Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Mac AntiVirus? (I know, I know...)

So, I can't connect to the wireless network at DeVry unless I'm running an antivirus application. They actually have a java app that scans your system for a running antivirus before it grants you access to the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a great Idea... the problem is that I have no freaking clue what to get for a Mac. I did a bit of poking around on the interwebs and found a few suggestions. I don't really want to shell out any bucks for something completely useless to me, though.

(I don't even run antivirus apps on a Windows PC... is not that difficult to avoid viruses... It's even more ridiculous trying to get my head around using one on a Mac.)

Anyway, so far I'm trying out ClamXav. It seems ok.

To be honest, all I really care about is something that will be detected by this java app's scan and otherwise won't get in my way or slow me down with pointless background scans for something that's never going to be there.

Also, the ability to kill it completely when I'm at home would be nice. So not something that will force me to have it running 100% of the time... *cough* McAfee *cough*...

Any ideas?

- Free (open source free, not "OMG CLICK HERE!!" free)
- Minimal resource drain while it's running (I honestly don't even care if it's doing anything, it just has to be visible to the java app so I can get on the net)
- Able to completely kill it when I need to

So far, I've able to get around this by firing up a winxp virtual machine with mcafee running in it which lets me run the java app from windows and gain access. Then I just close the vm, and go about my business in osx. I don't want to get in to any trouble doing that though. I doubt I would, but whatever. It's not like I need to be a rebel anymore.

Last edited by FanIn80; 09-15-2009 at 06:45 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
So, I can't connect to the wireless network at DeVry unless I'm running an antivirus application. They actually have a java app that scans your system for a running antivirus before it grants you access to the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a great Idea... the problem is that I have no freaking clue what to get for a Mac. I did a bit of poking around on the interwebs and found a few suggestions. I don't really want to shell out any bucks for something completely useless to me.

(I don't even run antivirus apps on a Windows PC... is not that difficult to avoid viruses... It's even more ridiculous trying to get my head around using one on a Mac.)

Anyway, so far I'm trying out ClamXav. It seems ok.

To be honest, all I really care about is something that will be detected by this java app's scan and otherwise won't get in my way or slow me down with pointless background scans for something that's never going to be there.

Also, the ability to kill it completely when I'm at home would be nice. So not something that will force me to have it running 100% of the time... *cough* McAfee *cough*...

Any ideas?
Clam is fine - if you get any flack about it, you can point out that it is the defacto antivirus solution provided by Apple, on Mac OS X Server. So if its good enough for Apple, its good enough for DeVry.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Well that was quick. Damn, I spent so much time typing all that out too...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
DOK
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hmmmm, interesting. My PC friends look at me in total shock and horror when I tell them I run my Mac with no antivirus at all.
DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't either.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't either. I've always wondered if I should though.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never used to need Anti Virus until my wife started using the computer. =\
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been wondering about this myself. I made the switch a few months ago and never did a damn thing for virus protection (who says advertising doesn't work?).

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...barrierx5.html

Is there much of a point in installing that?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I've been wondering about this myself. I made the switch a few months ago and never did a damn thing for virus protection (who says advertising doesn't work?).

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...barrierx5.html

Is there much of a point in installing that?

You should be fine without antivirus on OSX. Most sites that attempt to download virus'd exe's wont harm your computer - at all. When there is a security breach in OS X , you'll find out about it, fast, and generally updates come out. Its obvious what isn't safe.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, just to be clear... I'm only looking for something that will be detected by this security app that policies internet access at DeVry. I'm not actually trying to prevent any virus attacks.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, just to be clear... I'm only looking for something that will be detected by this security app that policies internet access at DeVry. I'm not actually trying to prevent any virus attacks.
Does it just scan your running processes for known antivirus packages or does it do something more sophisticated? If its the former then just open up a terminal, create a new file called avg (or whatever name avg runs its scanner as) and put

#! /bin/sh
sleep 100

then save it, run it and connect.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Does it just scan your running processes for known antivirus packages or does it do something more sophisticated? If its the former then just open up a terminal, create a new file called avg (or whatever name avg runs its scanner as) and put

#! /bin/sh
sleep 100

then save it, run it and connect.
Oh cool, even better. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Oh cool, even better. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
Just stick with Clam. Configure it to only demand-scan your downloads folder, and there will be no overhead from the resident engine trying to scan the rest of the system files as they are accessed on the disk. This gives you a little bit of security, and also keeps you compliant with their IT policy.

I'd go so far as to say, if you are working on documents collaboratively in your program (eg. project work) you have a bit of an obligation to your team to have antivirus - you want to break the chain of people passing around infected documents/pdfs, etc, even if they don't affect you. You also want to be able to share any content you find on the net safely, even if its not going to affect you either.

If you can get used to integrating a Mac into other organization's IT policy and frameworks, it will go a long way to your post-school employer letting you continue to use a Mac. Sticking out like a sore thumb with not antivirus, no password protected logins, etc, just pisses everyone off, and eventually you won't be allowed to use it.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try the Mac version of this - if possible.

We have a similar thing at the company I work for, since I dont like MS Forefront I changed some registry key and added some ghost folders so it looked like I have it.

I prefer my freeware AV software.

For you the easiest might be ask Devry what software they are looking for on a MacOS and install that.

never mind, it seems that a Mac Hack was already suggested by Black11

#! /bin/sh
sleep 100
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Try the Mac version of this - if possible.

We have a similar thing at the company I work for, since I dont like MS Forefront I changed some registry key and added some ghost folders so it looked like I have it.

I prefer my freeware AV software.
If you pulled that stunt on a machine I manage, you'd find yourself without TCP/IP connectivity at the router...
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Just stick with Clam. Configure it to only demand-scan your downloads folder, and there will be no overhead from the resident engine trying to scan the rest of the system files as they are accessed on the disk. This gives you a little bit of security, and also keeps you compliant with their IT policy.

I'd go so far as to say, if you are working on documents collaboratively in your program (eg. project work) you have a bit of an obligation to your team to have antivirus - you want to break the chain of people passing around infected documents/pdfs, etc, even if they don't affect you. You also want to be able to share any content you find on the net safely, even if its not going to affect you either.

If you can get used to integrating a Mac into other organization's IT policy and frameworks, it will go a long way to your post-school employer letting you continue to use a Mac. Sticking out like a sore thumb with not antivirus, no password protected logins, etc, just pisses everyone off, and eventually you won't be allowed to use it.
Yeah I was thinking about this today. I didn't have any problems running Clam today. It passed the security check and I didn't even notice it was running.

I'll just stick with that. All the other points you just mentioned make a lot of sense, too. Thanks!