Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Stuff to do in Bangkok

So I'm taking a 6 week trip over to SE Asia, traveling with a buddy of mine around Thailand and the neighboring countries. However I'm landing in Bangkok first and will have a couple of days to kill before he flies over. Any recommendations on stuff to do or check out that don't have the words go-go or ladyboy in them? Any good bars to check out to meet other travelers and swap stories? I'll be staying in the Suhkumvit area just off the BTS train line, so anything within walking distance from a station would be ideal
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So I'm taking a 6 week trip over to SE Asia, traveling with a buddy of mine around Thailand and the neighboring countries. However I'm landing in Bangkok first and will have a couple of days to kill before he flies over. Any recommendations on stuff to do or check out that don't have the words go-go or ladyboy in them? Any good bars to check out to meet other travelers and swap stories? I'll be staying in the Suhkumvit area just off the BTS train line, so anything within walking distance from a station would be ideal
Khao San Road. Lots of pubs/restaurants down this street and loads of tourists.

Watts (Temples). There are a lot of these. I like the Golden Mount Temple.

Royal Palace. It's pretty impressive.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

#### a Tranny.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check out Tawandang German Brewery. It has a cheesy review show, but it's pretty much all locals and expats. It's where I start the bulk of my nights in Bangkok when I'm hanging out with my Thai friends.

If you're looking for non-seedy nightclubs after that, hit Route 66. At 32, I'm on the old side to be there, but it's still always a good time.

For food, go to Raan Jay Fai for the best seafood pad kee mao (drunken noodles) in the world and Krua Apsorn for all around amazing Thai food. Just check the protest activity before you go, because they're both near a lot of the black shirt nonsense.

Finally, I know you said no go-go bars an no ladyboys, but you're staying right in the heart of them with Soi Cowboy (the street from The Hangover 2) and Nana Plaza near the Sukhumvit train stops. You really should check out a ladyboy bar just for the experience. The one in the corner on the top floor of Nana seems to be fairly laid back and they put on a little show. I can't recommend any specific go-go bars, but the girls in the Soi Cowboy bars seem to be more cool with guys who are just there for an entertaining place to drink a few beers.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. What other countries are you headed to? Any plans to visit Siem Reap?
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Check out Tawandang German Brewery. It has a cheesy review show, but it's pretty much all locals and expats. It's where I start the bulk of my nights in Bangkok when I'm hanging out with my Thai friends.

If you're looking for non-seedy nightclubs after that, hit Route 66. At 32, I'm on the old side to be there, but it's still always a good time.

For food, go to Raan Jay Fai for the best seafood pad kee mao (drunken noodles) in the world and Krua Apsorn for all around amazing Thai food. Just check the protest activity before you go, because they're both near a lot of the black shirt nonsense.

Finally, I know you said no go-go bars an no ladyboys, but you're staying right in the heart of them with Soi Cowboy (the street from The Hangover 2) and Nana Plaza near the Sukhumvit train stops. You really should check out a ladyboy bar just for the experience. The one in the corner on the top floor of Nana seems to be fairly laid back and they put on a little show. I can't recommend any specific go-go bars, but the girls in the Soi Cowboy bars seem to be more cool with guys who are just there for an entertaining place to drink a few beers.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. What other countries are you headed to? Any plans to visit Siem Reap?
Going to spend the Thai new year in Korat, then head up north to Chang Mai. After that it's kind of up in the air, I wouldn't mind checking out Cambodia but my buddy also has a couple of spots in the Philippines where he has some friends that we want to hit. With how cheap any kind of travel is in that part of the world we're pretty much playing everything by ear
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Going to spend the Thai new year in Korat, then head up north to Chang Mai. After that it's kind of up in the air, I wouldn't mind checking out Cambodia but my buddy also has a couple of spots in the Philippines where he has some friends that we want to hit. With how cheap any kind of travel is in that part of the world we're pretty much playing everything by ear
Sounds like a solid plan (or lack thereof). I'll be relatively near you in Ubon Ratchathani for Songkran, then I'm back to Cambodia. Let me know if you make it this way.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 AM   #9
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confucius say, man who walk through turnstyle backwards going to Bangkok.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One night in Bangkok and the worlds your oyster...
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free

D'oh !!!
Youtube is blocked here at work...

Last edited by Nufy; 04-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try the "Lady boy a go-go". I've heard good things.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you do go to a ping pong show, ask your tuk-tuk/taxi driver for a good place. Go to a place that charges cover. If you go to one of the "free" shows, they will tack on a bunch of mysterious charges to your bill, and try to force you to pay. Most of those places are run by the Thai mafia.

And don't sit in the front row/splash zone. Unless they give you a ping pong paddle.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also now that I am thinking about Bangkok, here are a few more things:

-grand palace (wear modest clothing, shoulders covered, etc)
-MBK, Siam (shopping)
-night markets (patpong, china town, etc)
-muay thai (Lumpinee tues-fri-sat or Rajadamnernn mon-wed-thurs-sun)
-temples (golden buddha, reclining buddha, emerald buddha)
-Jim Thompson house
-Red Cross snake farm (where they make anti-venom)
-Siam Ocean Word aquarium (a bit pricey for Thailand, but a pretty amazing aquarium. In the basement of the mall if you want some higher end shopping at the same time)

Khao San road, and a few neighboring streets have everything a backpacker/western tourist could want. Cheap hostels all the way to decent hotels. Burger King, McDonald's to all types of cuisine. Doctor Fish massages, foot massages, all kinds of bars, pubs, clubs. One street north is a bit more laid back and also has some great places to eat.

If you want a great view of the city and are willing to pay, go to one of the many sky bars. Where you can drink up in the clouds and have a great view of the city.

Do not go into a tailor. Do not take a taxi/tuk tuk that will give you a deal if they take you to a tailor.

Do your research before doing any tiger/elephant trips.

Any more questions, shoot me a PM.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

edit. nothing to add.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Do not go into a tailor. Do not take a taxi/tuk tuk that will give you a deal if they take you to a tailor.
This caught my eye - what's the deal with the tailors?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
This caught my eye - what's the deal with the tailors?
Tailor is the Thai word for Rape-murderer
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, y'know, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_tailor_scam
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The more common "scam" is that a tuk tuk driver will offer you a ridiculously low price to take you on a tour of the city, then he'll stop at a tailor that will give him a kickback. You'll probably get something overpriced and low quality if you give in to the pressure and buy something. There are some very good, cheap tailors in Bangkok that would be worth checking out though, but just do your research in advance and don't take your tuk tuk driver's word for it that his place is the best.

If you do go, I recommend having a shirt made so you can see the quality of their work before you buy a suit (even if you aren't buying a suit, it doesn't hurt to have them thinking they're auditioning for more business while they're making your shirt.)