Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New York travel advice

Okay, the missus and I are going to NYC in late May. Our daughter will be there with her new husband on their honeymoon. No wise cracks please. It's a big city; we don't have to see each other. Please offer your best advice of things to see and do. I'll be attending a conference so won't have a tonne of time but the wife will have lots of free time. We've never been there before and are interested in the cool stuff, history, etc.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hit a Papa John's for the true taste of New York.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Berger_4_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
i look at the thread title, saw the one reply, and thought "what are the chances?"

good show sir
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

You may want to visit a mall. Perhaps a GAP.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When we went a few years ago we did a lot of the usual - went to the top of the Empire State, took a ferry out to the Statue of Liberty, did a lot of walking - China Town, Little Italy, a lot of shopping, Saks, Bloomies, etc. Walked around Tiffany's (even asked them what was the cheapest item they had - a $50 lead crystal paper weight - tiny - which I bought just so I could have the teal blue bag and satin bow!). Went to some great diners as well. Nothing fancy for us. Just a mixin' with the locals.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh - I nearly forgot - on the recommendation of a friend Bar 89 on Mercer Street. Don't ask but you have to visit the washrooms there .....
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Oh - I nearly forgot - on the recommendation of a friend Bar 89 on Mercer Street. Don't ask but you have to visit the washrooms there .....
ha ha... I've been there a few times and the bathrooms are pretty cool. Actually it's not a bad little place and while busy you can usually get a table and the staff are quite friendly. Nothing too NY unique about it.

If you can, head down Mercer street and check out MercBar. If it's nice they'll open the doors to the street and it's a great bar.

Could always spend an afternoon at MOMA. My recollection (but I may be wrong) is that it's pretty close to a number of other sites, such as Radio City Music Hall so you can get a fair amount of touristy things done that day.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
Don't forget the Sbarro
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveToms For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Fobulous
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been to NYC a few times and here are my thoughts....

1. Don't take the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty. You can easily see if from the park and it really isn't worth the money to take the ferry out.

2. Definitely check out Times Square. I have been to NYC at least 5 times and each time that place amazes me. Just go walk around and I guarantee you will enjoy it.

3. The subway is the best way to get around. It is easy, quick, and relatively cheap once you figure in how much it costs to park anywhere in NYC.

Hope that helps!

-FoB.
Fobulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Forget the Empire State Building ... go look at it and stuff (maybe on the way to Macy's?) ... Rockefeller Center is MUCH better for the observation deck:

1. They give you a reservation time which the ESB does not
2. They are more centrally located so I think you get a better view (and get to see the ESB)
3. Just as historic

My wife loves Macy's and could spend entire days there if our time permitted it. Go check out a museum ... we enjoyed the Met.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Forget the Empire State Building ... go look at it and stuff (maybe on the way to Macy's?) ... Rockefeller Center is MUCH better for the observation deck:

2. They are more centrally located so I think you get a better view (and get to see the ESB)
3. Just as historic

My wife loves Macy's and could spend entire days there if our time permitted it. Go check out a museum ... we enjoyed the Met.
This is really good advice. Going to the ESB is a painful experience, go to the Top of the Rock is hassle free and a much better atmosphere. If you like lines and crowds though go for the ESB.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Hit up Warren 77...Sean Avery's sports bar
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

3. Just as historic

I'll second this.

I went to NYC for just a day this summer (i was in jersey for a wedding) and while the line up at ESB was HUGE we didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes at 30 Rock and the view was amazing.

You get an amazing view of both central park and the ESB. Times Square is awesome. I was only there for a day but it was amazing. I'd love to go back and be able to actually spend more time seeing stuff.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been to NYC 5 times - It's one of the best walking cities on all of the earth, so for the love of god, avoid tourist buses. Such a bad way to see a city like new york (or any city IMO). The subway can take you further distances.

Must Sees/Do's on a short time frame:
  • Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Central Park
  • Wandering around neighbourhoods: West/East Village, Chelsea, Little Italy, Chinatown, SOHO
  • Eating lots of street food
  • Explore architectural landmarks like Chrysler Tower, the UN, Prewar apartments of the upper east/west side, The Guggenheim, the Flatiron building, Rockefeller Center etc (best observation deck).
  • Take a side trip out of Manhattan to Brooklyn (Prospect Park, Park Slope, Williamsburg etc) or Queens (Astoria) to see some more neighbourhoody places
Table 5 probably has some good advice.

Last edited by Bunk; 03-21-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One note about the UN is DON'T go on a weekend. They don't have the flags out front on weekends and don't offer tours on weekends.

I went while in NYC and it sucked ass. I just took a few photos from outside and then we left.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobulous View Post
2. Definitely check out Times Square. I have been to NYC at least 5 times and each time that place amazes me. Just go walk around and I guarantee you will enjoy it.
We're staying right at Times Square, the Westin, I think.

Thanks to all for the advice so far. Some good ideas.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I didn't care for Times Square. It was amazing to see at first. After that it just got annoying. The only thing I can compare it to would be the concourse of the Saddle Dome during intermission. There are so many street vendor food carts on some corners that the fumes will make you gag.

If your in NYC in May hit a baseball game. Both the Yankees and Mets are playing in brand new stadiums. NYC is a baseball town after all.

The thing I enjoyed most about NYC was just walking around and taking everything in. I bought a Lonely Planet guide before I left and it was well worth the money. Maps of all the neighborhoods along with pinpointed points of interest as well as eating establishments.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A nice spot to get a good view of Central Park and the environs is to head up to the 30th floor of the Mandarin Hotel and grab a coffee. The hotel is on the west side of Columbus Circle. Cool place. And you usually spend at least $20 to get a view of New York like that.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're looking for good food options I'd recommend heading over to chowhound and checking out their boards. Be it gourmet cuisine or the best hot dog cart they've usually got it covered. For street cart food (my personal favorite daily lunch choice) in the area around your hotel (and many attractions) check out midtownlunch.com.

And stand to the right on escalators!!! Damn tourists
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #20
mc0709
Draft Pick

Definitly take in a show on Broadway or elsewhere. Also the Madam T...something Wax museum at Times Square was alot of fun, and so was the Toys R' Us. We originally were going to avoid 'ground zero' as we heard it was just construction but we ended up going anyway since we were in walking distance when we visited battery park, - I would recommend going, I am really glad we went.

As for transportation, it's cheapest to buy a weeklong subway pass (a little swipe card) since you will be using it very often to get around. I was also recommended a magazine called "Time Out New York" which you can buy at any of the magazine stands on the street, and it lists all shows, concerts, gallary openings, restuarant openings etc. that are going on that month, it was cheap and worth it.

If you like Natural History, well hit up the Natural History Museum, they have a life sized replica of a blue whale!
mc0709 is offline   Reply With Quote