Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Heading Down to the U.S with Cell Phone

Heading down to Seattle Wash. this weekend trying to figure out the cheapest way to have my cell with me and still be able to send text messages. Probably some people that have learned the right way to go about this after coming home to some $$$$$ bills. Let me know what you recommend. Thanks.

Background Info:
Iphone 4s, rogers wireless
XxBIGDOGxX1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best way is to unlock and get a TMobile sim card for unlimited Data/Voice/Text for $2 a day. Just walk into any TMobile and they can set you up.

Might not be economical for a 2 day trip, as it is $50 to unlock from Rogers, and $10 for sim card, plus $10 minimum amount to put on the card.

Really starts to pay off if you make multiple trips, or stay a lot longer though.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Phone rogers and get a US text plan before you go.

I'm with Telus. Usually you can buy a month of International texting for like, $25, and it takes the US text price down to a "mere" $0.20/text. but if you don't get a plan it'll be $1+/text, and it's incoming and outgoing.

I got smoked with a $400+ bill once from being in the States at Christmas without a plan, and I got a million merry christmas and happy new year texts.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are a couple of ongoing threads on the myriad of ways to do this. Family and friends seem pretty happy (read don't complain) about roam mobility.

Here is the link:
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I got hit with a $6500 cell bill last year from roaming. My icloud was downloading Breaking Bad HD to my phone while I was in Denver for a Broncos game. Luckily Rogers has people who now monitor for this kind of thing and they shut my phone off, and reduced the bill to $500. I own an unlocked iphone and have a Tmobile sim, but I figured I wouldn't need it over the 3 days I was there. Lesson learned!!

When you land, you will get a text from Rogers giving you options on data roaming. If I'm in the US for a short period I get one of those (usually the $100 pack for talk, text and data). If I'm there longer I use my tmobile sim to run my phone. I would just get a Rogers roaming service pack, and if you use it up Rogers will send out another text when you get low. Careful on data though, you would be surprised how much web surfing and background apps eat up.

Word to the wise though: Go with Verizon. Tmobile coverage is TERRIBLE in the US.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unlocking and getting a SIM down there is the best bet.

If you don't want to do that call Rogers. They recently revamped their U.S. roaming packages and actually have some decent options now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I second what others have said about the SIM card and have done that in the UK(tesco) and the US(TMobile). SIM cards are free or .99c if you shop around.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't a new sim card mean a new number ?

how would people text you ?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

am i able to shut off my data and "text" to other iphone users via iMessage with wifi connection??
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

In theory- yes iMessage will work over wifi. However on my last trip to the States I found it failed randomly; sending the messages as SMS.

The one thing is Rogers also introduced a plan that is $8 per day and gives you 50MB of data per day. Might be handier than going with another sim card.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

If you don't care about having call minutes, I think Rogers has a $20 add-on which gives you unlimited texts. You can sign in to your rogers account online and check what options are available to you, or give them a call.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Doesn't a new sim card mean a new number ?

how would people text you ?
You give them the new number....?

The cool thing with iphones is when you plug a new sim in, you still have all your contacts and conversations in it (maybe other phones do this, I have no idea) but when I hit the US and swap my sim, I carry on my text conversations as per usual. Most of my friends have my US number so they know it's me.

My ipad automatically syncs my imessage with the new number as well.

As far as the imessage goes, I THINK you have to have your phone on, but can have the data roaming turned off. I seem to recall playing with my settings trying to be 110% sure I was on wifi and not roaming, and I had something pop up along those lines.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
In theory- yes iMessage will work over wifi. However on my last trip to the States I found it failed randomly; sending the messages as SMS.

The one thing is Rogers also introduced a plan that is $8 per day and gives you 50MB of data per day. Might be handier than going with another sim card.
You need to disable "Send as SMS" in the iMessage preferences and then it will only use Wifi or data. I've spent several weeks in the US recently and have only been charged (by Rogers) for outgoing text messages I meant to send (still absurd, but overall cheaper than their US "plans" for the amount I used). Incoming text messages in the US were free since I have unlimited incoming text on my plan.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always do the Rogers add on that gives you a texting a little bit of call time, and is active for a month.
Easiest solution without having to unlock phones, use a different # etc..
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers will unlock it for 50 bucks, and best is to get a sim card down there
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Best way is to unlock and get a TMobile sim card for unlimited Data/Voice/Text for $2 a day. Just walk into any TMobile and they can set you up.

Might not be economical for a 2 day trip, as it is $50 to unlock from Rogers, and $10 for sim card, plus $10 minimum amount to put on the card.

Really starts to pay off if you make multiple trips, or stay a lot longer though.
I'm guess text doesn't include international texting.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm guess text doesn't include international texting.
Correct, just in the US.

I just use an app, pretty easy to get around it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You need to disable "Send as SMS" in the iMessage preferences and then it will only use Wifi or data. I've spent several weeks in the US recently and have only been charged (by Rogers) for outgoing text messages I meant to send (still absurd, but overall cheaper than their US "plans" for the amount I used). Incoming text messages in the US were free since I have unlimited incoming text on my plan.

So can you just clarify how you got charged? I'm assuming you left data on?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Correct, just in the US.

I just use an app, pretty easy to get around it.
Which one, Whatsapp?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know the OP isn't, but if you are with Bell you should ask for this for the data side of things. They usually don't tell you about it:

1GB for $45 North American Data

Basically it works the exact same as the 1GB plan in Canada, except that you can also use it in the US (only $10 more per month than the Canada data plan). I just switched my wife's phone over to this for good (but I use to switch back and forth based on our travel plans). Now we go to the US and I don't even have to think about the usage, it's basically the same as in Canada.

Last edited by Ace; 08-01-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote