Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Calgary Vipers = Joke

So I am a big Vipers fan (and have been since their first game) and I go to my first game tonight fully intending to buy atleast a couple of flex passes (also contemplating buying some season tickets).

I arrive at the ballpark, and to my disgust, every food/canteen item has increased by about 50% from the previous year.

Are these guys serious? The absolute bottom of the barrel sports team in Calgary now charges Flames equivalent for concessions ( 3/44 dollars per bottle of water/pop, 10 bucks for a fry/burger, 4 bucks for a popcorn, etc.) and has the audacity to call themselves a family environment.

I hope the Vipers are happy. I was going to buy some tickets for me personally and some for my business, but there's no chance in hell now. What type of rookie moron have they hired to head up marketing that thinks they can get away with with increasing all concessions in the park by 50% when 99.9% percent of the city could careless if they existed or not.

The Vipers now have one laess person willling to go to their games on a regular basis, which is bigger deal than most think when they average like 500 people a game.

Last edited by MJM; 05-23-2009 at 05:25 AM.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

10 bucks for burgers and fries? That's insane.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
10 bucks for burgers and fries? That's insane.
I beleieve it was 8 something.

They used to have a Spoulombo and beer combo last year for 7 bucks. Same thing this year is close to $10. Cheeseburger was $5.25 by itself. Absolutely ridicullous.

I can see them raising their prices a bit, but by 30 to 50% for most items is ludicrous.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How else are they going to afford Manny?

Vipers games are fun and I'll continue to go.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

If you want to enjoy a nice night at the ballpark - take the drive out to Okotoks and watch the Dawgs. Nice new ballpark that blows foothills out of the water and affordable prices. And the brand of ball is better too - college prospects instead of washed up never has beens.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do they still have toonie admission nights this year?
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, we went, and the prices were shocking. can't complain though, the tickets were free.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
If you want to enjoy a nice night at the ballpark - take the drive out to Okotoks and watch the Dawgs. Nice new ballpark that blows foothills out of the water and affordable prices. And the brand of ball is better too - college prospects instead of washed up never has beens.
45 minutes is a bit much of a drive to watch the Dawgs. The affordable prices get nullified by the gas money to drive out there.

I wouldn't say the quality of play is any better. The Dawgs players may technically be college prospects, they're easily the bottom of the barrel and don't have much hope of an MLB future. Last year only 3 WMBL players were even selected in all 50 rounds of the MLB draft.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to opening night on Thursday. I was looking forward to my spulumbo and big rock, and now their just some generic sausage and no more big rock and they jacked the price. I wasn't happy with that.

I'm thinking of going to check out the Dawgs now. I haven't been to one of their games. All I want is a decent team with good ownership who doesn't try to gouge fans.

They announced 1,100 fans on Thursday. That's nothing to get excited about. I find it hard to believe there aren't 6,000 baseball fans in Calgary who are willing to come out to pack the stadium. I suppose this team has turned them all away? I was a little too young in the Cannons days. I went to games, but I went with my father or grandfather. I don't really remember the attendance back then. But man, what I wouldn't do for some AAA ball in this city.

It really is a sad state of affairs. How fun would it be to watch a team on a sunny afternoon in a full and enthusastic stadium?
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, that is insane. I loved going the last couple of years just because everything was so cheap.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Okotoks Dawgs FTW!

Great ballpark and great baseball.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is the Okotoks team name spelled like that? It's like a bunch of homeboys named the team. "Yo dawg, wussup!!!????"
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
Why is the Okotoks team name spelled like that? It's like a bunch of homeboys named the team. "Yo dawg, wussup!!!????"
More like a bunch of teenagers in the late 90s.
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Silly name aside, the Dawgs are really good entertainment for the money. Admittedly I only went to one of their games last year (the championship winning game), but paid only 8 bucks to sit along the first base line 8 rows up or so. Lots of free parking and food and beer prices are reasonable.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just eat before the game...
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Just eat before the game...

That may be a solution for the odd fan here and there, but the fact is, the Vipers have shot themselves in the foot by increasing the prices this much, when they're already having trouble attracting fans.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
That may be a solution for the odd fan here and there, but the fact is, the Vipers have shot themselves in the foot by increasing the prices this much, when they're already having trouble attracting fans.
Oh I agree, but you are there for baseball not dinner, besides that stuff aint good for ya.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #18
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I agree, but you are there for baseball not dinner, besides that stuff aint good for ya.
I disagree - going to a ball game is just as much about the beer and hotdog as the game itself. It's the entire experience - because really who gives a rat's rear end about anything that happens in the "Golden League".

The Vipers should be selling the experience.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #19
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I disagree - going to a ball game is just as much about the beer and hotdog as the game itself. It's the entire experience - because really who gives a rat's rear end about anything that happens in the "Golden League".

The Vipers should be selling the experience.
Fair enough, i guess a game at the dome wouldnt be the same without those nachos..
either way if no one pays for the food, they will have to lower prices
Old 05-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, i guess a game at the dome wouldnt be the same without those nachos..
either way if no one pays for the food, they will have to lower prices

Yeah but like Jiri said, people go there for an afternoon or evening of drinking a few pops and eating a hot dog or natchos. The theory of "no one pay for food, and they'll have to reduce prices" won't work there.

If the Flames had ridiculous prices, like say $15 for a beer, or $20 for natchos, the fans would stop buying them. But the Flames would still have a sellout every night, then they would readjust their food and beverage prices and they'd be good to go.

The Vipers on the other hand, have a small fan base, and the ones that do go just want to casually watch a ball game with some beer and hot dogs. You piss them off by overpricing the items that are half the reason fans are there in the first place, and most of those fans aren't going to say "oh well, I'll keep going to games, but I won't buy food and drinks until they bring prices down". They're going to say "bah, let's not go to the Vipers game, it's nice out and I want to drink, and their beer prices are ridiculous for minor league ball, let's just go to the pub instead".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote