PDA

View Full Version : Holy popups batman

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Not sure what changed, but any click of threads, forward or back, and up comes an ad. Actually, it is blank, but it is a popup nonetheless. Not cool.

Ottoman Empire
08-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Ya, what the hell? Every single click produces an isg##.caselemedia.com blank window. Huh?!

photon
08-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Hm, which browser are you guys using? I haven't seen that behaviour on either IE or FireFox here.

Bingo
08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Just trying a new ad server guys ... have to generate some revenue from this time consuming hobbey.

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Bingo@Aug 10 2005, 02:52 PM
Just trying a new ad server guys ... have to generate some revenue from this time consuming hobbey.
I can appreciate that Bingo, but it isn't even an ad I am getting, and the frequency is crazy... every click...anywhere... forwards, backwards... something isn't right.

Photon, I am on IE6 (running Windows 2000).

Here is a screen shot.....

http://www.datadimensions.ca/Flames/PopupCraziness.jpg

it is just the header, as the rest of the page is blank....

photon
08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Hm.. do you have casalemedia.com blocked for sites or cookies or something? They must have some code to ensure you don't get a popup every single refresh and somehow that code isn't running on your computer.

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I had IE set not to accept their cookies (as I do for most every site I go to, other than CP)

Took it out, and now I still get the popups.... but I do see the ads.

photon
08-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Do they still come up on every page?

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Yup.... any click.

And it doesn't look like it was trying to set cookies anyway... I have Cookiewall, and it isn't advising me that there are new cookies.

photon
08-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Hm, there might be another way that it's keeping track, but it should only pop up every so often rather than every click.

I'll do some more research.

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks Photon. Bloody frustrating!! :angry:

Ottoman Empire
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Same with me. I am using Firefox and I get pop-ups every time I click on anything. It'll have the same domain but with a diff number each time:

isg20casalemedia.com

isg18casalemedia.com

etc, etc.

Something is definitely not right.

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Crap... now I am getting TWO when I back out of a thread....

Ottoman Empire
08-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Shawnski, go into Options then the cookies area if using FF browser and you'll see that casalemedia may be blocked. Unblock it and the pop-ups should disappear. It worked for me.

Shawnski
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Ottoman, I did that before, and it didn't work.

But I have played around a bit, and here is what does work.

In IE, I now have it set to Always Allow, but in Cookiewall, I have it as Always Delete. So this popup ad site can plant as many cookies as they like, but they get punted immediately. I can live with that.

God I hate popups. Worse than spam.

Reggie Dunlop
08-11-2005, 02:11 AM
No offense -- I'm all for a feller recouping his costs, but these pop-ups are particularly virulent and obnoxious. Every click is a new one.

I'm using Apple Safari which normally blocks them out, but these ones require me to quit the program outright because you can't close them. They refuse to leave the screen.

Tyler
08-11-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm using Safari too...

Bingo, I don't mind paying $10 a year or whatever each fundraiser, but I will not support this place if I have 300 popups strewn about my screen. That just totally ruins the experience of coming here :(

Table 5
08-11-2005, 08:42 AM
add my name to the disguntled list. Id rather pay a fee than this....it is totally ruining the Calgarypuck experience, especially when after 10 minutes i have about 25 popup windows to close.

Bingo
08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
So did Shawnski - Ottoman's fix help or should I pull the code?

KevanGuy
08-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Are the pop-ups slowing the board down for anyone else? I find it takes a little while longer for the pages to load. I get 'Waiting for ag.caselmedia.com'

Barnes
08-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I am using safari and firefox as well and this is driving me nuts. I already HAVE an iPod.

Although I am new to this site, I am pretty sure that a lot of people would pay for certain things. You can generate revenue other ways. I am willing to help with ideas, site redesign, or contributions if you want. If 3kund can get people to part with their money than why not CP and actually offer services.
________
Wicca advice (http://www.religionboard.org/wicca/)

I-Hate-Hulse
08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
This new banner server is serving up some pretty crappy ads. Win and iPod or Click on Brad Pitt isn't going to get nearly the response that nikehockey.ca one would.

Don't they match up demographics and interests with CP?

I'd suggest a fundraising drive if costs are getting a little to high rather than dialing up the banners.

Table 5
08-14-2005, 10:06 PM
so has there been any solution found for us Safari uses? Im not about to change browsers and have to redo all my bookmarks for CP, so it would be nice to find a fix to this. its slowing my computer down quite a bit. :(

Barnes
08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
The only way to kill the pop unders is to disable Javascript in Safari. Not a great fix but it works.
________
DILAUDID REHAB FORUMS (http://www.rehab-forum.com/dilaudid-rehab/)

Barnes
08-15-2005, 10:49 AM
When I click a link in a post, the link window pops under as well.
________
DRAGONBALL Z FORUMS (http://www.tv-gossip.com/dragonball-z/)

Five-hole
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Turning on block popups on Safari (apple-K) helped a little. But otherwise add me to the disgruntled list also.

(It's fine on my PC at work with Firefox, but on my Mac at home with Safari it is practically unusable.)

Vulcan
08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
I have a new computer using firefox on Shaw highspeed and this site has become very frustrating with the castlemedia cookies bringing my surfing to a delay or halt. If I was still on Shaw lite I don't think I would be able to use this site. I use ewido security to get rid of the cookies after every visit, a real pain in the neck.

Reggie Dunlop
08-17-2005, 01:23 AM
I really don't understand why these advertising companies have to go to these great lengths to be so pervasive. Will I click on their ads? Hell no. And I'm all for generating clicks on this site. But this Casale Media campaign is annoying.

4X4
08-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Aug 11 2005, 05:26 PM
Are the pop-ups slowing the board down for anyone else? I find it takes a little while longer for the pages to load. I get 'Waiting for ag.caselmedia.com'
Yup... Usually, pages load in less than 5 seconds. Now it's in the 10-15 second range. Not such a big deal, but man does it suck when you're entering a thread because the goofball author left some cliffhanger in the title, then you discover that it's a thread about something lame like wrestling. :P

I-Hate-Hulse
08-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by KevanGuy@Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
Ditto, and it's really taking away from the CalgaryPuck experience... Lots of timeouts waiting for the caselmedia adverts to load. I can accept banners but they shouldn't slow down the site as much as they do now.

There has to be an online ad firms that targets sport loving males (mostly) there...where are the beer and alcohol ads? I'll bet more of us click on a cool looking Molson ad (or Si Swimsuit link) before we click on the "Digital Timer at eBay - Compact Digital Timers" banner that's below this box as I type.

calf
08-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 17 2005, 05:10 PM
I'll bet more of us click on a cool looking Molson ad (or Si Swimsuit link) before we click on the "Digital Timer at eBay - Compact Digital Timers" banner that's below this box as I type.
What about these timely ads?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/calf/banner.gif

Barnes
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Looks like they are gone. Thanks.
________
Weed (http://wwweed.com/)

Frank the Tank
08-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Is there any time-frame for getting some sort of fix for the Safari browser and these pop-ups. This is beyond annoying. Makes the site unreadable. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to stop reading the site until this is fixed.

photon
08-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Alright, let me know if you have any more problems with popups in the forum pages.

Bingo
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
For the record guys ... never trying to cause any havoc to your Calgarypuck experience, just trying to make a little coin.

Photon has now removed the pop unders (or is in the process of doing such) and we'll relaunch with a newer look that allows some scraper ads on the right with some new story links etc.

I think the look is better this way anyway, but it should solve the pop up issue at the same time while not killing the revenue stream.