Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2024, 10:16 AM   #1921
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance the Flames drafted player will play in the opening roster next season? That would make next season a bit more fun.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:17 AM   #1922
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Any chance the Flames drafted player will play in the opening roster next season? That would make next season a bit more fun.
Yes when we win the lottery

But honestly there’s a handful that look ready, though probably not there at 8+

The one knock on Yakemchuk when compared to Buium or Parehk for me is his skating is not as good. He’s a bigger guy so a longer stride but he takes a long time to get up to speed.

Offensively both Buium and Parehk just tick more boxes for me personally.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 04:45 PM   #1923
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

The one knock on Yakemchuk when compared to Buium or Parehk for me is his skating is not as good. He’s a bigger guy so a longer stride but he takes a long time to get up to speed.

I would agree with all of this, but I still say, I think Yakemchuk has pretty good top speed. Just needs more explosiveness.
Like you said, it's the acceleration/agility that needs work.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:52 PM   #1924
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Yakemchuk is probably the hardest pass for me of the top-10. Wherever we pick, he is not the best player available.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:56 PM   #1925
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Yakemchuk is probably the hardest pass for me of the top-10. Wherever we pick, he is not the best player available.
I think he'll be a perfectly cromulent pick somewhere in the earlier teens.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:27 PM   #1926
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today’s secret word is…….cromulent.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:29 PM   #1927
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Today’s secret word is…….cromulent.
‘Cromulent’ is one of my favourite words, because even if you don't know it, it's obvious what it means. You can glark the meaning from context.

‘Glark’ is another of my favourite words, for the exact same reason.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:32 PM   #1928
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
‘Cromulent’ is one of my favourite words, because even if you don't know it, it's obvious what it means. You can glark the meaning from context.

Our own Susie Dent.

Few will get the references but you do not f w Susie Dent.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 06:25 PM   #1929
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

Those words certainly embiggen whatever sentence they're in.
Ba'alzamon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:09 PM   #1930
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Iginla is a ghost in round 2 so far against a good team so far (as are the other rockets stars). beating up on a bad wenatchee team hasn't carried over yet.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:26 PM   #1931
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Iginla is a ghost in round 2 so far against a good team so far (as are the other rockets stars). beating up on a bad wenatchee team hasn't carried over yet.
Prince George isn't just good, they lost 15 games all year and are 6-0 in the playoffs so far, the kid isn't superman.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:57 PM   #1932
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Seems like you purposely & strategically worded your analysis to shoot down Tij.

Interesting.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:31 AM   #1933
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m starting to get a gut feeling that Arizona/utah takes Iginla. Immediate name recognition for a new fanbase, Doan will have a good book on him from his relationship with Jarome. Fits a role they don’t really have right now imo
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:09 AM   #1934
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Under the Radar Edition):

Have you heard about C/LW Alexandre Blais of the Rimouski Oceanic? Most people haven't, and that's a shame, because he really deserves the attention. Blais was 6th overall in QMJHL scoring, and was the top-scorer in the league for first-time draft-eligibles, with 84 points (24 goals) in 68 games, and finished 2nd in the Q for assists, with 60. He is the main focus of Rimouski's offense, and also the main focus of every opposing team's checkers every night, leading his team in scoring by 21 points. The Oceanic were recently eliminated from the playoffs in five games by the Cape Breton Eagles, but Blais led the team in scoring, with 6 points in 5 games. The only reason I can think of to explain his anonymity is his size, as he's only 5'10",154lbs.

This is the kind of player that you might describe by saying that "the puck seems to follow him around". Blais is a dynamic playmaker, with a highly intelligent passing game, and can sniff out gaps in coverage to operate in. His vision and IQ are second to none, and he makes good, quick decisions under pressure, while problem-solving on the fly. If he can't outsmart you, he'll beat you with speed, as he's close to elite in the skating department. He has the kind of explosiveness and acceleration to back off checkers, and overwhelm defensemen- he can beat opponents wide, and is hard to stop with the way he pushes pace. He's also shifty with good edges, and has the agility to stop and start on a dime- he doesn't need to make wide turns. Blais' brilliant passing is peppered with layers of deception which, when combined with his speed, help him to pick apart defenses. He employs every little fake, deke, look-off, and feint, along with changes in speed and direction, to manipulate defenders into giving up lanes. Often, he will delay and rag the puck until the right play comes along. He possesses magnificent puck-protection, with smooth handling, and will fearlessly cut inside to the middle- he can create off the wall, as well as off the rush, and skates with his head up to scan his surroundings.

Blais is patient and poised with the puck, and makes pinpoint, accurate passes of the saucer or backhand variety through bodies, over sticks, and between feet. He will draw attackers, and wait until the last second to make the pass in order to win more open space and time for the teammate who recieves it. He has a soft touch, and will dish right to his teammates blade, with the right amount of velocity, just out of the reach of opponents' sticks. He's not a big shooter, but has added a nice shot and release to his arsenal after only scoring 7 goals in 2022-23, and displays a wicked drag-and-release wrister- he will also crash the net looking for second-chance opportunities. Off the puck, he takes good routes, and attacks open space as soon as he makes a pass to be ready for the next play. Despite his diminutive stature, he fights hard for loose pucks, and shows competitiveness and high-motor. There's some push-back in his game, as his 40 penalty-minutes would attest, and he carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder- which he may need in order to survive. On the forecheck, he's industrious, and turns pucks over aplenty which he then converts into scoring chances.

Though he's perhaps not a stalwart, he makes himself useful in the defensive zone with hard work and the speed to close fast on puck-carriers. He's disruptive with his stick, and has the smarts and anticipation to break up plays, but his lack of size and strength hurts him in the physicality department, as he can be overpowered and pushed around. With the high number of passes he makes, a certain percentage don't work out, which is to be expected, but he needs to cut down on errors for the next level, and will need to make quicker decisions when he turns pro, without high-end flashiness. He sometimes tries to do too much on his own, and can lose the puck when deking, or overhandle it in possession. The biggest detriment to his game is his lack of size and physicality, and it's really the only glaring weakness. Look for him in the third round.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-14-2024 at 03:12 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 06:46 AM   #1935
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Seems like you purposely & strategically worded your analysis to shoot down Tij.

Interesting.
No, he is just pointing out that maybe there was some overhyping of Iginla after he has a huge series against a really weak team. I like Iginla a lot but suddenly people were talking about him like he was a top 5 prospect in this draft. Unless the Flames reach for him I don't see him getting picked in the top 10.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #1936
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla will go top 10 to someone and it won't be a reach
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:52 AM   #1937
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s our record post TDL? If this is what the team will kind of look like next season, I’m curious to where to expect this team to finish

I’m guessing we have been a bottom 3 team since.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #1938
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I don't think he will.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #1939
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
What’s our record post TDL? If this is what the team will kind of look like next season, I’m curious to where to expect this team to finish

I’m guessing we have been a bottom 3 team since.
4th worst points % since trading Tanev, basically tied with Columbus for third worst.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:25 AM   #1940
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It’s possible but I wouldn’t put money on it. Some really good defensmen and centers amongst the top 10 which are higher value positions. It only takes one team though to fall in love with a player.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft