Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default How do you pack a suit?

Looking for some advice from the frequent flyers on CP.

My new position will require me to travel a bit. Mostly within Alberta, but I will be flying to other provinces. I'm actually flying out tomorrow to Quebec for some training this coming week.

I've looked up a few ways to pack my suits, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice or tips.

I'm thinking of packing this way:

But then I also saw this:

I usually have no problem packing, but packing my suits is a whole different game for me. Someone also told me to roll them up. Not entirely sure about that.

CP?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Because I travel a lot and wear suits, I held onto a suit bag as part of my luggage part.

The newer style compact luggage really ravages a suit, at least with a suit bag it keeps your suit in a natural condition.

When I get to my hotel I just make sure that the first thing that I do is hang them. If your suit is of decent quality any wrinkles along the back will come right out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have a bit of cash to invest in luggage, I would highly recommend this bag by Briggs and Riley: http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...2CX&sec=travel

It is a lightweight carry-on bag that has a garment suiter, allowing you to carry 1-2 suits in your carry-on luggage. It also has a full lifetime warranty (unlike other brands, which only cover certain parts of the luggage and for a certain number of years), so it is well worth the investment if you are a frequent flyer.

I bought one of these earlier this year and love it for short business trips.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post
If you have a bit of cash to invest in luggage, I would highly recommend this bag by Briggs and Riley: http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...2CX&sec=travel

It is a lightweight carry-on bag that has a garment suiter, allowing you to carry 1-2 suits in your carry-on luggage. It also has a full lifetime warranty (unlike other brands, which only cover certain parts of the luggage and for a certain number of years), so it is well worth the investment if you are a frequent flyer.

That looks great. But I am flying out tomorrow. So no time to pick it up. I'll look into it for sure.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Because I travel a lot and wear suits, I held onto a suit bag as part of my luggage part.

The newer style compact luggage really ravages a suit, at least with a suit bag it keeps your suit in a natural condition.

When I get to my hotel I just make sure that the first thing that I do is hang them. If your suit is of decent quality any wrinkles along the back will come right out.
Good stuff. In the past I have put my suits in the washroom at the hotel right away. Cranked the hot water in the shower and let them steam for a good 15 to 20 mins (insert upset CP tree hugging hippie here).
Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the same way you pack heat.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

But the easiest way to pack a suit is to wear it on the plane.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Most hotels will have an iron and ironing board in the room as well.

I use a suit bag as well most of the time, but either way i get to the room, pull the suits and shirts out of the bag and hang them. First thing.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not roll a suit. That person is messing with you. You will likely have a crushed suit on arrival.
What I typically do absent a garment bag is place my suit jacket into my suitcase with the lower portion flat on the bottom of the lying down case and the top portion of the suit jacket outside the case. I then pack on top of the suit jacket's bottom portion and when the case is getting full fold the top portion of the suit jacket over the rest of what I have packed, creating something of a luggage taco inside the suitcase with a suit jacket as the shell. I've had to do this on several occasions and have never had any problems with wrinkles.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not cheap, but the SkyRoll is definitely worth it if you're going to be traveling a lot.

gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Not the same way you pack heat.
What method do you recommend for fudge?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no good way to pack a suit, so that you can wear it wrinkleless right out of the suitcase, unfortunately. I deal with this by wearing a jacket into the plain and then storing it in the overhead bin folded once inside out. Suit pants are easier to transport. Just fold them in half and either put them in top of your other staff in a suitcase or carry them on a hanger in a portable garment bag as a carry-on. These portable garment bags are cheap and sometimes come as part of a suitcase. If you don't have one, use a garbage bag or dryleaning clear plastic bag. Also, buy a travel steamer at London Drugs for $20-30. Great and useful thing when traveling.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Bench Warmer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I would not roll a suit. That person is messing with you. You will likely have a crushed suit on arrival.
I have 'rolled' my suits often for travel and it works pretty well. It works great for pants...I'd say average for jackets. If I hang my jacket as soon as I get to the hotel, it's usually good to go for next morning. A suit garment bag does work best but if you're flying, I definitely recommend that you try rolling. I didn't watch the video above but I just start at the bottom of the pants or jacket and roll them up so they look like a jelly roll (can't think of a better example) and pack them. Not sure if the video above recommends it this way but it works pretty well for me.

Last edited by Bench Warmer; 05-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Bench Warmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Most hotels will have an iron and ironing board in the room as well.

I use a suit bag as well most of the time, but either way i get to the room, pull the suits and shirts out of the bag and hang them. First thing.
Personally I'm not a good enough ironer to iron a suit.

the steaming idea works as well, you just don't want to leave it in the steam for too long, I was told that it eventually stresses the material and fades the coloring.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well I made it. Unpacked. I used the method on the first video I linked. My suits look just fine.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Well I made it. Unpacked. I used the method on the first video I linked. My suits look just fine.
The bundle method is tried and true, works well. I have also done that approach with shirts too, you just alternate them perpendicularly to the pants and then fold the sleeves up with the pant legs and fold the shirt tails up at the end to avoid creases.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've worn a suit a few times I had to travel with one. Probably not the most comfortable thing to wear on a long a trip, but boy did I ever feel like a pro all decked out at the airport!
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post

I have a similar-style suitcase that i usually check. The problem with the garment compartment I find is that it isn't wide enough. The shoulder width of my suit jackets are wider than the compartment and the suit just ends up "squashed" in. I don't use it anymore. Too bad, I liked the idea.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote