Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2024, 11:52 AM   #1941
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
What’s our record post TDL? If this is what the team will kind of look like next season, I’m curious to where to expect this team to finish

I’m guessing we have been a bottom 3 team since.

This won't be the final roster for game 1 next year. Add to that the total deflation of the trade deadline and it's to be expected that their play falls off a cliff.

Might be hard for the players to clean out their lockers early but I also think they fully understand the way things went down this year as well.

I'm excited for the offseason.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #1942
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No, he is just pointing out that maybe there was some overhyping of Iginla after he has a huge series against a really weak team. I like Iginla a lot but suddenly people were talking about him like he was a top 5 prospect in this draft. Unless the Flames reach for him I don't see him getting picked in the top 10.
After 2 I think it's wide open. MTL has been all over Iginla so it's possible he goes really high.

Its going to be one of the wilder drafts I think, swings everywhere.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:03 PM   #1943
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Latest dailyfaceoff rankings from 3 days ago still have Iginla outside top 10 at #11

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/20...ionship-top-75
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #1944
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Seems like you purposely & strategically worded your analysis to shoot down Tij.

Interesting.

Well I'm a flames fan first but also a rockets fan so I would never kick sand on the kid for the sake of it and if the flames take him it would be great for me personally as my kids love watching him already too.

But I think he wasa bit overhyped after his first playoff round against an average at best team a bit in light of how easily pg has shut him down. he is a 17 year old kid and still an exceptional player - 9-13 range is where i see him but I think talk of him in the top 5 and picking him over anyone other than celebrini is a bit much.

I was hoping he would show better this round against top whl defenders. Wenatchee has basically 2 dmen who can defend. He will probably still be a great nhler and I am hoping when they bring the series back here this week he will step up
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:28 PM   #1945
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
After 2 I think it's wide open. MTL has been all over Iginla so it's possible he goes really high.

Its going to be one of the wilder drafts I think, swings everywhere.
There is a difference between Montreal being all over Iginla and their fan base. Their fan base was all over Michkov last year too, it was a slam dunk they were drafting him. Except they didn't. One or possibly all of Lindstrom, Catton, Eiserman, and even possibly Demidov if he falls are going to be there at their pick, all are consistently rated higher than Tij.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 01:51 PM   #1946
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It’s possible but I wouldn’t put money on it. Some really good defensmen and centers amongst the top 10 which are higher value positions. It only takes one team though to fall in love with a player.
Who?

I have brought this up many times but the only pure center is Celebrini and Catton.

Demidov - plays mostly RW
Helenius - plays mostly RW
Lindstrom - He was moved to wing in the playoffs after he was terrible in the first game, I've mentioned it many times, he lacks the vision to play center in the NHL, every scout should know this.

The next pure centers are Hage and Boisvert, who would take them over Iginla?

Simple math tells me that both 5 forwards and 5 defenseman will not be taken over Iginla.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:05 PM   #1947
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Lindstrom - He was moved to wing in the playoffs after he was terrible in the first game, I've mentioned it many times, he lacks the vision to play center in the NHL, every scout should know this.
Uh, no he wasn't. Where are you getting this from?

His is/was the Tigers best center (and face off guy) and when he went down with injury they struggled mightily in the second half even with McKenna putting up 2 points per game.

This is why people need to take what they read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Lindstrom was NOT moved to the wing lmao

He was also playing hurt in the playoffs, if it wasn't the playoffs he wouldn't have come back when he did. He even missed game 3 after taking the warm up.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:19 PM   #1948
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Uh, no he wasn't. Where are you getting this from?

His is/was the Tigers best center (and face off guy) and when he went down with injury they struggled mightily in the second half even with McKenna putting up 2 points per game.

This is why people need to take what they read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Lindstrom was NOT moved to the wing lmao

He was also playing hurt in the playoffs, if it wasn't the playoffs he wouldn't have come back when he did. He even missed game 3 after taking the warm up.
My mistake, I was told he played on the wing after game 1, and I don't get all my information on players by reading about them online.

My question to you is, will Lindstrom be an NHL center in your mind?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:31 PM   #1949
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
My mistake, I was told he played on the wing after game 1, and I don't get all my information on players by reading about them online.

My question to you is, will Lindstrom be an NHL center in your mind?
If he can stay healthy I think he will. Chronic back issues at 17 is not a great sign of long term health though. Teams better be doing their homework on that before spending a premium pick on him.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:54 PM   #1950
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’ll know the draft lottery is rigged when Garry gifts it to Salt Lake to boost those sales.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 02:57 PM   #1951
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Michael Hage seems like a player who may go earlier than anticipated.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 03:05 PM   #1952
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Michael Hage seems like a player who may go earlier than anticipated.
Hage has caught up to Trevor Connelly in USHL scoring, and is a center. I would be comfortable taking him top-12.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 08:52 PM   #1953
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandman's Pre-U18 Draft List:

1. C Mack Celebrini
2. RW Ivan Demidov
3. D Artyom Levshunov
4. D Sam Dickinson
5. C Berkly Catton
6. D Zeev Buium
7. C Cayden Lindstrom
8. D Zayne Parekh
9. C Konsta Helenius
10. LW Tij Iginla
11. D Carter Yakemchuk
12. C Cole Eiserman
13. C Michael Hage
14. D Anton Silayev
15. RW Liam Greentree
16. LW Trevor Connelly
17. LW Igor Chernyshov
18. RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
19. RW Yegor Surin
20. D Adam Jiricek
21. RW Matvei Gridin
22. C Sacha Boisvert
23. RW Emil Hemming
24. RW Terik Parascak
25. RW Maxim Masse'
26. RW Ryder Ritchie
27. D Aron Kiviharju
28. LW Andrew Basha
29. RW Beckett Sennecke
30. D Henry Mews
31. LW Tanner Howe
32. D Leo Sahlin Wellenius

33. LW Nikita Artamonov
34. D Jesse Pulkkinen
35. C Lucas Pettersson
36. C Cole Beaudoin
37. D Lukas Fischer
38. LW Marek Vanacker
39. RW Miguel Marques
40. C Dean Letourneau
41. D Charlie Elick
42. RW Melvin Fernstrom
43. C Simon Zether
44. D Cole Hutson
45. C Julius Miettinen
46. D Spencer Gill
47. D Dominik Badinka
48. C Raoul Boilard
49. D Luca Marrelli
50. C Christian Humphreys
51. D Colton Roberts
52. C Luke Misa
53. D Alfons Freij
54. C Linus Eriksson
55. D Daniil Ustinkov
56. D Veeti Vaisanen
57. D Stian Solberg
58. D EJ Emery
59. D Tarin Smith
60. RW Jacob Battaglia
61. D Harrison Brunicke
62. LW John Mustard
63. C Kamil Bednarik
64. D Will Skahan

Last edited by Sandman; 04-15-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:15 PM   #1954
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s interesting how thin this draft is on centermen. I count only 7 in the top 32 of Sandman’s rankings. And it’s common for guys drafted as centres to end up shifting to wing in the NHL (if they make it at all), so there’s a likely possibility the first round of this draft only produces 2-3 NHL centremen with Celebrini being one of them. It’s possible he’s the only sure bet to be a centre at the NHL level.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 10:39 PM   #1955
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Sandman's Pre-U18 Draft List:
24. RW Terik Parascak

38. LW Marek Vanacker

56. C Luke Misa
I am curious about these three guys.

Parascak seems like a guy who should be increasing his notoriety, but he didn't move too much up here.

Vanacker is a player that you said you are really high on, but you also have him ranked a bit lower than other scouting services so. Some have him as a late 1st rounder.

Luca Misa is a guy many have in the early 2nd round, but you have him much later.

Do you see some major holes in the games?
Old 04-14-2024, 10:54 PM   #1956
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am curious about these three guys.

Parascak seems like a guy who should be increasing his notoriety, but he didn't move too much up here.

Vanacker is a player that you said you are really high on, but you also have him ranked a bit lower than other scouting services so. Some have him as a late 1st rounder.

Luca Misa is a guy many have in the early 2nd round, but you have him much later.

Do you see some major holes in the games?
It's more that I like other players more, or that I see other players being taken ahead. I'm not that high on Parascak, as I don't like his size/skating, and I see Vanacker right at the beginning of the second. Misa I have a little lower because of size/lack of physicality. (I moved him up to #50, btw)

Last edited by Sandman; 04-14-2024 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:02 PM   #1957
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It’s interesting how thin this draft is on centermen. I count only 7 in the top 32 of Sandman’s rankings. And it’s common for guys drafted as centres to end up shifting to wing in the NHL (if they make it at all), so there’s a likely possibility the first round of this draft only produces 2-3 NHL centremen with Celebrini being one of them. It’s possible he’s the only sure bet to be a centre at the NHL level.
Linus Eriksson, Cole Beaudoin, and Dean Letourneau could easily sneak into the first, as well.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:38 PM   #1958
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Linus Eriksson, Cole Beaudoin, and Dean Letourneau could easily sneak into the first, as well.
Is Letourneau a Tage Thompson-lite?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:51 PM   #1959
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Is Letourneau a Tage Thompson-lite?
I think he's a bit overrated, more like a Colbourne-lite. Just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 02:10 AM   #1960
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Original Sin Edition):

For any good team to function correctly, you need a certain amount of guys who can fold the pastries, but you also need guys who can grill the steaks. If that's an acceptable analogy, then hand LW Lauri Sinivuori the barbecue sauce. Sinivuori does most of the heavy lifting for any line he happens to be on, such as battling in the hard areas for pucks, standing in front of the net and absorbing abuse, playing good D, and getting his teammates the puck in the middle of the ice. The 6'1",179lb winger played mostly for HIFK U20 this season, finishing at 25 points in 34 games, with 28 penalty minutes, and the reason for the lacklustre numbers might have a little to do with the fact that his team lanquished near the bottom of the league, missing the playoffs and posting low scoring numbers. He was tied for 3rd in scoring for Finland at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup though, with 3 points in 5 games, which was unfortunately another low-scoring team. Sinivuori plays a solid all-around game, and his coaches trust him in all situations.

Sinivuori showcases above-average IQ, awareness, and vision. He skates with his head up to map out his surroundings and choose his next move- he's primarily a playmaker, with a soft touch in his passing. There's a bit of power in his game, and he will drive the net to cause havok, but also to find open lanes to be ready for high-danger passes. He leans into defenders while cutting to the slot, and has fairly good hands to deke out goalies, get tips, and pounce on rebounds. Those hands are quick and skilled when it comes to puckhandling, with a fine touch for passing, but he usually keeps it simple- he doesn't hold on to the puck for too long though, instead relying mostly on quick touches. In transition, he defers mostly to his teammates to do the carrying, but he'll help out with give-and-go's. His wrister comes with good power, but he's not a huge threat to score, as he only potted 10 goals in the U20 this season. He plays aggressive, throwing big hits, and employing a grinding, physical game. He forechecks like a demon, and his tenacity and physical game helps to dislodge pucks- he has an unrelenting motor, and shows compete. Sinivuori is an excellent skater, with good agility and edgework to stop and start on a dime. He accelerates quickly, and augments his mobility by keeping his legs pumping hard with long, powerful strides to push pace, and win races to loose pucks.

Sinivuori's defensive acumen might be the biggest part of his game, and he can be a pure shut-down winger who gets deployed against other teams' top scorers, or he can be a glue-guy on a scoring line who handles the gritty stuff. He is blessed with good defensive IQ and awareness, and knows what opponents are going to do before they do it, giving him the ability to act proactively. He excels on the PK, puts his body on the line by blocking shots, and has the speed to close on attackers quickly, stripping them of the puck. He employs an active stick for poke-checks, and brings his physicality with him to the defensive zone, throwing hits to separate his man from the puck. It's hard to tell how Sinivuori's offense will develop, or how it will translate, but it's a good bet that he'll be a future bottom-6 winger who checks, kills penalties, and chips in a little offense here and there. Look for him in the 5th, or 6th round.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft