Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Did Telus buy Bell sat?

Sorry if this is fata, I did a search and a million threads came up with Bell Expressview and Telus.

A Shaw employee just told me Bell has been bought out by Telus...true?
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe, all I've read is that Telus will start selling Bell TV satellite systems in BC and AB.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, from what I've heard from an insider they are going to piggyback onto Bell's sats to provide Telus TV.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a link

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3693/279/

My guess is that the story has grown as it's passed along.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now you'll get the same terrible service for your landline, inferior internet, and someone else's sat TV and only one bill!
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Nope, from what I've heard from an insider they are going to piggyback onto Bell's sats to provide Telus TV.
that's what they've been doing from the start. the signal that they get for their internet based TV comes from an array of Bell dishes, so basically you're getting the exact same service as Bell offers only in a much lower quality signal with inferior equipment

Telus is doing everything it can to try and stem the bleeding that resulted after Shaw introduced home phone, this new deal with Bell seems to be a way to counter Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice). i don't think they're gonna be too happy when Shaw starts up their own wireless network in the next couple of years
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Looking at what Telus is currently doing for TV pricing, they are practically giving it away. Last time I had a Telus rep call me he offerred $20/month for what would be all of Shaw's channels 2-50, plus HD, plus an HD-PVR. I told him I'd stick with Bell.

They are likely better off re-branding somebody else's service and making $20 doing that as opposed to keeping on trying to increase the network.

Plus, if they move Telus TV to satellite, maybe they can increase internet speeds and be back in competition with Shaw on that.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, their problem is bandwidth right now - they just can't push enough to each house.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Yeah, their problem is bandwidth right now - they just can't push enough to each house.
I have not personally researched it, but I heard from a guy who worked for them that they are in the process of running fiber optic to every house in most areas to attempt to compete.

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I have not personally researched it, but I heard from a guy who worked for them that they are in the process of running fiber optic to every house in most areas to attempt to compete.

Anyone know anything about this?
All new houses have fiber to the house, but I don't know if they are actively re-running lines to existing houses. (I can find out)

From my understanding, (limited at best), from a good friend who works in the field at Telus is the bigger problem is the big green boxes that push the signal to the houses. I remember him mentioning something about ADSL2 and it being able to push a lot more bandwidth down the line.

I wish I completely understood all the technical talk, hopefully someone in this thread can understand my peon interpretation and expand on it.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
TheU
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TELUS has an agreement with bell satellite, they use bell hardware/signal/ everything with a telus logo, and share their profits. the move was done to stop people from canceling everything because they dont yet have IP tv in their area and want to bundle. this is called "owning the home" so to speak. its great for ppl who want more options, you get TELUS customer service + bell quality HD (which is the best tv in the business for canadians)
TheU is offline   Reply With Quote