Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default Playoff Game Takes - Sharks 4 Flames 3

http://www.calgarypuck.com/PO_041708.htm

Good effort ... this one is going 7
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback
 
DMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On Kelowna's Red Mile
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Good effort ... this one is going 7
I hope you are right, but after the last 2 games, I can't see it going past 6. Too much ummph, to get too little result. I dont know how things are going to change between now and Sunday
__________________
I Believe
DMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

I thought this was a game of bounces. The Iginla chance in the first and the Tanguay post changed this game. Sharks finished their 2 on 1's Calgary did not. Both teams brought their A game and San Jose's stars capitilized better than the Flames stars. They also where about 4 seconds from being on a 5-4 PP in the second, man was out of the box, just needed to get him back into the play. An unlucky night for the boys in White.

With secondary scoring, I think the blame lies with Huselius, Conroy, Lombardi, Primeau, Nystrom, Moss and the coaching staff, they need to pull Goddard out of the line-up. He kills any momentum because his lack of speed prevents his line from getting a cycle going.

The Flames should also follow the advice of CBC, pass back to the point and try to get wrist shots through. The Sharks collapse hard and block shots, but when they get through it is usually a good bet Nabokov does not see it, take a little off but make sure it is going to hit the net. The secondary scoring is most likely to come from the point. The forwards need to make that adjustment, the coaches need to help them see it. Would love to see a quick cycle and get the puck to the point. Then you may find your secondary scoring.

Last edited by Flames2007FIRE IT UP; 04-18-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player
 
Jiggy_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007FIRE IT UP View Post
The Flames should also follow the advice of CBC, pass back to the point and try to get wrist shots through. The Sharks collapse hard and block shots, but when they get through it is usually a good bet Nabokov does not see it, take a little off but make sure it is going to hit the net. The secondary scoring is most likely to come from the point. The forwards need to make that adjustment, the coaches need to help them see it.
Totally agree. A pass back to Phaneuf to let him try to get it through is always a great play.
__________________
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player
 
Clever_Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: City by the Bay
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007FIRE IT UP View Post
I thought this was a game of bounces. The Iginla chance in the first and the Tanguay post changed this game. Sharks finished their 2 on 1's Calgary did not. Both teams brought their A game and San Jose's stars capitilized better than the Flames stars. They also where about 4 seconds from being on a 5-4 PP in the second, man was out of the box, just needed to get him back into the play. An unlucky night for the boys in White.

With secondary scoring, I think the blame lies with Huselius, Conroy, Lombardi, Primeau, Nystrom, Moss and the coaching staff, they need to pull Goddard out of the line-up. He kills any momentum because his lack of speed prevents his line from getting a cycle going.

The Flames should also follow the advice of CBC, pass back to the point and try to get wrist shots through. The Sharks collapse hard and block shots, but when they get through it is usually a good bet Nabokov does not see it, take a little off but make sure it is going to hit the net. The secondary scoring is most likely to come from the point. The forwards need to make that adjustment, the coaches need to help them see it.
Weird... I've seen this exact same post elsewhere...

Again, CBC said that when the Flames were down 4-1. The Sharks collapsed the net when they were protecting a lead (like many teams). This isnt applicable for the entire game.
__________________


Crosby > Ovechkin. It's just that simple.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
JiriHrdina
NLL Guy
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Such a dramatic range of opinion on Tanguay. Rogers names him the hardest working flame but he's torn apart in the game takes.

I tend to think the truth is in the middle. Wasn't good enough tonight, but wasn't any worse than a handful of players.

Mediocre.
__________________
Who has Calgary's best burger? www.burgerquest.ca.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Such a dramatic range of opinion on Tanguay. Rogers names him the hardest working flame but he's torn apart in the game takes.

I tend to think the truth is in the middle. Wasn't good enough tonight, but wasn't any worse than a handful of players.

Mediocre.
I have come to realize Tanguay is a quiet star. He can look like he did nothing and than you see he had 3 assists in a game. He was good tonight, not great, probably the story of his career.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player
 
Jiggy_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Such a dramatic range of opinion on Tanguay. Rogers names him the hardest working flame but he's torn apart in the game takes.

I tend to think the truth is in the middle. Wasn't good enough tonight, but wasn't any worse than a handful of players.

Mediocre.
I didn't listen to the fan...quite surprised to hear that. Jesus, hardest working Flame?

What game did Rogers watch? I thought Tanguay was an offense killer tonight. His pass on the Langkow goal was beautiful, but I thought he was a complete detriment the rest of the game before that.
__________________

Last edited by Jiggy_12; 04-18-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Again, CBC said that when the Flames were down 4-1. The Sharks collapsed the net when they were protecting a lead (like many teams). This isnt applicable for the entire game.
I disagree, they collapse to the net almost all game. They block a ton of shots b/c they are around the net. The points are definately available. Shots blocked tonight by SJ 14, game 4 - 16, game 3 - 11, game 2 - 14, game 1 - 9.

Last edited by Flames2007FIRE IT UP; 04-18-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
JiriHrdina
NLL Guy
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I didn't listen to the fan...quite surprised to hear that. Jesus, hardest working Flame?

What game did Rogers watch? I thought Tanguay was an offense killer tonight. His pass on the Langkow goal was beautiful, but I thought he was a complete detriment the rest of the game before that.
Yeah I was a little surprised to hear that was the selection too. I probably would've given it to Eriksson for stepping in playing relatively solid.
__________________
Who has Calgary's best burger? www.burgerquest.ca.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: do not want
Exp:
Default

Hardest working Flame was unquestionably Jarome Iginla.

How this is even up for debate is just plain weird.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger
 
EN FUEGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Hardest working Flame was unquestionably Jarome Iginla.

How this is even up for debate is just plain weird.
I agree, but Tanguay was really going after loose pucks, and giving an extra effort I haven't seen much from him lately. I thought he had a great game. The Sharks were hitting on all cylinders tonight......Juice, Tanguay, and Lombo will be all over the scoresheet in game 6. Iggy and Nolan will take over in the final showdown.
__________________

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
JiriHrdina
NLL Guy
 
JiriHrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

^Hardest working Flames goes to a player not named a star.
__________________
Who has Calgary's best burger? www.burgerquest.ca.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
FCF
Scoring Winger
 
FCF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

No mention of the officiating Bingo!? I thought it was brutal. Especially the first slashing penalty that would eventually put us two men down. In my opinion you can not make a call like that in the playoffs and maintain the integrity of the game. That isn't even a slashing penalty in IIHF Women's Hockey.

Watch San Jose setting picks on us in our own zone, especially in the first period. It happened at least three times in the first and wasn't called once. Wake up refs!!

Then there was Jarome walking out of the corner with the puck trying to go around Nabokov, hauled down and no call...less than two minutes later it is in our net.

The officiating cost us that game imo. And I don't say that very often
__________________
Goodbye to the judgemental know-nothings on this board. And best wishes to the rest.

Last edited by FCF; 04-18-2008 at 10:04 AM.
FCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player
 
CsInMyBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hoping Timmy Thomas and The Hockey Gods stop a soccer team from winning The Stanley Cup.
Exp:
Default

I thought that was Tanguay's best game of these playoffs.

That said, I think he has been absolute crap this entire series.
__________________

"I'm going to leave tonight with my head up, unlike last year. I battled for 60 minutes and kept it under seven goals so an improvement was made."-Uber goalie captain Roberto Luongo 5/11/10
Bingo Bango Brutal.
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF View Post
No mention of the officiating Bingo!? I thought it was brutal. Especially the first slashing penalty that would eventually put us two men down. In my opinion you can not make a call like that in the playoffs and maintain the integrity of the game. That isn't even a slashing penalty in IIHF Women's Hockey.

Watch San Jose setting picks on us in our own zone, especially in the first period. It happened at least three times in the first and wasn't called once. Wake up refs!!

Then there was Jarome walking out of the corner with the puck trying to go around Nabokov, hauled down and no call...less than two minutes later it is in our net.

The officiating cost us that game imo. And I don't say that very often
yeah that Primeau call was weak.

The one that really ticked me off though was Nolan getting hooked and losing the puck while he was about to ice it down two men. Directly resulted in a goal.

And Iginla getting cut down in the third.

Just odd stuff.

I don't think the reffing was the game in this one, but annoying just the same.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger
 
Salt Water Cowboy #10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Iginla getting tripped twice is what bothered me. Then about a minute after each incident the sharks score. 1st when he drove to the net, then again when he was in the sharks end along the side boards. The second one the shark player just swiped his skates out from under him. he played the puck, but come on... not the most consistent reffing I've seen. Oh well, not like complaining is going to change anything.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Such a dramatic range of opinion on Tanguay. Rogers names him the hardest working flame but he's torn apart in the game takes.

I tend to think the truth is in the middle. Wasn't good enough tonight, but wasn't any worse than a handful of players.

Mediocre.
That's the problem. Tanguay is paid too much to be mediocre. He has to be a difference maker.
__________________

I wish the heck I could like fish, I just hate the taste of it . . . I wish I could eat one, they look so good . . .
- Gil Fisher (The Fishin' Musician):
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey
 
Flame4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Can someone explain two blatant blown calls during the game on the flames:
-The non call on Iggy when he was coming out from behind the net and Rivet hauled him down
-The waved off icing whe SJ shot it down the length of the ice with a minute left to go.
A lot of time I'm watching the games I always seem to think that there are a few calls that go the sharks way. I'm not saying the Flames shouldn't be finding ways to win, but the refs don't seem to be making it easier for them that's for darn sure.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger
 
WhiteTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame4Ever View Post
-The waved off icing whe SJ shot it down the length of the ice with a minute left to go.
I was curious about this one myself. Should that not have been icing? I've only been watching hockey regularly for the last two years so sometimes I get these things wrong.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Calgary Flames 2013-14
CP Chat!

CPRadio





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2009