Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Cali Bound...Where to go?

So I'm going for 10 days to southern california here in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where to eat, what to see. I'm already going for a Dodgers game. My fiance is coming with me and is scared for my life because I'll be cheering for the other team. Should she be worried? I've looked into football and the Chargers are out of town while i'm there as are all of the Division 1 schools. And we are doing Disneyland for a couple of days, but other than that we are open. Any help you guys could share would be much appreciated!
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

6 Flags new rides so intense haha.

I'm going for a week in christmas and going to the christmas day lakers game, hiking up to the hollywood sign, spending a an afternoon downtown, spending an evening eating and drinking in koreatown, i would take your fiancé to Bar Marmont at the chateau marmont. etc etc. The polo lounge at the beverly hills hotel has a great sunday brunch (haven't been in years though)...... if you got coin, eating at Urasawa (japanese) is recommended and i will be doing the same ... something stupid but $300 a head to eat from a sushi master is something that appeals to me. i wouldn't be scared cheering for the other team at the dodgers game... your supposed to eat a dodger dog at the stadium haha. id stroll venice if you have never been. etc etc. so many choices in that city.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The only redeeming quality of LA is In-n-Out.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

yes DEF hit up In-n-Out!

another redeeming quality is the weather. and if your single.... the women. but everything doesn't matter when your stuck in traffic for hours and hours
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
So I'm going for 10 days to southern california here in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on where to eat, what to see. I'm already going for a Dodgers game. My fiance is coming with me and is scared for my life because I'll be cheering for the other team. Should she be worried? I've looked into football and the Chargers are out of town while i'm there as are all of the Division 1 schools. And we are doing Disneyland for a couple of days, but other than that we are open. Any help you guys could share would be much appreciated!
If the other team is the San Francisco Giants then I would keep your d-baggery to a minimum in Dodger Stadium. You are ok to wear Giants gear but I would avoid talking smack - or you might get smacked.
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

Agreed.

This is useful:

Quote:
Secret menu variations

A pair of 3x3 cheeseburgers and fries.

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, Managing Editor of Serious Eats, with the help of an In-N-Out employee ordered and catalogued every single secret menu item, publishing the results in The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide. In-N-Out's own website acknowledges the existence of its secret menu, listing the following six choices while noting that these are just "some of the most popular items on our not-so-secret menu."[3]
  • Double Meat - "Two 100% pure beef patties, hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, spread, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun."[3]
  • 3 x 3 - "Three 100% pure beef patties, hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, spread, three slices of American cheese, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun."[3]
  • 4 x 4 - "Four 100% pure beef patties, hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, spread, four slices of American cheese, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun."[3]
  • Grilled Cheese - "Two slices of melted American cheese, hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, spread, with or without onions on a freshly baked bun."[3]
  • Protein Style - "Your favorite burger wrapped in hand-leafed lettuce, instead of a bun."[3]
  • Animal Style - "Burger of your choice with hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, a mustard cooked beef patty; add pickle, extra spread, with grilled onions."[3]
Other secret menu items that have been documented elsewhere include:
  • X by Y - X beef patties and Y slices of cheese. A change in policy has limited the size of burgers to four beef patties and four slices of cheese (see "4 x 4" above). Prior to the change, there was no known constraint on the amounts of beef and cheese that could be ordered in a single burger. However, the largest burger ever purchased and documented was a 100 x 100, containing one hundred beef patties and one hundred slices of cheese.[6]
  • Veggie Burger - A sandwich containing only vegetables, without beef or cheese.[7]
  • Texas Style - Burger of your choice with mustard instead of spread.
  • Sliced Chiles - Mild, pickled chopped peppers are added to the burger.
  • Flying Dutchman - Two beef patties with two slices of American cheese between them. This style comes with no bun, no lettuce, and no tomatoes.[8]
[edit] Additional condiments
  • Spread - packets of refrigerated "Spread", similar to Thousand Island dressing.
  • Yellow Peppers - packets of whole yellow Chili peppers. These can also be added to your burger by requesting "Chopped Chilies."
  • Pickles - pickles do not come on the burger and can be added upon request
[edit] Onion styles

The company's customization extends to the onions it serves. The default style of "Regular Onions" consists of an entire slice of fresh onion. The company will also serve the slice cooked ("whole grilled"), raw chopped, and grilled. How the onions are ordered will determine its placement on the sandwich; raw whole onions are placed with the cold ingredients, cooked onions are on the burger patty.[citation needed]

[edit] French fries

An In-N-Out employee preparing potatoes for its french fries.

Animal fries from In-N-Out Burger's secret menu

In-N-Out uses the Kennebec variety of potato for its fries and prepares them in store as opposed to purchasing them pre-made from other companies. The company's french fries have always been fried in vegetable oil while other chains have historically used lard or beef tallow.[9]
[edit] Secret menu variations

These are also posted at The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide.
  • Fries "Light" - Decreased cooking time for a softer product.
  • Fries "Light Well" - Slightly increased cooking time for a crispy outside.
  • Fries "Well" - Increased cooking time for a crispier product.
  • Fries "Extra-Well" - Further increased cooking time for a very crispy product.
  • "Animal Fries" - Melted cheese, spread, and grilled onions.
  • Cheese fries - Fries with cheese

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

LEGO Land!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i liked san diego.

of course you could always try compton or LBC if you want the homeboy tour.....
Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don’t get hammered and talk #### at the Dodgers game and skip the Dodger dog, get the garlic fries.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Cafe Lu in Santa Ana, or a number of other cafe's in Garden Grove as well.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any good beaches worth checking out other than venice? Or any good restaurants along the beach somewhere? Preferably south of Santa Monica. Either something romantic or just has a really good vibe. and YES. In-N-Out is on my list. Numerous times over!
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Before the Dodgers game, go to Phillipe's the Original for the original French dip sandwich, though I'd also get one with lamb and blue cheese if you're there anyway.

When you're in Hollywood, tie in a trip to Thai town for some Thai food.

If you go to San Diego, spend an afternoon in Tijuana (if an afternoon isn't enough, spend a few afternoons there, but get out before it gets dark). Seriously, it's awesome if you get away from the tourist dump that is Revolucion. Go to Mercado Hidalgo and wander around trying different produce and tacos. Find a street that is bustling with locals, and go for a walk.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can hit San Francisco do not miss it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If you can hit San Francisco do not miss it.
Listen to that advice, although it sounds like you are going further to the south.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd definitely hit up Compton as well and check out the scenery.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteLFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If driving from LA to SF, I would suggest stopping at Pismo Beach. Super beautiful there. If you like seafood, they have a restaurant that's famous for their clam chowder in a bread bowl. It's amazing.

I will 3rd the Compton suggestion as well. Not as scenic, but well worth the experience and it's a lot closer to LAX too
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

If you have a free Sunday, drive up to Santa Barbara - they have an art walk along the beach that is pretty cool - and Santa Barbara is an awesome place to visit. In regards to Dodger Stadium - if you aren't obnoxious you should be cool - just be respectful of the fans around you.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newport Beach, Dana Point, basically anything south of LA. If you'll be in San Diego head to Coronado.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gas Lamp District or Old town in San Diego...

best 4 days on someone elses dime ever...

Thank you Solar Turbines...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #20
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Gas Lamp District or Old town in San Diego...

best 4 days on someone elses dime ever...

Thank you Solar Turbines...
Great advice. Every time I go to Southern California (which is pretty much every summer) I wish I spent more time in San Diego. And every year I spend more time in San Diego than the previous vacation.

La Jolla is an excellent beach. Mission is good, too though more commercialized.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote