Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Road Trip To California in December, What To Do With My Winter Tires

So I'm thinking abour driving to california in December. This got me thinking do I take my winter tires off for this trip. Will I do any damage to them if i drive for a couple weeks in 20 degree weather? Obviously I'd want them on going through the northern US.

Tire experts?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Pray for snow and cold in California. Problem solved.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

would it actually be 20 degrees? i was in Vegas last winter and the temperature never got above 15, and that's in the desert. either way i don't think a couple of weeks in warmer weather will ruin your tires
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you've got a 4x4 SUV just keep your all seasons on. You'll be fine, especially when stopping on ice!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
So I'm thinking abour driving to california in December. This got me thinking do I take my winter tires off for this trip. Will I do any damage to them if i drive for a couple weeks in 20 degree weather? Obviously I'd want them on going through the northern US.

Tire experts?
you may need winter tires (even chains) for some parts

and its not 20 degrees... dunno about San Diego though
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would keep the tires on. If we have a winter like we did last year, you'll be driving through snow in California.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I think it was 22 today, but 32 yesterday (Palm Springs)...the temperature is very up and down, but it will be hot but not 45 degrees again until June or July. You will see 20s if you head this far south, so probably would want to swap tires. Maybe store them somewhere and pick them up on the way out?

I don't recommend winter tires in southern Cali at all, they are too soft on a hot road.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would keep them on regardless of which way you are going to get there. There are passes in Utah that top out at 6,100 feet and between Las Vegas and LA 5,000 feet along the I-15. Northern California we went through a pass that topped out at 7,179 by Lake Tahoe and there was snow on the shoulders of the road last July. The I-80 in Nortern California and Northern Nevada has many areas that not only do you need winter tires but likely even chains in December. These numbers are all in feet but to put it into perspective the highest driveable pass in Canada is the highwood pass and it tops out at 7,239 feet or 2206 M. High elevation = snow = winter tires
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Extra wear from 2 weeks of use in above zero temps is negligible. I keep mine on all summer and there's barely much difference between them and all-seasons (wear wise).
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I've driven back to Calgary in December for XMas at least 4 times in an Acura RSX with regular tires never had an issue. Got caught in a snowstorm in the Glacier Park in Montana that took about 5 years off my life - but other than that - smooth sailing
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just sell them and learn how to drive

Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I've driven back to Calgary in December for XMas at least 4 times in an Acura RSX with regular tires never had an issue. Got caught in a snowstorm in the Glacier Park in Montana that took about 5 years off my life - but other than that - smooth sailing
You're lucky it did'nt take more years off (kidding).

I would lean towards leaving them on...the stress and possible consequences of needing them and not having them outweigh those of not needing them and having them (i'm thinking of mountain snowstorms).

Also, carefully check out weather forecasts before you leave.

Last edited by drhu22; 11-03-2011 at 10:28 PM.
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Adding $100 of wear to your winter tires (probably a huge exaggeration) is worth it to save a fender bender or worse that will cost you $1500 at absolute minimum and create huge hassles and possibly kill a couple days of your trip.

Cheap insurance.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are some high mountain passes in California, where you would want snow tires. Especially going from Oregon into Northern California.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I agree with keeping them on. One huge consideration is where in California you are going. If you are going to the Bay Area, I wouldn't even think twice about it. The only reason to even consider this is if you are going somewhere much warmer than 20 degrees; like San Diego. But as was said earlier- even if that adds $100 worth of wear I would still do it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

did that drive with some friends... 10 years ago... just check the forecast and make a gametime decision. We went that year with no snow from calgary to vegas (maybe a bit in lethbridge)

although hulkrogan's advice makes the most sense to me now that I am 10 years older
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess my main concern would be that the tire completly disintegrates on LA freeways if the tempature hits mid twenties, if it's just a little extra wear and tear then I absolutly will keep them on.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While winter tires definitely wear faster in hot temperatures, it is not anywhere close to excessive. I put over 16000 km on a set of winters from April to October, sometimes with temps over 30C, two years ago with negligible wear. If you are going through any mountain pass from November to April I would say using winter tires are a no brainer.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote