Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Massonite
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Best Place To Stay In Vancouver, Close To Rogers Arena

The wife and I are taking a trip over to Vancouver for the Flames game Jan 10th. What are the best places to stay that are somewhat close to the arena? I've never been there before so I wanna make sure I don't end up in the ghetto lol.

One of my friends recommended Abbotsford and to take the train downtown because downtown Vancouver is too sketchy.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do not listen to your friend. That is completely wrong. You do not want to stay an hour outside of the city.

Pretty much stay in ANY hotel downtown that has good reviews on Trip Advisor. The only area to avoid is East Hastings ... and I don't even think there are any hotels there anyway. At least none that are going to have any presence on a legit booking site.

Vancouver is a fantastic city. The entire downtown core is fine.

Last edited by scotty2hotty; 07-02-2014 at 12:57 PM.
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

you should contact the rosedale on robson

http://www.rosedaleonrobson.com/

i know in the past they've done packages for canucks games. i've gone down a couple times with buddies and for a flat rate (which i don't recall becuz it was a couple years ago) they do a pregame meal with door prizes (the one time i won a weekend at a resort on vancouver island - that was a fun trip!), game ticket and room. i know one of the games i made it to with these packages was linden's final game (when iggy went and got the flames to come out after the game to shake linden's hand)

it's only a few minutes walk to the arena too.

the rooms were nice enough - i didn't really care, i just wanted somewhere clean to lay my head at night

Last edited by bc-chris; 07-02-2014 at 11:04 AM.
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recommending people stay in Abbotsford is like telling someone to stay in Red Deer because they heard Calgary has a few homeless people.

You'd be missing out on fantastic city experience, just because there are a few sketchy blocks in one part of town.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on your budget, what you are looking for in a hotel, walking ambitions, transportation, way of getting there, and nightlife scene, the answers will vary. With a few details I can give you some suggestions. If I was flying in, I'd take the Canada Line downtown or to Yaletown from YVR and get a hotel there. If you are looking for something fancy try Opus, Hotel Van or Loden. If you are looking for a budget there are Sandmans, Super 8s, etc. all around.

Your friend is right though. It's only royalty that rides on the train, so you'd be much safer. Three piece suits are a minimum to get on, and each seat is a king sized bed. Dude, Abbotsford is an hour's drive from Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abbotsford? Your friend's an idiot. Vancouver downtown (outside of East Hastings at night) is completely safe. No more or less dangerous than Calgary downtown.

I always stay at one of the Marriotts or Fairmonts on West Hastings. Close to the Olympic torch and the water. A short walk to the game.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sheraton Wall Centre is where I recommended all my friends stay at when I lived there.

Fantastic hotel in the heart of dt with amazing views
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stay anywhere in downtown Vancouver West of main street.

DO NOT stay in Abbotsford. That would be stupid. Besides, Abbotsford is a hole and is probably more dangerous than most of Vancouver.

As much as we hate on Vancouver on here, the city is awesome. You'll have a blast there.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Fairmont Vancouver is very nice and about a 5 minute cab ride to the arena. Fairmont Pacific Rim is REALLY nice, but crazy expensive.

For something maybe a little less pricey, the Westin Bayshore also is pretty nice. That's a 10 minute cab to Rogers.

I've booked a ton of travel for Manager's and Exec's in that area and all of them have preferred to stay in that hotel strip on Waterfront/Port Road.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Use Hotwire, I am sure you will find something at a great deal. I use it all the time for downtown Van and it has never failed me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massonite View Post
The wife and I are taking a trip over to Vancouver for the Flames game Jan 10th. What are the best places to stay that are somewhat close to the arena? I've never been there before so I wanna make sure I don't end up in the ghetto lol.

One of my friends recommended Abbotsford and to take the train downtown because downtown Vancouver is too sketchy.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lol was your friend being serious? That is horrible advice.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Abbotsford hahah! Downtown Vancouver is probably the safest downtown in Canada (there's a small strip along East Hastings between Cambie and Main that is sketchy and should be avoided). All of the Fairmont's are awesome, the Fairmont Pacific Rim is amazing. If you got lot's of cash to spend try the Shangri-La, otherwise just look up hotels on expedia, you could walk to Roger's arena from almost anywhere downtown (it's very walkable) or a short (2 min) cab ride. Abbotsford.....hahaha....that made my day!
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, the train doesn't even go to Abbotsford. Your friend has to be messing with you.
Stay downtown, it's all very walkable so just depends how nice of a hotel you want.

High end: Fairmont (3 to choose from), Shangri La, 4 Seasons, Westin, Sutton Place, Hyatt, Opus

Better Price: Theres a Sandman right across the street from Rogers Arena.

I would recommend avoiding the options right on Granille St, as that will be busy & loud with parties at night. Anything else should be fine.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but your friend who said to stay in Abbotsford is an idiot, and that's a stupid idea.

Anyways, there's Howard Johnsons etc. a couple blocks away that out of town people stay at for hockey games so you'd meet more Flames fans.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #16
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty much any hotel you stay in downtown will be a couple of blocks, at most, from a skytrain station. The skytrain goes right to the arena.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya much rather stay in downtown Vancouver than Abbotsford ...

Downtown Van is pretty safe - even the rough parts. These things are always overblown

You could also stay in Richmond and take the train, should be cheaper
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Vancouver's downtown is very safe. Even in east Hastings people don't generally get attacked. The bigger issue is property crime. Don't leave anything unattended or leave vehicles with personal items visible in any way. This applies to all of Vancouver.

And yes...stay downtown. Honestly don't even know how'd you get to Abbotsford. The skytrain goes nowhere near there. Looking at an hours drive each way.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific Rim if you can afford it. The Fairmont Waterfront is also really nice and more affordable than the Pacific Rim.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Sinny Darino
Farm Team Player

Exp:

You are a clown Massonite if you took my "Stay in Abbotsford" seriously... LOL... WOW... Gullible...
Sinny Darino is offline   Reply With Quote