Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fast Passport Replacment

Have a friend whose kid got a hold of his passport and it went into the wash and it is pretty likely that it won't be good for travel.

What's the fastest way to get it replaced? He is travelling midweek, is it even possible?

Baring that, how damaged could a passport be while still having them accept it? I havent seen it, but pages curled and ink is maybe a bit faded. What about the chips inside?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
the wanderer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/service.aspx?lang=eng#urgent
the wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

10 days at a passport office is the best I know of outside of a consular office. If page 3 is still legible it should still be okay. I had onethat got soaked sailing in Australia years ago, ink ran etc. But page 3 was okay, and it was still usable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once got a passport in 2 hours. You need proof of travel and will have to pay a fee to expedite it.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once lost a passport while I was in Toronto and about to take a flight to Chicago. I must have left it in a hotel and only noticed it was missing when I was at the airport about to check in. I ended up getting truly wonderful service from Air Canada (I know...it is actually possible) and they gave me information on how to get an urgent passport (see link from the wanderer above) and I got it the next day. It was a total pain in the *ss but I ended up getting on the plane about 24 hours after my original flight. An urgent passport could take up to 48 hours but if they can get their references prepared to be called, it is possible to get one in less than 12 hours.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

A buddy of mine had his replaced within a week. I think it ran him around $100. That's about all I know for details.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get it in 24 hours. Need proof of imminent travel as mentioned above and have to pay a $70 fee.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
You can get it in 24 hours. Need proof of imminent travel as mentioned above and have to pay a $70 fee.
And make sure your references are lined up and ready.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been said, in here already, but from experience, you can get one in 1 day. Have all you poop in order, and bring proof of travel. But, note, this can only be done at Harry Hays, NOT at the south passport office, or rural offices, ie: Red Deer.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome info, thanks everyone.

The passport is actually for the kid, so I don't think references will be an issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Guest1

I thought references were only needed for people that have never applied for a passport before?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I thought references were only needed for people that have never applied for a passport before?
They're needed for expedited passports and they cannot be family members.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The only times I have been called for references are for somebody who was applying for their very first passport; and for people needing the 24 hour emergency passports.

For one of the emergency passports, the lady calling was quite mad that I didn't know my buddy's exact address. I told her I knew exactly how to get to his house, but didn't send him mail very often. So make sure your references know the address.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

on a somewhat unrelated note, i find that thanks to my cellphone and my precious contact list, I no longer remember my of the personal contact info for people in my life - i.e. last week I had to look up my wifes work number - I then decided it was too difficult to ask for permission, so I begged for foregiveness instead......
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Been said, in here already, but from experience, you can get one in 1 day. Have all you poop in order, and bring proof of travel. But, note, this can only be done at Harry Hays, NOT at the south passport office, or rural offices, ie: Red Deer.
I got mine at Canada Place in Edmonton. I had a 6:50 a.m. flight to Philadelphia via Denver and had only arrived in Edmonton the night before (from Minneapolis). I left my passport in the seat pocket in front of me on my plane I'm pretty sure.

So I showed up at the airport and didn't have a passport. What United did was they issued a flight at 3:30 for myself and my travel companion to Denver (then onward to Philly). At that point, the race was on. I went to Canada Place and as soon as it opened (9 I think) I talked to someone there and asked how soon I could get my passport. They said I could get it by 12:30 or 1.

At that point, I had to get my passport photo, show them my birth certificate, hand them my boarding pass (which I think they scanned and had to send to Ottawa). My travel companion acted as my guarantor so she talked to them in person (I think this helped a lot).

I then had to go to a commissionaire and swear that I had indeed lost my passport and bring that document back to Canada Place.

I contacted my references and told them to make sure that they were completely available for the next several hours. After that, I just waited.

I figured I would check on the status of it at around 11:30 and sure enough, the passport was complete.

The one funny thing about the story is that when I did go through customs, they pulled me aside for verification since my passport had that exact day as my issue date and I was wearing the same thing in my photo that I had on at that time.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it true that if you apply for a 24 hour passport, it arrives at noon the day after you apply?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I got mine at Canada Place in Edmonton. I had a 6:50 a.m. flight to Philadelphia via Denver and had only arrived in Edmonton the night before (from Minneapolis). I left my passport in the seat pocket in front of me on my plane I'm pretty sure.

So I showed up at the airport and didn't have a passport. What United did was they issued a flight at 3:30 for myself and my travel companion to Denver (then onward to Philly). At that point, the race was on. I went to Canada Place and as soon as it opened (9 I think) I talked to someone there and asked how soon I could get my passport. They said I could get it by 12:30 or 1.

At that point, I had to get my passport photo, show them my birth certificate, hand them my boarding pass (which I think they scanned and had to send to Ottawa). My travel companion acted as my guarantor so she talked to them in person (I think this helped a lot).

I then had to go to a commissionaire and swear that I had indeed lost my passport and bring that document back to Canada Place.

I contacted my references and told them to make sure that they were completely available for the next several hours. After that, I just waited.

I figured I would check on the status of it at around 11:30 and sure enough, the passport was complete.

The one funny thing about the story is that when I did go through customs, they pulled me aside for verification since my passport had that exact day as my issue date and I was wearing the same thing in my photo that I had on at that time.

But is Canada Place the Main Passport office for Edmonton? My understanding was only main office could do one days.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Jeez @ you guys that outright lost the thing. If I lost my passport I would be paranoid for the rest of my life.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I needed an emergency passport to go to Palm Springs and went to Harry Hayes at 7am and had my passport by 2. I am sure i could have got it earlier if needed.

It cost me $157.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
But is Canada Place the Main Passport office for Edmonton? My understanding was only main office could do one days.
It must be.