Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you recommend for gas and electricity in Calgary?
Enmax 88 89.80%
Direct Energy 9 9.18%
Other 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New home utilities

To the braintrust of CP...

Myself and the fiance recently bought a home and move in to it in late August. This is the first home either of us have owned here in Calgary and we're not entirely sure on our options for utilities and am hoping for some input on which utility services (if there is even more than one option) are best.

Just surfing the interwebs it seems like EasyMax would be the easiest to have it all combined? But maybe not...

Also, since we're moving, I'm contemplating jumping ship from Shaw and head to Telus Optik for TV/Internet? I tried surfing the Telus TV thread but its way too freaking long.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have both and its nice to only have 2 bills
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Enmax easymax without a doubt...you aren't locked in. Change whenever you aren't happy.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
bringtheheat
Draft Pick

Go with Enmax, they are the easiest i have found, everything on one bill. as for telus and shaw, i have shaw, no contracts or anything, so you can get out of it really easily if need be. Telus as far as i know you have a contract and from what i have heard, you get less channels for more money with Telus.

I had a group of them (Telus) come to my house and try to get me to switch and they were offering a substantially smaller package for $20+ more a month.

SO personal recommendation, Enmax and Shaw
bringtheheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enmax for gas.
Spot Power for electricity, because I'm curious as to their fees.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

go enmax easymax for everything. Watch the fixed versus floating rate on their site monthly. I lock in for the months where it will be higher then go floating when it's lower.

very easy.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think we should have a poll. What are the options, besides Enmax and Direct Energy?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I think we should have a poll. What are the options, besides Enmax and Direct Energy?
Spot Power.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here tried Bullfrog for the "green" power?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Anyone here tried Bullfrog for the "green" power?
It's not really different. Basically you just pay more to have green power....like a rider for your utility bill.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
go enmax easymax for everything. Watch the fixed versus floating rate on their site monthly. I lock in for the months where it will be higher then go floating when it's lower.

very easy.
How much are you saving by doing this? Just wondering if it's worth the effort of monitoring and switching as necessary (yes I know that sounds lazy)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
How much are you saving by doing this? Just wondering if it's worth the effort of monitoring and switching as necessary (yes I know that sounds lazy)
Doesn't sound lazy at all. Probably have more important things to do in life than change payment options all the time. Sure you'll feel good that you save that $2 the first month, but then you forget to switch it back when the price goes the other way and you end up in the hole $20. That's the way I see it.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's not really different. Basically you just pay more to have green power....like a rider for your utility bill.
That's what I gathered, but do you get to carry yourself around with a smug sense of entitlement for saving the earth?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's what I gathered, but do you get to carry yourself around with a smug sense of entitlement for saving the earth?
Absolutely, and it's worth every penny!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Have those of you that have switched from DE to Enmax noticed any increase or decrease in your monthly gas bill? All I really want to know is that I haven't agreed to pay more $$ for the convenience of having only one bill.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm trying to remember the exact number; but the BS admin fees were either $5 or $10 lower when I switched my gas over from DE.

The other minor crappy thing with Easy Max; when you redeem your dollars it goes towards your next bill. I keep forgetting that, get a $400 bill in February and want to use my ~$100 credit. Then I get hit with $3-4 for a late payment.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing I've been trying to figure out...can I sign up for EasyMax online the day I move in? Or is there a delay from when you sign up to when services are started?
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Another thing I've been trying to figure out...can I sign up for EasyMax online the day I move in? Or is there a delay from when you sign up to when services are started?
When I moved here at few years ago I signed up about a month before I actually took possession of the house (brand new house). I think they just started the billing when I told them to. It's probably best to call now and get everything set up so you don't run into any issues when you move in.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Have those of you that have switched from DE to Enmax noticed any increase or decrease in your monthly gas bill? All I really want to know is that I haven't agreed to pay more $$ for the convenience of having only one bill.
Direct Energy is a rip-off. Their administration fees are through the roof. They're not even based in Canada.

I switched my gas over from DE to EasyMax a couple months ago, and have probably saved myself a cool $40/month so far, including the $100/year rebate they offer, which can be applied monthly to your bill. I even got a $64 rebate from DE for some reason after switching to EasyMax, of which Enmax did all the paperwork. I didn't even expect that!

Sign up for EasyMax, cast away DE, and take a hot shower to cleanse yourself of their stench. Then spend the money you saved on booze. Then all will be well in the world.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The other minor crappy thing with Easy Max; when you redeem your dollars it goes towards your next bill. I keep forgetting that, get a $400 bill in February and want to use my ~$100 credit. Then I get hit with $3-4 for a late payment.
This has happened to me to. I just called them up and they credit me back the late payment
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote