Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Bouwmeester Acquisition: What has it Accomplished?

The Flames had a disappointing end to the '08-'09 campaign, with a promising start morphing into a mess of injuries that contributed to a surrender of the division lead, and a subsequent first-round loss to the upstart Blackhawks. Post-mortem analysis revealed that the Flames had no problem putting the puck in the net, but had issues on the other end. Exit Keenan, enter Brent.

Also, with Cammalleri's uninspiring post-season play, Sutter bid him adieu and instead looked at bolstering his blueline with the highly sought-after Bouwmeester. As he was unable to help the Panthers into the playoffs and the team was obviously going nowhere, it was clear he was going to free agency, and he did. Sort of. Sutter made the deal of the off-season and swung Leopold and a 3rd for his rights, and the rest is history.

Sort of. As we all know, Jay Bouwmeester had an up and down 2009/2010 with the Flames. Darryl got his money's worth from the defensive standpoint but Bouw's offensive output dropped from 15 to 3 goals. Yikes.

Now here we are in the current season where most of the Flames have been inconsistent. The number one pairing of Bouwmeester/Regehr looks great but the Flames are near the bottom of the conference in GAA and Bouwmeester still isn't playing the way he used to in the Southleast division. He's already matched his goal output from last season but hasn't been effective on the powerplay and the Flames are still floundering in that regard.

Just my own thoughts on him in general....

Positives:

- Excellent skater, obviously. Even when he's out of position I usually don't worry because he'll get back with ease. The guy takes a few strides and is halfway down the ice.

- Positional play. He knows where the opposition is going, so he can angle them away from their destination. He knows which way the puck is going, so he can nonchalantly knock it away from an onrushing player.

- NHL iron man. I forget what the exact number is, but I believe it's over 470 consecutive games in a row. In a league where injuries occur with regularity, it's nice to have a defenseman that you can count on.

Negatives:

- NHL iron man. He's not supposed to be the Scott Stevens of his generation, but it would be nice to see this guy throw a hit once in a while. He's good using the angle to take away time and space, but the open ice play just isn't there.

- Personality. Of course I don't know how the guy is off the ice but he seems to be a bit of a weirdo. It doesn't really have anything to do with hockey, but my favorite players are all guys who know how to interact and make people want to cheer for them; this is part of why he hasn't really endeared himself to me.

- That special something. It's lacking. I don't know how to put it into words, but Phaneuf had it (had being the operational word), Regehr has it, Giordano has it. It's the thing where you can count on the player to do something at a critical time to contribute to a team win. Haven't seen it from Bouw.

I would say that Bouwmeester has definitely stabilized the blueline, but in the end he has not been able to contribute to a successful team and seems to be headed to another year of no chance at the Cup. Do you think the Flames have gotten what they wanted out of #4?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Cecil Terwilliger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Do you think the Flames have gotten what they wanted out of #4?
Short answer: not by a mile. But the rest of the team is so bad it is hard to tell if it is us that killed him or if he's part of the problem.

Methinks, a little of column A and a little of column B.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Bouwmeester acquistion has provided the team with a big minute number one defenseman moving forward. Phaneuf was obviously not going to be that guy.

You take Jay-Bo off this team and add Cammalleri right now, and the Flames would be in even worse shape.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank God he's improved upon last season, or the pitchforks would have been out.

On many nights he's been our number one dman in my opinion, yes even better than giordano. (For all the hockey smarts giordano shows offensively, his plays never really create any goals).

The problem for this team is a lack of quality forwards in the top 6. Outside of Iginla, stajan, jokinen, bourque, hagman, tanguay, etc are NOT impact forwards, and not good enough to to be relied on to generate offense and cash in on opportunities.

Bouwmeester has been a positive light to a dung-filled season in my eyes.
bubbsy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He brought more Florida Panthers culture to the team in addition to Jokinen which complements the culture the Leafs players brought in from the Phaneuf deal.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
DeluxeMoustache
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough call. Jay Bouw is a great skater. He has contributed to some wins and some losses.

Overall the team has gotten the same results with Jay as they have with Brent.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
CSharp
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames do not need Bouwmeester on the team. The Flames needs a number one centerman for so many years. Sutter just got greedy with all the d-men and neglected to plug that big hole up front. Basically, you're seeing a team that can't score goals when it's needed and that's why they're where they are.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
DeluxeMoustache
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He brought more Florida Panthers culture to the team in addition to Jokinen.
And not only that, he made Phaneuf expendable which allows them to bring in more Leafs culture too!
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He brought more Florida Panthers culture to the team in addition to Jokinen.
nahh, he's been good this season. he's making less bonehead plays , carrying the puck up more and lurking for offensive chances more this season.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
nahh, he's been good this season. he's making less bonehead plays , carrying the puck up more and lurking for offensive chances more this season.
He's played better but is it a coincidence that early springs follow him wherever he goes?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

my only quesiton is for a "copy cat" league, who the F is sutter trying to emulate to become successful in the current NHL?!?

No youth, few offensive players, and an overpaid defense (especiallly last season), what teams have proven that is a successful recipe, or is this sutter's attempt at being innovative and a trend setter?!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bouwmeester is the least of the Flames problems in my opinion. Him, Gio and Regehr cap a decent top defence. It's the latter parts that are killing the Flames. We have had 3.6M and 2.8M slow and past their prime dmen alternate in the press box. What a waste of cap space. We have Pardy who still makes rookie style mistakes. I don't see too much upside in him anymore. We have Babchuk with bad defense and a booming shot we rarely see. We have Mickelsson who should be in Abbotsford.

Hopefully Brodie, Errixxon, Pelech and Negrin can all be on the club within the next few seasons to compliment Bouwmeester and Giordiano. If you can build off of those 2 dmen I like that look going forward.

pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to rate Bouwmeester but if anything I would say that this team would be in much worse shape without him going forward BUT in the end it doesn't matter if you lose 2-1 or 5-1 it still goes in the loss column.

As far as offense is concerned it is what it is. If the Flames forwards could actually put the puck on net, generate some rebounds and actually pot some goals i'm sure we wouldn't be having this debate about Bouwmeesters offense. Any d-man's numbers would suffer in this stagnant offense.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's played better but is it a coincidence that early springs follow him wherever he goes?
true. I've been one of the biggest "jbo" haters on CP coming into the season. he's still leaves a lot to be desired but can't shoulder the blame for the craptastic play of the team on him as much as last year, that's for sure.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
CSharp
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
The Bouwmeester acquistion has provided the team with a big minute number one defenseman moving forward. Phaneuf was obviously not going to be that guy.

You take Jay-Bo off this team and add Cammalleri right now, and the Flames would be in even worse shape.
Cammi is not a number one centerman that the Flames needed. But when he was here, the Flames had scored more goals than with Bouw for almost 1 and half seasons. If given a chance to get someone who can score and the best d-man in the league, I'd take the scorer 100% of the time over the d-man. You can play D all game long and not score, you likely won't win he game. If the player can score at will or is a threat to score at any time, I think this is the game changer. I really could care less about the defence right now since Regehr, Gio, and Sarich are healthy.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
Ren
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's fallen well short of expectations but he's still a valuable player. I wish he was making a lot less than he is but in the event of a rebuild he'd be one of the few I would keep.

Honestly, he and Gio are the last two guys I would move off this team.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ren For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With a good manager it probably would have given us the ability to trade Dion and bring in some high end talent. Alas, 'twas not to be!
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

His salary and cap hit is a negative as well. He isn't horrible, but no way is he worth $6.7 million. Players who make that much need to be able to carry a team from time to time, and they need to be game changers. For the most part, he is a passenger.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bouw is fine, he just makes about 1.5 million too much. He isn't to be blamed for this team sucking ever since he got here, he's doing what he can.

Hindsight being what it is, as soon as he was acquired, Dion should have been traded and Cammy brought back.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

our problem is our lack of primary, secondary, and tertiary scoring.

yes, more goals or assists would be most welcome from our D including Bouwmeester, but we need goals from the forwards.

i just ask myself what $6 million per year cap space could do for us...and then i remember that this gets us staios and kotalik. i'd rather 6 mill on bouw.

If you go down in Flames, at least you were on fire.

The future is bright; the future is Flames.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote