Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Edler suspended 3 games for hit on Hertl

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Three-game suspension for VAN's Allex Edler.

~

Even as a Flames fan I don't agree with this suspension. Shanahan is clueless. Edler's arm is tucked, he's not aiming high, and Hertl is reaching towards the puck, putting himself in a vulnerable position.

Edler can't possibly change his course at this point without taking himself out of the play (or leaping over the bench). This is not the kind of hit that should be removed from the game.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't agree with it either. I don't think the head was targeted or the Edler was aiming high. It's a fast game and sometimes heads get hit.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha...stupid Canucks taking a run at the kid for supposedly being too flashy or arrogant in his last game. Canucks wrote the book on arrogance.

Screw Edler and every single Canuck player. I don't care if I'm biased or not on this one.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That hits first contact was the head. He is a repeat offender.
He is on the most hated/ over rated team in the league.

Point ______ .
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EYE_Overstand For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

3 games? Shanahan is a joke. If Hertl didn't try and get out of the way, the principle contact would have been the body, not the head.

Is Hertl out with a concussion now?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last part of the video where Shanahan says "he must take a better angle and route toward Hertl", there is a diagram of an arrow point more east-west towards Hertl than Edler came in at. So, according to Shanahan, Edler should have hit the north-south moving Hertl coming from the east... a blindside hit.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, even if i don't agree, this evens out all the penalties the vancouver d should have received over the last year over post whistle jabs, crosschecks and high hits.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looked a lot like the Steve Moore hit that caused the Bertuzzi incident, so if Canuck fans call that hit clean, then the Moore hit was clean.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point

Last edited by squiggs96; 10-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't understand this one at all.

Edit: Actually agree with the suspension the more i watch the video. No need for Edler to take that line to the puck, Hertl barely had possession of the puck, only point of contact was with the head.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
PantherExtreme
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Obviously some of us have a different opinion on what the rules should be, but this is pretty simple guys. The NHL has made hits to the head illegal. Hertl has his head low like a dummy but as shown in Shannys video his head does not change direction significantly and Edler is responsible to take body contact.

Also,the blind side hit terminology is old, get with it. Headshots are what matter.
PantherExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PantherExtreme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the hit and thought it would be reviewed. 3 games is a bit much IMO. One game and/or a fine would have be sufficient. It was similar to the Naslund hit where a player is reaching for the puck and then takes a hit to the head.

The thing I found interesting (watched the canuck feed on CI), is that in the intermission the canuck cronies mentioned that Edler has a reputation to fake playing the puck and then hit the player. I've never noticed it before so now I will keep an eye out for that. I think maybe a rookie like Hertl may not have been up to speed on that.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I might get flamed for this (sorry for the pun), but some of us Flames fans need to push the hatred for the Canucks out of our minds and look at the hit objectively; if this was a Flames player getting suspended for this hit (where there was no penalty on the play and the player appears to not be injured), how would we feel?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I saw the hit and thought it would be reviewed. 3 games is a bit much IMO. One game and/or a fine would have be sufficient. It was similar to the Naslund hit where a player is reaching for the puck and then takes a hit to the head.

The thing I found interesting (watched the canuck feed on CI), is that in the intermission the canuck cronies mentioned that Edler has a reputation to fake playing the puck and then hit the player. I've never noticed it before so now I will keep an eye out for that. I think maybe a rookie like Hertl may not have been up to speed on that.
Then what's to stop players from bending over with their heads out in front of them when handling the puck? Are they now immune from physical contact?

Hertl looks like he's sitting on an invisible chair.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Suspension justified. It if was a Flames player I would agree with the suspension, and hope the loss of the player didn't hurt the team too much.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I might get flamed for this (sorry for the pun), but some of us Flames fans need to push the hatred for the Canucks out of our minds and look at the hit objectively; if this was a Flames player getting suspended for this hit (where there was no penalty on the play and the player appears to not be injured), how would we feel?
Never
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only way consistency is going to be achieved is if hits to the head are suspensions, period. It doesn't matter if it was an accident, if he took the wrong angle, whatever. You hit the head, you get a suspension. Shanahan got this right.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
coaster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherExtreme View Post
Obviously some of us have a different opinion on what the rules should be, but this is pretty simple guys. The NHL has made hits to the head illegal. Hertl has his head low like a dummy but as shown in Shannys video his head does not change direction significantly and Edler is responsible to take body contact.

Also,the blind side hit terminology is old, get with it. Headshots are what matter.
I don't agree with this. Hertl does 3 different things that change his head position. He slows down, he starts to stand up and as seen by the rear video he changes direction towards center ice. All 3 of these change head and body position. So how can a hit that only misses hitting the shoulder by an inch or two not be affected?

I think the make or break as far as the suspension goes was the optics of his lid flying through the air.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I was half way through writing how it should be a suspension no question and decided to re watch the video in slow motion.
My tune has changed.... if you pause play pause play you see Edler takes a straight path to Hurtl without raising elbows or shoulders. It is not a blind side hit as Hertl clearly sees him in advance and wants to tip the puck up and go inside of Edler. With Hertl slowing down and trying to come inside it leads to the head shot.
Sheriff Shanahan gets it wrong....again.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post: