odd at the time.

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Ooo the Plot thickens.

dammage79
09-10-2015, 12:44 PM
And, if any coach can get a player to buy in and perform at their peak, it's Bob the re-builder Hartley.

ComixZone
09-10-2015, 01:10 PM
If true, cool.

If he earns a position, he'll have earned a position. If not? Oh well.

foshizzle11
09-10-2015, 01:13 PM
interesting...I wonder if we will be hearing anything about this from the Flames and co.

MrMastodonFarm
09-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Ryan Pike ‏@RyanNPike (https://twitter.com/RyanNPike) 10s11 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/RyanNPike/status/642054193486782464) Update: Andrei Kostitsyn coming to #flames (https://twitter.com/hashtag/flames?src=hash) camp on PTO, not Sergei. Both former Habs and Preds forwards.

dammage79
09-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Cool, Andrei's the good egg. Super cool. I have no problem at all with him coming to camp and earning a spot. Good player.

EDIT, He's also a real solid option for the #2 line LW slot if he earns it. Has the skill and he skating to keep up. Plus, after watching some refresher highlights, the guy can hit too.

MrMastodonFarm
09-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Interesting article from back in July about Andrei Kostitsyn hoping to return.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kostitsyn-hoping-for-another-chance-in-nhl/
It’s a long shot.

It might even be longer than that
But the odds haven’t kept Andrei Kostitsyn from clamouring for an opportunity to return to the NHL. He isn’t picky about where it happens. He’s willing to sign a cap-friendly, one-year deal. All he’s really asking for is a chance.

“I’m ready,” Kostitsyn told Sportsnet from Minsk, Belarus on Thursday night. “I want to say when I come there again I’ll be excited like it’s the first time. I’m doing my best — training hard and working hard.

"I'll try to score lots of goals like I know I can."

skudr248
09-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Andrei wouldn't be that bad to see on a PTO, RW RH Shot

ComixZone
09-10-2015, 01:30 PM
Andrei wouldn't be that bad to see on a PTO, RW RH Shot

Both Kostitsyn brothers shoot left.

saillias
09-10-2015, 01:30 PM

Andrei peaked first and then became useless and was pushed out to the KHL

Sergei peaked later, then became useless and was pushed out to the KHL

Not really sure about this.

SofaProfessor
09-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Might as well take a chance. Andrei is a half point per game player in the NHL. Creates some competition on that right side. If he doesn't cut it then it's just a PTO. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Many of the comments in this thread are uncalled for and are out of line. It will remained closed and the posters will be dealt with accordingly.

The rules of the board are pretty simple, but it all comes down to respect. If you don't like what someone posted or their posting style, use the ignore feature. It's not that difficult.

The first post will be updated with the latest information on the rumour.

09-10-2015, 10:14 PM
All the off-topic posts have been removed and the thread opened up for discussion.

As was mentioned above, please treat others with respect. Do not talk down to others, no insults. If there is an issue please report the post. And using the ignore feature might help as well.

Thank you.

JurassicTunga12
09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
So it's either Andrei or Sergei? or nobody is coming at all?

I'd prefer Andrei Kostitsyn.

Caged Great
09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
This is not a bad idea. It is never a bad idea to have someone come in on a try out. What's the worst thing that can happen? They get cut. Big deal.

Calgary is quickly developing a reputation for being able to work with players to deal with their substance abuse issues with a good support system in place from the coaching staff and players through the rest of the organization. The Kostitsyn's main problem was being ridiculous with their drinking problems and is a major reason why they went to the KHL in the first place. Perhaps they (still unclear which of the two is coming) want to try and have a fresh start and sought the Flames out specifically for that.

More competition cannot hurt. They will go into the season with the best 23 players. If Kostitsyn emerges as one of them, then the Flames will be a better team because of it. If not, then the Flames will be the exact same as they would have been if he didn't try out. No harm done.

Da_Chief
09-11-2015, 07:33 AM
From BT's Fan 960 interview he said they're looking at other PTOs but nothing is imminent. He doesn't want a create a situation where guys turn around and there''s yet another additional guy. I think there's probably some truth to this but nothing done and may not get done.

Calgary4LIfe
09-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I don't think that there is anything wrong with handing either one of them (or even both) a PTO. If it works out, great - that is found money. If it doesn't, the Flames only assure of themselves one thing - that camp was indeed competitive and the better options pushed through and met the challenge.

Even if either one of them signs, I would expect the cap hit to be minimal anyways. If they start faltering, they just go down to Stockton (and while doing so, who knows if some other team picks him off waivers).

I had hopes Setoguchi would turn his career around last year. I think he got a very fair shot, and for the most part, he kept up with the play but just couldn't score. In the end, it was starting to look like things just wouldn't work out for him, and he went down to the Heat. I don't think that was a bad thing at all - especially considering all the injuries the Flames were faced with at the start of the season.

With Jooris and Colborne not looking like they are at 100% to start already, and the possibility of having even more injuries happen throughout camp/preseason, it might just be a shrewd move to have a few guys signed on PTOs as a bit of an insurance policy, as well as to just ratchet up the competition level.

RandySportak
09-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Please allow me to clear up what I know because I messed up things by putting Andrei in that tweet instead of Sergei yesterday.

The Flames were looking to bring Sergei - the younger one - on a PTO but I was told that was a few weeks ago when they talked to him. In the meantime, Sergei signed a contract in the KHL and it's all moot now.
At least that's what I was told yesterday.
Sorry to all for the confusion - when I finally had a chance, I put something on Twitter, but it shows the issue that can come when you make a mistake.

FlamesAddiction
09-11-2015, 09:24 AM
So the short story is that neither Kostityn will be coming on a PTO. I can live with that.

It's still interesting that they kicked the tires on him.

I wonder what other free agents are still out there that they might be taling flyers on.

heep223
09-11-2015, 09:36 AM
With Jooris and Colborne not looking like they are at 100% to start already,

I must have missed this. I thought they both had wrist surgery right after the season and will be 100% good to go for camp?

Calgary4LIfe
09-11-2015, 09:42 AM
I must have missed this. I thought they both had wrist surgery right after the season and will be 100% good to go for camp?

I think it was on the Fan960(? - read and listened so much lately, maybe I am confused as to where it came from) that they may not be 100%. For sure Colborne is not 100%, but might be good enough to start, but you might be right with Jooris being more ready.

Byron may not as well with his surgery (though apparently, the recovery is going well - but just may not be ready).

heep223
09-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Hmm. Would appreciate if anyone who knows for sure could chime in on this because that's the first I've heard.

MissTeeks
09-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Hmm. Would appreciate if anyone who knows for sure could chime in on this because that's the first I've heard.

I posted this article yesterday that talks about Colborne's wrist:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/10/flames-forward-joe-colborne-may-not-be-100-come-opening-of-training-camp

Flames Draft Watcher
09-11-2015, 09:48 AM

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=148961

heep223
09-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Behind the times I see. Thanks!

Jacks
09-11-2015, 12:17 PM
If the choice was between Andrei and Sergei I'm glad we ended up with none of the above.

dammage79
09-11-2015, 12:30 PM
I liked the idea honestly. Bring in a guy who has a shot at the #2 LW spot where I think there is a bit of weakness. Raymond if he comes in and has a good camp is the most likely guy to be the one but there's some iffyness surrounding him around here and thats fine.

Andrei IMO would have been a solid fit for Frolik-Bennett. Similar playing styles all around. Now I want to nerd out a bit and see if any other potential semi-veteran scoring LW's are out there available for a PTO.

There's Erat available according to General Fanager. Jiri Tlusty is still out there too which is a bit surprising. Aside from the trade of Erat I don't think he's a terrible addition for a PTO, he is 33 though. Brings good size and can produce on a good line if healthy. Tlusty is a bit like Raymond but is only 26.

GreenLantern2814
09-11-2015, 01:44 PM
I liked the idea honestly. Bring in a guy who has a shot at the #2 LW spot where I think there is a bit of weakness. Raymond if he comes in and has a good camp is the most likely guy to be the one but there's some iffyness surrounding him around here and thats fine.

Andrei IMO would have been a solid fit for Frolik-Bennett. Similar playing styles all around. Now I want to nerd out a bit and see if any other potential semi-veteran scoring LW's are out there available for a PTO.

There's Erat available according to General Fanager. Jiri Tlusty is still out there too which is a bit surprising. Aside from the trade of Erat I don't think he's a terrible addition for a PTO, he is 33 though. Brings good size and can produce on a good line if healthy. Tlusty is a bit like Raymond but is only 26.

I'd rather count on Raymond having a bounce back year than bringing in any of the flying Kostitsyns, Erat or Tlusty. Raymond came back to be a full time NHL player after a broken neck. He's got some ability to overcome adversity. First years of UFA contracts are tough on some players - I can't imagine coming home to play makes things easier. With a full year and an understanding of the coaching staff, organization, expectations etc, I would think Raymond is a prime candidate for a rebound. He's still young, he can still skate, and if you play him in a top 9 role, there's no reason he can score 15-20 goals with 20 helpers.

GioforPM
09-11-2015, 01:48 PM
I'd rather count on Raymond having a bounce back year than bringing in any of the flying Kostitsyns, Erat or Tlusty. Raymond came back to be a full time NHL player after a broken neck. He's got some ability to overcome adversity. First years of UFA contracts are tough on some players - I can't imagine coming home to play makes things easier. With a full year and an understanding of the coaching staff, organization, expectations etc, I would think Raymond is a prime candidate for a rebound. He's still young, he can still skate, and if you play him in a top 9 role, there's no reason he can score 15-20 goals with 20 helpers.

I agree with that. Raymond has tended to alternate mediocre and good years. If he can play like his year in Toronto, I think he will be better than either Ks. And he could just be like Wideman, taking time to find his role.

dammage79
09-11-2015, 04:48 PM
I suppose Granlund could earn that spot too. Granlund-Bennett- Frolik? I like that too.

Pierre "Monster" McGuire
09-12-2015, 09:19 AM
I suppose Granlund could earn that spot too. Granlund-Bennett- Frolik? I like that too.

This is what I'm hoping and praying for. Granlund doesn't have the build to be a centerman in the NHL. In the AHL, yes. He was borderline dominant there.

Ward played him and Reinhart both on the wings just so they have that experience in case they need to switch at some point in their careers. I think Granlund would do really well in a top-6 LW role. He still hasn't shown the offence he dominated the AHL with. It'll come yet.

dustygoon
09-12-2015, 12:02 PM
What the? Us dumb armchair pundits like me usually overreact and base opinions on partial information. But once in a while even my uninformed spidey sense is right.

I don't care how talented either brother is. I don't want guys with obvious prior behavior and lack of effort issues on this team. No matter how cheap. Especially given how young these guys are and how close the dressing room is.

Find the goals somewhere else. Treliving is lucky Sergei was already committed elsewhere.

smiggy77
09-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Wait so is there one, both, or none of the Kostitsyn brothers signing a PTO. Can we change the title or close this thread? it's way too confusing!

StrykerSteve
09-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Wait so is there one, both, or none of the Kostitsyn brothers signing a PTO. Can we change the title or close this thread? it's way too confusing!

None.