Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bose VideoWave System

This thing is incredible. The Bose Store in Southcentre has a demo room where you can hear it in action. You truly feel like you're listening to a 5.1 system with incredibly deep bass and full sound. The speakers (6 of them apparently) are mounted behind the TV. With a $6300 price point it's more than most would be willing to pay for a entertainment system, but wow.

Its design has to be the future of home theatre. The sound redirection technology and fullness of the low frequency noises is some of the best I've ever heard. So simple too. No wires, takes up virtually no space if you mount it. I want. Badly.

Definitely take a few minutes to take in the presentation next time you're at Southcentre.

More here:

http://www.bose.ca/controller?event=...rceid=EM280271

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 01-13-2011 at 02:14 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds really interesting.

One of those technologies that I'll believe when I see (hear).

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Que the - We hate Bose and their overpriced crap that I could replace for 1/10 the price at speaker city.

I love my 10+1 system, I dont care what anyone says. I bought it at Best Buy grand opening in Edmonton so I got a smokin deal and it still works great (only thing i have ever lined up to purchase - only had 3 of them).
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Que the - We hate Bose and their overpriced crap that I could replace for 1/10 the price at speaker city.

I love my 10+1 system, I dont care what anyone says. I bought it at Best Buy grand opening in Edmonton so I got a smokin deal and it still works great (only thing i have ever lined up to purchase - only had 3 of them).
If you can snag anything Bose for a "smokin' deal", then you've done good. Not only because the stuff is admittedly pretty decent (well-designed, easy to use, small, aesthetically pleasing, good sound quality considering the size), but because the resale value from the first class marketing and big name recognition is extremely high. Sure, there are cheaper options with "better" sound reproduction on the market, but super high usability, popularity and aesthetics are at least as important as "subtle" sonic improvements for many many people. There's no reason to be ashamed of owning a Bose!

Getting back on topic...

The VideoWave System looks incredibly cool. I can see how appealing it would be to a ton of people. The price is somewhat staggering, however, and seeing how the LCD display isn't LED, isn't 3D-ready, doesn't have an ethernet connector, etc, it doesn't seem as future-proof as I would expect from a television well into the $5+ grand realm.

It will be an easy way for some well-off folks to bring a decent sounding and great looking home theater system into any room without any cords and hassles.

Last edited by OBCT; 01-13-2011 at 08:49 PM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Bose = Monster Cables of audio.

Any true audiophile will tell you that, as well as any high end audio dealer.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
tyler durden
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

Absolutely correct. Been riding their name for 30 years or so now.
tyler durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

I think the difference is that people like bose because it's simple. They're probably more akin to apple.

Sure you can get the same hardware cheaper, but people like the æsthetics and the ease of use (and setup).

Monster cable is just that, a cable, pretty hard to make that simpler than it already is.

Also, re: the OP, While that seems pretty slick, what happens if the tube goes on it? The problem with all-in-ones you can't swap the parts out if necessary and for the cost of that, I'd be reluctant.

Last edited by corporatejay; 01-13-2011 at 08:19 PM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they make you sit in the middle of the room, close your eyes, and listen while the indian danced around you?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Bose is only like Monster Cable if a Bose system sounds exactly the same as Dell computer speakers.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that some people love to hate Bose, and I'm not about to sit here wasting time changing your mind. I'm incredibly picky about sound, and agree that a lot of the Bose Lifestyle systems are overpriced and far under perform other systems that cost half the price, but, this VideoWave System is an exception. It's still far too expensive (for 6k you could buy a pretty amazing system), but the technology in terms of sound redirection and bass reproduction from a set of speakers behind the TV is without doubt a technological breakthrough.

As for Bose in general, their high end stuff is not 'Monster Cable'. The QC15 headphones are without doubt the best ones on the market, and this VideoWave system will be something that competitors try to match in the coming years. But, I understand the whole 'I've forgotten more about sound technology than Bose will ever learn in decades of research', it's an important image to keep up if you want to fit in with the interwebz cool kids. Sure must get tiring hating on brands like Apple and Bose 24/7 simply because they're too mainstream for you.

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 01-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Did they play you some music or video that they provided? It was likely designed just for that system, so of course it sounds good. If you are going to spend thousands, then hire a guy to install speaker wire and real speakers. Nothing beats an actual speaker actually sending the sound from wherever the sound should be coming from. Right now we commonly have 5 or 7 sound locations. In the future there will be more, as they will incorporate reflection on top of that (ie rain sounds bouncing off the ceiling).

My professionally installed (by me) DTS system is phenomenal, but to be honest, it is only phenomenal when playing at high volumes, like a theater. Most everything else runs through the center speaker. Sports run on the 7.1, but only football seems to even matter in surround.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

They always come out with decent quality, funky technology stuff but it rarely turn the heads of audiophiles. This looks interesting though
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The QC15 headphones are without doubt the best ones on the market...

Couldn't agree more, I have a pair and they are phenomenal. I also agree that they do make some junk, as the in-ear headphones I bought my wife can attest to.

Bose is like any other audio company, they have select products that are junk, and some that are awesome. You can't paint it simply one way or another.

Audiophiles are hobbyists like anyone else, and just as subject to irrational blanket snobbery. Just like Wine Snobs, Car Snobs, etc. They may laugh at my QC15 headphones, but I laugh at their $1,500 25w Vacuum Tube amp.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I laugh at their $1,500 25w Vacuum Tube amp.
Have you priced out tube amps? $1500 for a 25W tube amp is about right. Guitar amps routinely run that much.

The odd thing about audiophiles though is that they like tube amps for the warmth and tone they provide - which actually comes from the compression and distortion inherent in a hard working tube amp - taken to extremes, that's what provides a guitarist with the drive, crunch, and distortion that they cherish.

So in effect, audiophiles with high end tube gear are paying for a lower fidelity reproduction of their sound (but admittedly lower fidelity in a way that is pleasing to the ear, and one that is a very classic, vintage kind of sound)