Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default City tax hikes -- kiss goodbye to your fancy ped bridges

So, City taxes and fees will increase by at least $300 per homeowner next year, and this is before the impact of a slowing economy on city revenues. I can't really see City Council going ahead with $50mil in pedestrian bridges in this environment.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...1-46921bc4433b
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Stupid move by the city, especially in light of the recent reports that there's next to no accountibilty on spending.

Bronco has to go, he has no concept of actual budgeting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who voted for Bronco or didnt vote know the way he operates.

The only people with any right to complain are those who voted against Bronco.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is one thing to attempt to catch up on capital projects that were required but neglected by previous mayors. But this far into multiple terms he apparently doesn't know how to stop.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

With these proposed tax increases, even I agree that the pedestrian bridges should be put on the backburner until our city's finances become a little bit better managed. We're already being taxed to crap, and this just adds more to that crap pile.

Of course, I could go into who should REALLY be funding alot of these infrastructure costs that's becoming a thorn in the city's side, but we've been down this route before in this forum many times already.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't really see City Council going ahead with $50mil in pedestrian bridges in this environment
It's hard to fathom the rationale behind council's opposition to zero-based budgeting a few months ago. Maybe secretly they wanted this to happen so they they could have the numbers to back up why they "need" to jack up taxes by so much so that the end result is them getting their hands on more money to enact their policies of lunacy down the road.

If an economic downturn derails many propositions supported by the Brian Pincotts and Druh Farrells of city council then maybe there's a silver lining to it.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
If an economic downturn derails many propositions supported by the Brian Pincotts and Druh Farrells of city council then maybe there's a silver lining to it.
You mean, derailing people that have a vision for the city that transcend asphalt roads and pipelines? Yeah, poo on them and their ideas.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You mean, derailing people that have a vision for the city that transcend asphalt roads and pipelines? Yeah, poo on them and their ideas.
A couple of ped bridges isn't going to make a difference until they rezone all of the communities on the other side of the river for multifamily development. Then, the ped bridges will mean something.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

You meant that to be in green text... right?

Brian Pincott is a foul word in our household .....

read more: http://www.corymorgan.com/?p=64 for a collection of his idiotic ideas....

And we don't even live in his ward ! !
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Where do people continue to get the $50M number for the two pedestrian bridges? The number is $25M for the Design of two, and the construction of one. The second bridge is not being paid for by city taxpayers. It is getting paid for by CMLC - part of the east village project, which is financed by the future property taxes of whoever builds in the East village. And thanks to the boundries of the TIF that include Encana's new tower, they probobly already have all the money they need to build the second bridge.

Plus, a basic bridge probobly costs 10 - 15 Million, so the extra cost isn't nearly as much as some would have you believe.

The tax increases suck, but everyone please stop using false numbers to support your view on the bridges.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
A couple of ped bridges isn't going to make a difference until they rezone all of the communities on the other side of the river for multifamily development. Then, the ped bridges will mean something.
Well, it's a little bit more than just pedestrian bridges, but you're of your opinion, and I'm of mine.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the BRIDGES!!! Oh the humanity!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
You meant that to be in green text... right?

Brian Pincott is a foul word in our household .....

read more: http://www.corymorgan.com/?p=64 for a collection of his idiotic ideas....

And we don't even live in his ward ! !
Aren't you a politician yourself? Or course you're going to have a biased opinion of another polictican that doesn't agree completely with what you believe in.

Also, linking to a personal blog isn't really credible. It's just some right-wing conservative spewing off their own opinions (like millions of other blogs around the world), and they happen to not like Pincott. You happen to agree with this. But not everybody does. Perhaps a more established link of some sort that provides accurate performance review of Mr. Pincott would be better suited.

Here's a better link as to what Pincott believes, straight from his mouth:

http://www.bettercalgary.ca/assets/surveys/Pincott.pdf

Brian Pincott is far from perfect; just like everybody other politician. But atleast the link above outlines his priorities, some of which make alot of sense given today's issues. I'm not a Pincott advocate, but I don't think some of the man's ideas are silly either.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Aren't you a politician yourself? Or course you're going to have a biased opinion of another polictican that doesn't agree completely with what you believe in.
As much as I agree with your assesment of of First Lady, everyones opinion on this board is biased.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also, linking to a personal blog isn't really credible. It's just some right-wing conservative spewing off their own opinions (like millions of other blogs around the world), and they happen to not like Pincott. You happen to agree with this. But not everybody does. Perhaps a more established link of some sort that provides accurate performance review of Mr. Pincott would be better suited.

Here's a better link as to what Pincott believes, straight from his mouth:

http://www.bettercalgary.ca/assets/surveys/Pincott.pdf

Brian Pincott is far from perfect; just like everybody other politician. But atleast the link above outlines his priorities, some of which make alot of sense given today's issues. I'm not a Pincott advocate, but I don't think some of the man's ideas are silly either.
Brian Pincott in his own election materials from last year(I can't link it because his website is down now due to a "Tecnical OR Billing Problem": http://www.brianpincott.ca), trumpeted that he had business/economic credentials based soley upon his "sucessful completion of an MBA level accounting course."

One completed accounting course does not equate economically literate. The guy ran federally for the NDP. Speaks volumes about his economic sense and his viability for long-term representation for even Blue Liberals who most likely reside left of centre of his own ward's population.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question about this lowest property taxes comment. What is the average single family home taxes compared to other cities.

I am thinking they are using the funny numbers to compare a 500k home in Calgary to say like Winnipeg where the house in Winnipeg would likely be twice as nice but the price is the same.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Well, to give you a real world example, my parents own a ~$220K house in Winnipeg that would be comperable to a house in Acadia that would go for $400K. 2 years ago they paid $3500 per year.

My house was valued at the last assesment of $370K, and I pay about $1700 per year. Assuming that house in Acadia was assesed at $500K last year, that still puts my parents as paying about 80% more in Winnipeg.

However their small street gets the snow plowed a few times in the winter.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Well, to give you a real world example, my parents own a ~$220K house in Winnipeg that would be comperable to a house in Acadia that would go for $400K. 2 years ago they paid $3500 per year.

My house was valued at the last assesment of $370K, and I pay about $1700 per year. Assuming that house in Acadia was assesed at $500K last year, that still puts my parents as paying about 80% more in Winnipeg.

However their small street gets the snow plowed a few times in the winter.
Right but if you compare the two homes, yours and your parents which is nicer? I know that a 500K house in Calgary is nice but not upper middle class nice, simply middle class nice where as I am thinking a 500K home in Winnipeg would be upper middle class nice. I am thinking that in Winnipeg or Acadia that is considered an upper level home where in Calgary that is a starter brick/morter home or middle class home.

To me, just because Calgary has an arbitrarily high cost of living, are they using that to compare other cities property taxes. Does anyone have numbers as the the city tax revenue amount Calgary brings in compared to other cities. I am thinking its relativelty the same per citizen which is what should matter.

I dont think its a fair comparison just to compare property tax vis a vi home value to other cities, I think you should compare the average single family home tax compared to other cities regardless of home price. Meaning I have a 1000 sq foot condo, am I more or less likely to pay more or less property tax for the same type of condo in Winnipeg. I would think the guy in Winnipeg pays the roughly same tax, but doesnt have the inflated price and didnt have to pay the inflated price either.

Last edited by mykalberta; 10-30-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Question about this lowest property taxes comment. What is the average single family home taxes compared to other cities.

I am thinking they are using the funny numbers to compare a 500k home in Calgary to say like Winnipeg where the house in Winnipeg would likely be twice as nice but the price is the same.
We may have among the lowest residential property tax bills, but residential property taxes alone aren't a good comparison because every city structures fees differently. In CGY for example we charge a property tax and a seperate business tax which is pretty rare. Its good optics for homeowners though.

There's a basket of things usually provided by the city that we sit middle of the roadish on. We're probably going to be bottom of the barrel-ish after this year.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The second bridge is not being paid for by city taxpayers. It is getting paid for by CMLC - part of the east village project, which is financed by the future property taxes of whoever builds in the East village.
Kinda splitting hairs, no? Taxpayers are financing the east villiage TIF in hopes it will be paid back by future property taxes.

I can buy a car tomorrow and say it's my future job I hope to get that is going to pay for it, but it's still me making the payments and on the hook for the cost.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote