Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default RBK X-Pulse 6.0 Goalie Pads

Hey,

Any you goalies out there had any experience with these pads? I know they're not top tier, but I'm not looking for that. Would like to know what you guys know or think about them. Looks like I could have a good deal from both Inline Warehouse and Goalie Monkey

Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Check em out down at the goalie shop.
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, they want $100 for shipping. I'd rather spend that on getting them right away, or fixing my helmet. I think price checking here in town is in order too. I'm borrowing a pair of pads from another goalie, and they're the RBK 5 series.. so I'm assuming they can't be that much different. I guess I should have checked that first.. lol

Last edited by Jayems; 10-16-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry, don't have any knowledge on these specific pads, but they would look alot better in RED!

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Jayems looking for goalie pads = good for my hockey team.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

From what I understand they are more like the CCM Vector 6 pads than the 5Ks. Pretty much identical to the CCMs, with a few mods. I remember hearing a lot of vectors breaking down in the leg channel, as they used a cheap nylon, similar to the xpulse. The xpulse is an 11inch pad vs the 12inch for vectors. Also, probably not the best pad if you have a narrow butterfly, though I am sure you could work with it. A pretty stiff pad as well(even with the break in the roll), so good for butterfly.

You can probably check out any of the Sport Swaps, Goalie Shop or Adrenaline Source on Macleod and try them on. However, do some price shopping for sure. Goalie gear in Calgary is essentially a rip off, unless buying from Sport Chek, as its a national chain. Goalie shop, Professional Skate, Tuxedo, BP, they all charge alot more than anywhere in North America.

I would never buy goalie gear in Alberta(Calgary or Edm), way overpriced here. Try them on at one of the shops here and then order from Dukes, Maier Hockey or Goalie Crease in Toronto, Cyclone in Vancouver, even with shipping, you will still save money.

I have a pair of barely used 5ks for sale (34+1) that would sell for cheap if your interested. Used maybe 10 times(shinny), pads are in great shape as I am not a full time goalie, since I play out a majority of the time.

Last edited by soulchoice; 10-17-2007 at 05:49 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I am 5'11 what size of pads would I need?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably a 34+1
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, calling around town, most places are $100-$250 over the internet price. I'll probably just go over and try them on, tell them I can get it for much cheaper online (I found a place that I can get a whole combo for $520 inc. shipping) and see if they'll discount it.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
If I am 5'11 what size of pads would I need?
Depends on your atk. Measure your ankle to knee ratio, distance between your ankle and midpoint of your knee. Once you get that, you can determine appropriate pad length. You just want to make sure you knee fits into the knee cradle properly.

Keep in mind, for example if one was wearing a 34+1 RBK, he would probably need a 35+1 in a Vaughn Velocity, so it depends on the pad.

Last edited by soulchoice; 10-17-2007 at 05:53 PM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Check em out down at the goalie shop.
Yeah if you wanna buy em at the most expensive price you can I also suggest you head on down there.

I'm a former goalie and I loved lookin around that place, but holy Christ is it expensive in there!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah if you wanna buy em at the most expensive price you can I also suggest you head on down there.

I'm a former goalie and I loved lookin around that place, but holy Christ is it expensive in there!
Yep. went there today. They quoted me $819 for the pads, glove and blocker and that INCLUDES the 10% drop in price.

I went to sport check, they were $150 cheaper right away, and I told the guy if he drops it 15% more, he'll have a sale right then and there. He left, came back in 2 seconds and said "sure, why not."

I got it all for just over $600. So while that may be a little more than the price online, at least I don't have to deal with customs, shipping and waiting for 2 weeks.