Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Graf Skates vs. Other Brands?

I know, not another skate thread. But I seek advice from those that have used Graf skates. Is it worth buying a lower end Graf skate vs. a higher end model of another company like CCM/Bauer/Easton/Mission etc.? Lower end Graf's will set you back about what the high end version's of these others go for. Graf claims to be the best, but is their a noticeable difference?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
I know, not another skate thread. But I seek advice from those that have used Graf skates. Is it worth buying a lower end Graf skate vs. a higher end model of another company like CCM/Bauer/Easton/Mission etc.? Lower end Graf's will set you back about what the high end version's of these others go for. Graf claims to be the best, but is their a noticeable difference?
For any Graf skate lower than the 600 series you are probably better off buying another brand of skate that fits your foot type when it comes to bang for your buck.

The 300 and 500 series Graf skates are somewhat overpriced for the skate you get.

The 600 series are not currently being produced but the 700 and G series of skates are comparable to other top brands, IMHO.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure that you notice how much slant your Graf / Bauer / CCM / etc skates have.

I've recently bought a pair of Nike Bauer Supreme One90s ($800!!!) and found that I was sitting back on my heels a lot more than on the Graf 705's I had. I didn't notice it too much until switching back to the Graf... I noticed that I was positioned way further forward onto my toes.

This definitely affects balance on skates... so if you're used to one brand, don't totally discount staying with that same brand.

My thoughts....
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Make sure that you notice how much slant your Graf / Bauer / CCM / etc skates have.

I've recently bought a pair of Nike Bauer Supreme One90s ($800!!!) and found that I was sitting back on my heels a lot more than on the Graf 705's I had. I didn't notice it too much until switching back to the Graf... I noticed that I was positioned way further forward onto my toes.

This definitely affects balance on skates... so if you're used to one brand, don't totally discount staying with that same brand.

My thoughts....
You can get your blades profiled so they have the same pitch as whatever blades you were skating on. It generally costs about 30 bucks or so here in Calgary.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, but that will only help so much when it's the boot that is tilted when compared to the blade.

I've always heard that with CCM's you are furthest back on your heels, with Bauer's somewhat in the middle, and with Graf's you're more on your toes. Don't really know about Mission or RBK or the other skate manufacturers.

I didn't think it was a huge deal until I tried it.. .big difference for sure.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
Go_Flames_3
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was a bauer user my whole life but I wear grafs now and just love them. The fit really well and are super comfortable. Also they are very durable. IU would highly recommend buying grafs
Go_Flames_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was a Graf supporter growing up beffor Junior. Even played my first season of Jr A with the 705 model. Unfortunatly Graf dosnt produce the best skate they ever made anymore ( the 704) Unfortunatly Graf has fallen behind the times. Many Jr A and WHL clubs will NOT let there players use Graf anymore, as they are 2 heavy and water loged being they have so much leather.

THe number one skate on the market by FAR is the Bauer/nike 190
My team just got me a pair and they are by far the best skates ive ever worn. Lightest skates made to date and best fitting.

Bauers vapor XXX is also a good skate and better for a wider foot.
The top CCM skate is the Vector if im not mistaken but i lost all faith in CCM after they switched to the Vector model from the Tacks model, thats when i made the switch to Graf.

It definitly is not worth buying Graf skates, anything under the 7 series is garbage. Thats real hard for me 2 say espeically since i was a huge supporter of Graf. There factory being in CalgarySW dosnt hurt either but if you play at a competive level try the 190s or the vapor XXX, the number one and 2 skates on the market for sure.

any questions i would contact www.pro-skate.com i think they have something like 5 cgy locations now and one in Strathmore. definitly the most knowledgable skate sales ppl in cgy
cgy2london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, thanks alot cgy2london I will try the comparison's you suggest.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Yes, but that will only help so much when it's the boot that is tilted when compared to the blade.
You can always have heel or toe lifts installed, depending on your preference.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
Wow, thanks alot cgy2london I will try the comparison's you suggest.
no problem. Pm me if you have any more questions. i change skates everythree- four months so ive tried lots. remember this though.

Mission=absolute garbage. There made by hippys on a beach in California

Easton- dosnt make skates. they make sticks, and on a good day half decent gloves so stay away from them

anything outside the Bauer CCM and possible Grafs ( the new g9 series, but i still wouldnt reccomend it) are garbage. stick with Bauer and CCM depending on how your foots designed will always be your best choice. if you want someone to really break down exactly what skate works best with your foot for the amount of cash you wanna spend check out pro skate buddy
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy2london View Post
any questions i would contact www.pro-skate.com i think they have something like 5 cgy locations now and one in Strathmore. definitly the most knowledgable skate sales ppl in cgy
Just to let you know, the website you cited is not the Professional Skate Service that exists in Calgary.

The website for the Calgary version of Professional Skate Service is:
http://www.psscalgary.com/
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

oops by bad sorry. oh well yah pro skate in calgary is great anyways they made all my skates when i was growing up in calgary, plus the guys who work there are filled with beauty stories about all the show players they have made skates for.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

anything outside the Bauer CCM and possible Grafs ( the new g9 series, but i still wouldnt reccomend it) are garbage. stick with Bauer and CCM depending on how your foots designed will always be your best choice.
Would you apply this to low-end skates as well? Like 200-300 bucks?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Uh thats a pretty tough question because the fact of the matter is skates in that price range probably wont be that durable let alone comfortable. it all depends on what ur useing them for right? if you want skates for non cometive activities i would definitly suggest the most well priced skate in your price range that fits and feels the best. With that said BAUER and CCM have the best over all skates so i would assume down the line a cheap bauer or ccm is much better fitted and designed than a cheap Easton or Mission. I really cant say though ive only tried the upper level of each brands skate though.

If you wanna spend 200-300 on a skate i would go with what ever fits and feels the best. my guidence says start with Bauer or CCM, but at that price range i really dont know what the diffrence is when comparing them 2 other brands
Old 12-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh thats a pretty tough question because the fact of the matter is skates in that price range probably wont be that durable let alone comfortable. it all depends on what ur useing them for right? if you want skates for non cometive activities i would definitly suggest the most well priced skate in your price range that fits and feels the best. With that said BAUER and CCM have the best over all skates so i would assume down the line a cheap bauer or ccm is much better fitted and designed than a cheap Easton or Mission. I really cant say though ive only tried the upper level of each brands skate though.

If you wanna spend 200-300 on a skate i would go with what ever fits and feels the best. my guidence says start with Bauer or CCM, but at that price range i really dont know what the diffrence is when comparing them 2 other brands
Yeah it's about as non-competitive as you can get -- outdoor shinny and only a few times a year. You've scared me off Mission with that hippy comment and the Easton ones looke a little too space-agey for me so Bauer or CCM it is.

Someone in another thread mentioned second-hand. Anyone ever go that route? It is kind of distasteful, thinking of someone else's dirty dogs in there, but they must go through some sort of restoration/de-stinkifying process. It'd be nice to get high-end skates for cheap. I've got small feet so if some teenager outgrew his size 9s after 2 months, I'd be in great shape.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
Go_Flames_3
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Like i said earlier i use grafs, and really enjoy them, however i dont play jrA or anything, mainly just reffing and rec hockey, the highest levels i ref is MAAA, but i know lots of refs really like the grafs. However i have friends one wearing the bauer XXX and another wearing reebok and they both have nothing but good things to say, but as cgy2london said stay away from easton and mission. But for what your using skates for id take any of the bauer, ccm, graf or reebok.
Go_Flames_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My last two pairs of skates have been Grafs, I think 704s. Both were the best skates I've had. I agree with another post that they are a bit heavy.

I've heard those new pump up ones (can't remember the brand) are great.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I just broke another synergy. I was thinking about buying the new Synergy ST because they are supposed to be stronger. Has anyone tried it? Its about $70 more than the normal Synergy, but I've broken the normal synergy 2 times in the last two months and its getting very expensive. If I buy this one and it breaks it will be the last one for me.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #18
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Yeah it's about as non-competitive as you can get -- outdoor shinny and only a few times a year. You've scared me off Mission with that hippy comment and the Easton ones looke a little too space-agey for me so Bauer or CCM it is.

Someone in another thread mentioned second-hand. Anyone ever go that route? It is kind of distasteful, thinking of someone else's dirty dogs in there, but they must go through some sort of restoration/de-stinkifying process. It'd be nice to get high-end skates for cheap. I've got small feet so if some teenager outgrew his size 9s after 2 months, I'd be in great shape.
yeah for rec hockey, i would definitly suggest second hand. You can get a good pair of second hand skates to fit you properly for a better price. Skates depreciate alot! But if our just using them for rec or shinny hockey someone at TUXEDO SPORTS will be able 2 do a great job finding a skate that fits and feels the best for you and at a much better cost.

As jake was saying abuot Synergys, not worth it pal. trust me ive used them since i was 15 when they first came out and were going for a $350 a peice! If my team didnt supply them for me theres no way i would EVER spend money on them. They are the best sticks on the market when there new, but they simply just dont last long enough. I would suggest a Graphite shaft preferbly the z bubble or Ultra Lite from Easton and a carbon blade, the carbob blades are the next best thing 2 the actual One peice blade and they last much longer. Cant go wrong the that set up
Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you have wide feet, Bauer is definately the way to go. I have small but wide (6 E), and Bauer were the only ones that made skates that fit me.

I had Bauer 95's for about 15 years, and a couple of years ago switched to the Vapor 10, and they are the best skates I've ever had.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote