Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #4281
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
There's thousands of stories just like this

http://www.localdvm.com/news/father-...uder/207153259

What I don’t get is how often do people actually have intruders in their house? It seems exceedingly rare here, just the odd report of a home invasion. I guess some domestic disputes qualify, but does the average person have really anything to fear from a stranger in their home? I get that there are places way more dangerous than SW Calgary but it this fear really justified seemingly all across the US?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #4282
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s so unbelievable to me that the GOP just constantly outright ignores the will of the people and the people still vote for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #4283
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It’s so unbelievable to me that the GOP just constantly outright ignores the will of the people and the people still vote for them.
It's again back to their religiosity. Their parties are like religions and they won't let facts get between them and who they already decided they'd vote for before they even looked at any of the issues and how the parties line up on them.

I've voted conservative, liberal and I would definitely vote NDP provincially if there was an election tomorrow. I'm not loyal to any one party and I think most non-religious people would say the same. We vote rationally.

Christians tend to vote conservative here and republican in the states. It's super dumb.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #4284
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're insane if you think that non-religious people don't treat their politics like a religion. It's more or less exactly like that for a significant chunk of people. It serves the same psycho-social purpose.

http://goddoesnt.blogspot.ca/2016/01...egressive.html
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #4285
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You're insane if you think that non-religious people don't treat their politics like a religion. It's more or less exactly like that for a significant chunk of people. It serves the same psycho-social purpose.

http://goddoesnt.blogspot.ca/2016/01...egressive.html
Okay I read a bunch of that article and never got to the part that supported what you're saying. I'm sure it's there as I know you're thorough, but maybe give me a paragraph number or quote the relevant passage.

Definitely some people are going to vote for the same party no matter what regardless of the issues, but I think religious people are more inclined to do so based on what I've seen around me. I don't have an article to support that, so straight up, I'm just speculating. Areligious people are definitely more free to think and change their minds when confronted with new evidence, though (compared to religious people).

It would be cool to know of the people that voted NDP in 2015 and another party in previous elections, how many were religious and how many were not. NDP won in 2015 and had less than 10% of votes in the prior election, so a lot of people voted against any prior party allegiance. I thing non-religious people would have made up a higher percentage of converted voters over religious people, who I think would have been more likely to vote conservative. I have no idea where I'd even look if I wanted to back that up with evidence.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #4286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lets hope that if for example Florida passes a law to arm teachers that all of the teachers refuse and walk out.

Just a stupid stupid idea.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #4287
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Just arm the students. Problem solved.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:42 PM   #4288
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lets hope that if for example Florida passes a law to arm teachers that all of the teachers refuse and walk out.
It's Florida...
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #4289
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

MEC has announced they are no longer going to order Vista Outdoor brand products. They will however sell through the stock they still have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #4290
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give those poor kids a pat on the back. They gained some traction and even if not completely meaningful change, they have managed some reform at the market level. Have to see how far this goes.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #4291
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I guess the red necks are probably fine boycotting Dick's. Field and Stream will probably be a little tougher, but I'm sure they can find alternative stores. But they are going to be pretty lost trying to boycott Walmart!
Old 03-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #4292
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
MEC has announced they are no longer going to order Vista Outdoor brand products. They will however sell through the stock they still have.
Probably a logical response for MEC, it really doesn't cost them anything since they can sell their current inventory. Gotta admit I am a little on the fence on this particular one however.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #4293
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm, this whole MEC thing is a little puzzling I guess.

One company that owns about 100 brands is now boycotted due to one of their divisions making firearms.

It's funny though, every article that mentions Vista Outdoors says that their Savage Arms brand sells AR-15 style rifles and ammunition. That's pretty ignorant of the fact that almost all Savage rifles are bolt-action hunting or precision rifles, but they've keyed in on the fact that they also make one AR-15 style rifle. So all of their brands need to be boycotted.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #4294
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Hmmm, this whole MEC thing is a little puzzling I guess.

One company that owns about 100 brands is now boycotted due to one of their divisions making firearms.

It's funny though, every article that mentions Vista Outdoors says that their Savage Arms brand sells AR-15 style rifles and ammunition. That's pretty ignorant of the fact that almost all Savage rifles are bolt-action hunting or precision rifles, but they've keyed in on the fact that they also make one AR-15 style rifle. So all of their brands need to be boycotted.
It makes perfect sense, they are playing the PR game and responding to the current political/social media climate. Probably will result in a short term bump in sales, but they need to find a way to make up the revenues from the discontinued lines and the customers they will lose in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
So, I guess the red necks are probably fine boycotting Dick's. Field and Stream will probably be a little tougher, but I'm sure they can find alternative stores. But they are going to be pretty lost trying to boycott Walmart!
Dick's and Field & Stream were already in trouble before this. It seems more like trading on current emotions that an actual altruistic policy shift, especially when you consider the move they made after Sandy Hook. Walmart has most likely already taken their lumps, they stopped selling semi-autos and ARs back in 2015 and don’t sell handguns or magazines.

And "rednecks"? Really? People consistently looking down their nose at others or trying to assert some moral high ground based on their personal interests is part of the reason why you can't have an actual conversation about these issues.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 03-01-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #4295
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Gotta admit I am a little on the fence on this particular one however.
I'm not. It was an asinine decision by the CEO. They mentioned how they need to take into account all 5+ million members, and go on to say how a few thousand wrote in on social media. It's a vocal (extreme) minority being appeased.

It's not like MEC is carrying Savage, and as Envitro said, Savage is primarily a hunting company.

Let consumers vote with their wallet. If Camelback and Jimmy Styx sales plummet, drop them as brands. But to boycott from a retailer level in this day and age where a handful of companies own most brands is stupid.

I have a hard time believing that the people complaining wouldn't shop at a store that carries the same brand if they found a cheaper price.

I also find it amusing that MEC is likely barely a blip on the radar for Vista, and it seems like a pretty futile stand.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #4296
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I'm not. It was an asinine decision by the CEO. They mentioned how they need to take into account all 5+ million members, and go on to say how a few thousand wrote in on social media. It's a vocal (extreme) minority being appeased.

Let consumers vote with their wallet.
That hasn't changed. Consumers (and you) can still vote with their wallet. Don't buy from MEC. Especially in this day and age of online shopping with shipping directly to your door if you are so inclined.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #4297
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

And "rednecks"? Really? People consistently looking down their nose at others or trying to assert some moral high ground based on their personal interests is part of the reason why you can't have an actual conversation about these issues.
There's no reasoning or having an intelligent conversation with someone who is boycotting Dick's for this sensible policy.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #4298
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
There's no reasoning or having an intelligent conversation with someone who is boycotting Dick's for this sensible policy.
Just like you could say the same for someone who thinks MEC shouldn’t sell a pair of Bolle ski goggle or a Giro helmet because those brands are owned by the same parent corporation that also owns a company that makes ammunition?

Why is it just MEC and Vista? Where are all the people who are demanding that camera stores stop carrying Nikon products?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #4299
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/b...red-meyer.html

Quote:
The Kroger Company will stop selling guns to customers under the age of 21, the grocery store chain said Thursday, joining two other major retailers who have raised age limits after last month’s school shooting in Florida.

Kroger sells guns at 43 of its 133 Fred Meyer locations in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. It said that, in those stores, customers would not be able to buy either guns or ammunition until undergoing a background check that would verify their age.
Quote:
The company had already stopped selling assault-style rifles at Fred Meyer locations in Idaho, Oregon and Washington several years ago, and said it would no longer sell assault-style rifles in Alaska or accept any special orders of those guns in the state. It said that it could make the changes immediately. The Wall Street Journal reported the chain’s decision Thursday.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #4300
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Kroger Company will stop selling guns to customers under the age of 21, the grocery store chain said Thursday, joining two other major retailers who have raised age limits after last month’s school shooting in Florida.
what the? grocery stores! what's next? banks requiring that a person be 21 to receive a free gun when opening an account? Tire places requiring a person be 21 to receive a free gun when getting new tires?
what a crazy world.