Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default Taking Young Kids On Roadtrips

Background: My best friend has been going through a tough time lately. She has a 5 year old son and her husband just left her for someone else. Divorce papers are being finalized etc...

I was talking to her and suggested we take a weekend trip up to Edmonton and the big mall. We can just hangout and take the boy to the waterpark, amusement park, skating rink amongst other activities. However she says that her son could never handle a 3-hour car ride.. he can handle at most one hour before he gets unbearable. I suggested breaks in the driving but she insists that it's impossible.

Is this common? I don't have kids yet so I don't know. When I was a kid (in ye olden days) I went everywhere with my parents. I went on a road trip to Disneyland when I was 5

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a DVD player.

You can get one that sits on his lap or straps to the back of the headrest for a very reasonable price.

If he is anything like my kids, between the DVD and sleeping, it will be a snap. Of course, I am on my 3rd now, so I have mastered the art of ignoring my children in the van.

Last edited by Rathji; 07-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

there is a very simple solution....

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just let him go nutty in the backseat and keep driving until he calms himself down.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe the little nit just doesn't want to go to Edmonton.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I don't think it's that common. Our kids can go hours in the car.

Why don't you suggest Douglas Fir Resort in Banff? They have indoor waterslides and a pool. The rooms have kitchens so you can do your own meals. Go to the Gondala.

My kids LOVE going there.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm generally in the "just let them go nuts till they calm themselves down" camp, but if your friend is going through a tough time and the kid doesn't travel well, perhaps a trip won't be all that relaxing for her.

Personally I haven't talked with a parent of a 5 year old with that problem yet, but I don't know a ton of them, so maybe it's more common than I'm aware. My guess is that's a little rare. While it's tempting to blame her parenting style and encourage her to push the kid, let's not forget that a divorce can be brutal on a 5 year old and having him act out in unpredictable ways probably isn't all that uncommon.

My kids are 3 months and 2.5 years. We take a yearly trip to the Okanagan (twitter followers might be familiar with me blowing it way out of proportion). Generally an 8 hour drive takes about 10 with all the stops. It was pretty bad when the eldest was 3 months, turbo annoying when he was 1 (just wanted to crawl around), but it got significantly easier after 2 because he liked movies/tv and could watch an iPad for long sections of the trip.

I try not to judge other parents as all kids are different. Good for you for thinking of something nice to do for your friend though. Perhaps ask her if there's a reasonable alternative that she might like... perhaps another friend watches the kid while you guys go do something she doesn't normally do in the city?

Last edited by Russic; 07-20-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Guest1

I don't want to judge either, but that does seem a bit odd.
My kid is 3 and can handle it. Like others said: DVD, IPad, stopping for breaks, go somewhere shorter (Banff, Sylvan Lake...)
Maybe the cost of the upcoming divorce is weighing on her mind and this is her way of saying no, but is too embarrassed to admit it?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I don't want to judge either, but that does seem a bit odd.
My kid is 3 and can handle it. Like others said: DVD, IPad, stopping for breaks, go somewhere shorter (Banff, Sylvan Lake...)
Maybe the cost of the upcoming divorce is weighing on her mind and this is her way of saying no, but is too embarrassed to admit it?
We're really best friends. Money is not an issue, I'm inviting and I'm paying. She's payed for a tonne of stuff in the past.

Banff sounds like a great idea too. Although I wanted to shop

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you spent time with the kid? Can you describe him - from others I have heard who have kids 3hrs does seem like a lot for someone that age.

DVD, Book on tape etc is what I would suggest. I figured an iPad with a game or movie would work as well. Straight shot it to Red Deer and bathroom/stretch stop at the Red Deer Alberta sprots hall of fame then straight shot it to Edmonton from there.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cabin fever?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_fever
Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We recently did a 7+ hour trip with our 3 year old. There can be trying times, but its really not that bad. We used the above strategies-- lots of breaks, and also keeping someone in the backseat to keep him occupied (books, drawing, etc). I bet if you also explain to the child that in Edmonton they can do fun things at the mall, you'll be able to get them to buy in as well.
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't tell the kid you're going to Edm - that will only make it worse

Seriously though, 1 hour intervals seems pretty short based on my experience/that of my friends. Edm should be realistic with one bathroom break. Really though, it's not the kind of thing that is going to be fixed in one trip, nor will the process be easy/relaxing. It sounds like now might not be the best time to tackle that problem (although it really should be addressed soon). Keeping the kid distracted/engaged in something else is probably the key. Perhaps have the mom sit in the backseat with the little guy and try to engage him in games etc...lots of options here.Try to make it to Red Deer, then break for an activity (something fun/active for him) and then push on again.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sleeping pills. Knock the little hellion out.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a 5 year old and a 2 year old to San Diego, three days of driving with zero issues. Take a break when you need to , let the kids run around and you'll be fine.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe being an only child has something to do with it but that seems like a lot of managing and maintenance for a kid that age? We have done 6,800KM + loops of the US on multiple occassions and granted the sights are more interesting vs Edmonton but rarely do we even need to pull out the DVD players as the kids are right into it. I guess last year near Elko, NV we had to but Nevada and into the Utah desert is about as exciting as Edmonton I guess
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Get a DVD player.

You can get one that sits on his lap or straps to the back of the headrest for a very reasonable price.

If he is anything like my kids, between the DVD and sleeping, it will be a snap. Of course, I am on my 3rd now, so I have mastered the art of ignoring my children in the van.
+1

My boys have endured some long drives, by being able to watch movies. They behave really well. For the driver, it can get annoying listen to kids movies during the trip
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would think if you had someone to keep them company + dvd player that would work.

Maybe you can start driving early when they are still sleepy and groggy they'll be asleep most of the trip?
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. I grew up taking 20 hour trips several times a year. 3 hours? That's nothing!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
I would think if you had someone to keep them company + dvd player that would work.

Maybe you can start driving early when they are still sleepy and groggy they'll be asleep most of the trip?

We do that trick quite often. Leave for big trips around 2am or 3am and the kids don't wake up until 8am or 9am and I am on my second Red Bull
macker is offline   Reply With Quote