Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Newfoundland

So I did a quick forum search and found the following threads that offer a lot of great advice on things to do:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...t=newfoundland

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...t=newfoundland

I had a question about the seasons though. The GF won a trip for two anywhere in Canada, this works out perfect as the only place we really want to go is also the most expensive flight.

The GF is an aspiring CA so she will be writing a big exam in the fall, and starts her study time off in July. Also, busy time dictates she can't leave the office from Feb to April. So we have sometime between the beginning of May and the end of June to make this work. Delaying the trip until the fall is not an option as we will be in Nepal base camping Everest.

We were thinking about May long weekend, so I think this year that will be the 17th. We wanted to go on a long weekend because with all of the days she has to take off for her study leave she really can't afford to use up a lot of holidays. So we figured with a holiday in there, we take off an extra two and that gives us a 5 day trip to make it worth the flight.

Anyone travelled/lived in Newfoundland during this time that can spread a little light on what activities we can expect to be available and limited? Is it that much more worth it to delay the trip until June and possibly lose a day? Would you recommend we have even more time?

Keep in mind I am not a fan of tourists (ya I know I did see the latest South Park), so I do not mind doing the off season.. also we are big out doors people, so while I am excited to tour St. Johns, I plan to spend as much time as possible out of the city.

Another option is we go this winter, between Christmas and (or for) New Years, this would also coincide with our two year anniversary.. and would require no days off as our offices are both closed during this time.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 10-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:

Don't worry about tourists in Newfoundland. Go in June if you can swing it.

I rode the entire west coast from Port Aux Basque to St. Anthony, smack in the middle of July in 2007, on a motorcycle.

Spent a flawless sunny day treating Gros Morne National Park like it was my own personal race track and that's exactly what it was... it was pretty much empty, with the exception of the parking lot to the trail head to Western Brook Pond.

Not sure what it's like on the east coat, never been.

I grew up in Cape Breton and somehow didn't make it to Newfoundland until after I moved to Ontario. Always holding CB so high, I actually demoted my homeland to 2nd place after visiting Newfoundland. That province is beautiful.

I do love the Alberta Rockies, but, to me, it's always hard to beat a landscape that has a raging salt water sea surrounding it.

Fly into Corner Brook and stick to the West Coast (Gros Morne) if you only have 4-5 days. If you're base camping Everest, I'm assuming you like the outdoors. There won't be anyone around. If Newfoundland is a 'dream trip', then I'd ride out the expiry of her prize and go at a time when you can give the entire province a good 2 weeks of your time to soak it all in and experience it's un-rushed charm.
Hans Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Landa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kiss your liver goodbye.

I only got to spend a week there during a friend's wedding (and we were drunk the whole week), but St. John's is a beautiful city. Walk everywhere. L'anse aux meadows is supposed to be gorgeous.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the starter of the second thread, I think given 5 days you either need to decide to do St. John's/east coast or Cornerbrook/Gros Morne/l'Anse aux Meadows. St. John's to Cornerbrook is 8+ hours drive and the two parks are north of that.

Our trip was in August and we did something like this:
The Irish Loop
St. John's
Terra Nova park
Trinity/Bonavista
St. John's

Trinity and Bonavista had great scenery and in June you'd have whale watching opportunities and maybe even some icebergs.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have lived or drank beer in 17 countries. St. John's is my favorite city I have ever been to.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I have lived or drank beer in 17 countries.
Now that is something to be proud of.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iceberg season begins about late April, so early May is likely a time for that if you want to see Icebergs (Also, Iceberg beer from Quidi Vidi brewery is pretty good, if not special, as they brew it with iceberg water)

Gros Morne National Park is really really nice as well, it still might be a bit cold and L'anse Aux Meadows may not be open at that time, but I agree about the roads, really fun to drive on.

If you've only got a week, you have to pick either east or west, there's no way to take in ALL of Newfoundland within a week.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Sounds like we will land in St. Johns on the 15th of May, depart on the 20th.

Give us 4 full days and 5 nights in the area. I have a friend who lives in St. Johns so he can pick us up and show us around. Now that I know the time of year works, I have been researching things to do. My passions are beer, fishing, beer, camping, beer, hiking, beer and beer. Might be a wee bit cold to go camping, but I am hoping to get in a few good hikes and/our scenic drives.

One thing I looked at for killing a day was the Irish Loop, 310km of near coast driving sounds pretty sweet..
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
One thing I looked at for killing a day was the Irish Loop, 310km of near coast driving sounds pretty sweet..
In May in NL...

Prepare for Wind, Snow, Fog, Rain and Sunshine...all in the same day...

Sometimes before noon...

A great drive is ruined if its through pea-soup fog...

Trust me...

For hiking...http://www.eastcoasttrail.ca/trail/

Last edited by Nufy; 10-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nufy For This Useful Post: