Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
evman150
#1 Goaltender
 
evman150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham, UK
Exp:
Default Redeeming Non Redeemable GIC

Okay, so about 8 months ago I made a bonehead financial decision and sunk a lot of money into a non-redeemable GIC at ScotiaBank. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do, but things went downhill soon after and now I am suddenly scrambling for tuition money.

My question is are non-redeemable GICs ever redeemable? Or a portion of the money? I would only need maybe 1/6th of the original investment back to let me coast for a while and make some money.

What can I do here?

Tuition is due on the 31st, help!
__________________

"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Cowperson
CP Pontiff
 
Cowperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: A pasture out by Millarville
Exp:
Default

I am pm'ing you with the answer.

Cowperson
__________________
Dear Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am. - Anonymous
Cowperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
MoneyGuy
First Line Centre
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Hey, no fair. Please share.

I transfer GICs for clients. My experience is that technically you can't cash in a non-cashable GIC but sometimes a bank can be talked into allowing it, if you whine hard enough. You'd probably have to give up the interest, however.

If Cowperson has anything different, I'd also appreciate knowing. Maybe PM me as well.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
urban1
Scoring Winger
 
urban1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

I dont think there is one "answer".

As MoneyGuy said, a bank may allow it based on the relationship with the client and the specific situation.
urban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Prototype
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: @airjamieson
Exp:
Send a message via MSN to Prototype
Default

Regardless who you talk to, the situation is going to have to get Managerial approval. But as MoneyGuy said, you're probably going to have to forfit the interest. If you're not in a bind for the rest, they may be able to re-invest the rest at the original deposit date. That would make the bank somewhat happier with the situation.
__________________
Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Weynerowski
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Icon20 Help! Cowperson you still here?

Could you please also PM me the answer. I just lost my job, and I study at Concordia. I can't afford to pay my bills without those GICs, and as a chef it's super hard to find work in the winter, even part-time. I just need them to get through the next few months, or I might have to give up my home and sell all my furniture, and go sleep at a YMCA for a couple months... I am really desperate and really need to know what to do at the bank to redeem my Non-Redeemable GICs early...
Weynerowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

PM Sent.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
squiggs96
First Line Centre
 
squiggs96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Section 206
Exp:
Default

Why would the answers need to be PMd? I can't see in this situation something that would be so private that you wouldn't want the rest of CP to know about.

Why would you announce to everyone that you are PMing only one person? If you didn't want the rest of CP to know the answer, why publicly tell people you are doing something privately?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksedin33 View Post
Not at all, as I've said, I would rather start with LA over any of the other WC playoff teams. Bunch of underachievers who look good on paper but don't even deserve to be in the playoffs. If you're going to predict a Canucks loss, at least wait for a team that has a decent shot.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Why would the answers need to be PMd? I can't see in this situation something that would be so private that you wouldn't want the rest of CP to know about.

Why would you announce to everyone that you are PMing only one person? If you didn't want the rest of CP to know the answer, why publicly tell people you are doing something privately?
I don't know, the guy wanted a PM, and I thought that I would offer up some help. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Wormius
#1 Goaltender
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Does redeeming them require some illegal maneuvers? If not, maybe a non-specific answer in this thread would give a person with just a casual interest an answer to the question.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does redeeming them require some illegal maneuvers? If not, maybe a non-specific answer in this thread would give a person with just a casual interest an answer to the question.
No, its just that each bank is going to be somewhat different. From what I've seen you can expect to have a penalty for the early redemption, and then lose the interest. The institution doesn't always cooperative with this either. You're breaking a contract here, so basically you have to negotiate with them to make that happen and its not without its drawbacks. There's no hard and fast rule that I've seen to make this happen though and maybe someone who works on the "other side" can speak to that kind of thing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Yeah WTF lol. Why is the answer to this seemingly simple question shrouded in secrecy?

Edit: Oops, Slava replied while I was typing. Carry on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

LOL, wow apparently a lot of people have non-redeemable GICs and are dying to know how to break them! Who knew that people would be this interested?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
brocoli
Backup Goalie
 
brocoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Windy City
Exp:
Default

As a banker I can tell you that almost all with redeem it if you are persistant enough. As everyone has said we will charge you a fee (for us it can be around $200) and you will get no interest. As long as it is not a regular occurance it is usually not a big deal. Financial hardship does happen and just explain yourself thoroughly. It will have to go through manager approval which should not be an issue as long as you are honest about it and not a PITA.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
LOL, wow apparently a lot of people have non-redeemable GICs and are dying to know how to break them! Who knew that people would be this interested?
lol we only started caring when it became a secret.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
Titan
First Line Centre
 
Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

We want the benefit of your experience and education.

We want it FREE!

AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You will be happier than a squirrel on a date with another, but sexier, squirrel, or a slumming mink with a squirrel fetish.
Titan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
Titan
First Line Centre
 
Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

It was kind of funny but not worth a double post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
You will be happier than a squirrel on a date with another, but sexier, squirrel, or a slumming mink with a squirrel fetish.
Titan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #18
Barbecue
Scoring Winger
 
Barbecue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

here's the non PM, open answers because im sure the Financial advisors out there will tell you to retain them so they'd retain their margins and talk you into getting a loan/dipping into line of credit instead

yes, you can redeem them and likely you will lose the interest you would've earned from that GIC. It's as simple as walking into a bank and having the Branch Manager override it. You shouldnt have to live in a cardboard box just to so you can keep earning that 2% - 3% GIC interest per year

is it in an RRSP? no problem, claim its "financial hardship". They dont need proof of it. But it would affect you with your taxes as it's considered income.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
squiggs96
First Line Centre
 
squiggs96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Section 206
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
LOL, wow apparently a lot of people have non-redeemable GICs and are dying to know how to break them! Who knew that people would be this interested?
You're right. Why have a discussion board to discuss things, when we can all send each other PMs. The board should be only used to post that you've sent a PM. I just found it weird that there was a general question asked, and only one person could see the response.

Like most topics on this site, wouldn't it be best to post the reply for all to see? It's not like he's asking for your phone number or address.

For the record, I don't have any GICs, but I like reading.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksedin33 View Post
Not at all, as I've said, I would rather start with LA over any of the other WC playoff teams. Bunch of underachievers who look good on paper but don't even deserve to be in the playoffs. If you're going to predict a Canucks loss, at least wait for a team that has a decent shot.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Slava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
here's the non PM, open answers because im sure the Financial advisors out there will tell you to retain them so they'd retain their margins and talk you into getting a loan/dipping into line of credit instead

yes, you can redeem them and likely you will lose the interest you would've earned from that GIC. It's as simple as walking into a bank and having the Branch Manager override it. You shouldnt have to live in a cardboard box just to so you can keep earning that 2% - 3% GIC interest per year

is it in an RRSP? no problem, claim its "financial hardship". They dont need proof of it. But it would affect you with your taxes as it's considered income.
I really don't get you and your bent against financial advisors. Frankly, I tell my clients to take money out and even (gasp) to retire at times. Does that decrease the amount of money they have with me? Of course it does...but its the right thing to do and in the best interest of the client. In all honesty this whole idea that you're running of "advisors won't tell you" is just plain ridiculous and offensive.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Calgary Flames
2014-15
CP Chat!

CPRadio

2014-15 Regular Season:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2009