Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Flames Feaster: "I really feel Jarome will finish his career here in Calgary"

Just thought I'd share a couple of quotes from Feaster who was interviewed on the Columbus brodcast of tonight's game between the 1st and 2nd periods.

On Iginla:

"It's a non issue for us and because there never was a story to begin with, our rebuttal has become the story. We have never approached Jarome about being traded and he's never came to us about it. He has told us many times he wants to be part of the solution here and wants to win here. I really feel he will finish his career here in Calgary."

On trades brewing:

"It's very difficult to make trades in today's NHL because it's all about dollars in matching dollars out. When you have a player you're interested in or a player we have that generates interest, you start having to look at supplementary moves to match the dollars going in and out. That or you start having to look at adding other pieces etc..."
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should be an interesting trade deadline for the Flames this year.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Dion isn't being traded"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Notorious Honey Badger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope he finishes his career in Calgary.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My heart loves the strong stance on having Jarome finishing his career as a life long Flame, but my head is terrified at the thought that they think there is some sort of solution involving keeping Iginla on this team.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
"It's very difficult to make trades in today's NHL because it's all about dollars in matching dollars out. When you have a player you're interested in or a player we have that generates interest, you start having to look at supplementary moves to match the dollars going in and out. That or you start having to look at adding other pieces etc..."
Hence why it is foolish to go into the season spending right to the cap. Ideally, you should have a few million in space to allow for mid-season transactions if necessary.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post

"Dion isn't being traded"
Pretty much. I can't take what he says seriously and this is just PR work for the meantime. Also gives notice to other GMs that you have to offer something good to get Iggy.

Otherwise if they're not considering shipping Iggy even with a solid deal that helps them long term, I don't know what to say about this organization then. No matter the player, they are NEVER above the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope he can win a cup before the end of his career. Whether it's in Calgary or not, he deserves it. I just hope that it is in Calgary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baaarrden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
My heart loves the strong stance on having Jarome finishing his career as a life long Flame, but my head is terrified at the thought that they think there is some sort of solution involving keeping Iginla on this team.
There is nothing wrong with keeping a veteran presence through a rebuild and suggesting this team can't build a winning team while keeping Iginla over the next five years is just ignorant.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So Iginla will be traded to a contender; win a cup then resign with Calgary in 2013/2014 to finish his career.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simmonjam1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
murray1
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And that right there is the reason this team will be crap for years instead of undergoing a quick rebuild... Management refusing to acknowledge and deal with the real problems facing this team is what put this team in its current position and will only hurt it more in the future...
The Following User Says Thank You to murray1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think he finishes his career in Calgary, in between now and 6 years from now?

mystery
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

While jay did not seem to say what they think, iggy wants to be part of the solution.....iggy may retire a flame because he refuses to be traded......although I suppose that he'll likely need one more contract to retire
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with keeping a veteran presence through a rebuild and suggesting this team can't build a winning team while keeping Iginla over the next five years is just ignorant.
Iginla is going to by far getting us the most pieces to a. actually have a good chance of having a successful rebuild and b. doing it in a somewhat timely matter.

Also, keeping vets is a good and necessary thing. Keeping a guy like Iginla who helps ensure the team is just good enough to not finish bottom 5 but not good enough to make the play-offs is not a good or necessary thing.

Thinking that the team is better off keeping their top and old asset while trying to rebuild the team and missing the play-offs is a good thing is just ignorant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla is going to by far getting us the most pieces to a. actually have a good chance of having a successful rebuild and b. doing it in a somewhat timely matter.

Also, keeping vets is a good and necessary thing. Keeping a guy like Iginla who helps ensure the team is just good enough to not finish bottom 5 but not good enough to make the play-offs is not a good or necessary thing.

Thinking that the team is better off keeping their top and old asset while trying to rebuild the team and missing the play-offs is a good thing is just ignorant.

The rebuild is already under way with an injection of youth this year and will continue while keeping Iginla.

You're negative about everything all of the time Moon.

It's very possible Iginla helps this team through a rebuild and plays a vital contribution in that process.

Since that is the likely option he and both the team have continuously put forward, I suggest you get used to it and find something else to fixate on.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray1 View Post
And that right there is the reason this team will be crap for years instead of undergoing a quick rebuild... Management refusing to acknowledge and deal with the real problems facing this team is what put this team in its current position and will only hurt it more in the future...
Did you watch the game tonight or did you just drop with more of the same drive by Iginla hating comments?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Wow I agree with moon for once. Stop the presses!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray1 View Post

What makes you think the rebuild will be quick if Jarome is traded?

I for one want Iginla to finish his career in Calgary but I would not be opposed to dealing him at the deadline or next season with him coming back as a UFA.

Looking at HF (i know terrible source) or reading bogus twitter rumors, all the trades that supposedly being offered for Iginla are absolute junk packages that are not worth dealing the captain.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It would be interesting to see what teams would offer for Jarome. I have a feeling it won't be near as much as many of us think.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The rebuild is already under way with an injection of youth this year and will continue while keeping Iginla.
The injection of youth is nice but there is no elite level talent and arguably no top 6 level talent that an Iginla trade can bring and that is desperately needed with this team.

Quote:
You're negative about everything all of the time Moon.
You can keep repeating that BS all you want it won't make it any more true.

And I fail to see how this is being negative just because it disagrees with your view.

Quote:
It's very possible Iginla helps this team through a rebuild and plays a vital contribution in that process.

Since that is the likely option he and both the team have continuously put forward, I suggest you get used to it and find something else to fixate on.
I would like to see how it is "very possible" that happens. Not trading our best asset with an already weak asset base does not seem like the most likely ways to have this rebuild be successful.

Also how do I fixate on dealing Iginla? I think this may at most have been the 3 post I have had on the topic and have been far from a proponent of doing so.
Closed Thread