Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2024, 12:18 AM   #3061
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Actually no. The Flames get the money directly from the season ticket holder. What happens after that is not really relevant to the Flames.

And on the secondary market, tickets are usually sold at below face value.
That’s just describing the function of the transaction, not the reality. The person sitting in the seat is the person who paid the to go to the game. It doesn’t matter if it passes through a season ticket holder. They paid for the game, and they’re the ones spending money AT the game.

It’s all a bit irrelevant anyways. Season ticket holder =/= hardcore fan. Especially when they’re selling a bunch of their tickets.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:57 AM   #3062
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s just describing the function of the transaction, not the reality. The person sitting in the seat is the person who paid the to go to the game. It doesn’t matter if it passes through a season ticket holder. They paid for the game, and they’re the ones spending money AT the game.

It’s all a bit irrelevant anyways. Season ticket holder =/= hardcore fan. Especially when they’re selling a bunch of their tickets.
But without the season ticket holder, that fan who has to buy tickets at a discount or get them for free wouldn’t be there. The season ticket revenue is what pays the majority of expenses, not the pizza slices.

And it not like most season ticket holders sell most of their tickets. I am a season ticket holder and I sell tickets occasionally, and always to CP’ers, and always at a discount. So, those aren’t casual fans sitting in those seats.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:21 AM   #3063
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boumsalot View Post
Drafting Iginla would be a huge ticket seller. I say we go all in and trade for the young stud no matter the price.
This is terrible asset management.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #3064
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You're right, it was a little ridiculous, but not for Calgary.

My spidey sense tells me you're not a Flames fan and would hate to see another Iginla crush your team.
Been watching the flames since 86?? Been on this site for years. Long enough to know your answers are usually a little more thoughtful and than this?

Why? Because a good playoff run in jr’s doesnt impress the hell out of me like it has some folks?
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:46 AM   #3065
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boumsalot View Post
Drafting Iginla would be a huge ticket seller. I say we go all in and trade for the young stud no matter the price.
If Iginla is still there at 9 and the Flames draft him, great. That will be cool.

But, I think this supposed idea that the Flames will see an immediate uptick in seasons tickets might not be the best thing for Iginla or the team. First of all, what if they send him back to Jr next year? What if he’s assigned to the Wranglers for a year after that? Is there going to be public outcry to rush Iginla into the Flames lineup? All these fans with their Iginla jerseys might start to get a little impatient, which ultimately shouldn’t matter but it will be heavily discussed here and on other forms of media, you can be sure.

Iginla is a 8-15 prospect. Most of those guys don’t crack the lineup in year one or even year two and it could be 3-4 before they hit their stride. He’s not Connor Bedard. If season ticket sales spike because the Flames draft Iginla, I think there’s likely to be some disappointed folks.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:46 AM   #3066
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
If Iginla is still there at 9 and the Flames draft him, great. That will be cool.

But, I think this supposed idea that the Flames will see an immediate uptick in seasons tickets might not be the best thing for Iginla or the team. First of all, what if they send him back to Jr next year? What if he’s assigned to the Wranglers for a year after that? Is there going to be public outcry to rush Iginla into the Flames lineup? All these fans with their Iginla jerseys might start to get a little impatient, which ultimately shouldn’t matter but it will be heavily discussed here and on other forms of media, you can be sure.

Iginla is a 8-15 prospect. Most of those guys don’t crack the lineup in year one or even year two and it could be 3-4 before they hit their stride. He’s not Connor Bedard. If season ticket sales spike because the Flames draft Iginla, I think there’s likely to be some disappointed folks.
Maybe, maybe not. Fans can be happy unhappy about a lot of things. It is always nice to hear different opinions. We will have to wait and see on this one.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:26 AM   #3067
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

He'll be barely 18 in training camp, safe to say he will be going back to Kelowna.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:45 AM   #3068
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

So say the Flames end up in a position to draft Buium. Strong chance he plays the year at University of Denver, but you need to sign him at the end of the season, burn a year of the ELC, and you have him on that for two years. If it's say Parehk or Dickenson, they play the year in junior and might make the Flames the year their ELC starts. Ideally the junior players work better for a 3-5 year rebuild to get multiple contributors on ELC at the same time. But ultimately you need the best talent and by the time the team is good you'll be paying it.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:57 AM   #3069
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance Buium or Parekh end up as good as Makar?

Both their offensive numbers pre draft look very promising
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 11:00 AM   #3070
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Makar is generational and probably will go down as one of the top dmen of all time
So probably not
But if you get someone 60 percent as good it’s a home run
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 11:02 AM   #3071
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Possibly, I mean I actually think Parekh could end up being the best offensive D man in the NHL in his prime if he hits his ceiling. I don't think people fully grasp what he did as a 17 year old in the OHL.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 11:04 AM   #3072
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parehk is as offensively gifted as Makar was at this age, honestly even more so.
But his defensive game isn’t as strong. Mind you if you want Parehk you know what you’re getting and why you want him and that’s his unmatched numbers as a 16 and 17 year old in the OHL.

Buium is more 2 way, not as fast or as dominant on the rush but definitely has the ability to generate offence on his own.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 11:17 AM   #3073
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day, many of the possible Flames have large ceilings. The trick is picking which one(s) will keep developing.

There is obviously a lot of luck in figuring that out, or there would be more consensus in the draft and less failed high picks.

I think that’s many many here are banging the Iggy drum.

Bloodlines do matter. They hope he has a better chance to keep developing, much like the Tkachuks have done.

Time will tell on that one.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft