Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #141
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I switched me and my wife to Telus. Bear in mind we have home internet, home security and TV with them. So there was rebates galore.

2 lines with 25GB unlimited each.

1 landline, since it was $2.50 per month LOL. I've always wanted an actual payphone in my basement, and this is apparently a thing you can buy now. A refurbished but nicely banged up pay phone.... so this satisfies that ridiculous idea.

The whole bill comes to $132/mth.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #142
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm is bundling all your services with one provider a good idea given what just happened?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #143
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lawyer ends the interview once reporters starts asking about the monopoly Rogers is moving towards

https://twitter.com/user/status/1545769754660519937
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 AM   #144
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

We know it, they know it...everyone knows it.

And yet here we are.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #145
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
The CRTC does a decent job, especially compared to the FCC.

Market competitiveness;
* Multiple new entrant low cost frequency bid options
* MTS sale, a forced split

Ensured Revenue
* Stone-walling the option for carriers to transition to Trusts

Consumer protections
* Removing the 3rd year, as a device amortization option
* Forced shared carrier roaming
* Mitigating data consumption, and roaming overages
* Clear & concise billing
* All devices to be Unlocked

And a couple more aged examples;
* Wireless Number Portability
* Foreborne vs regulated pricing, (CLEC vs ILEC)
Didn't reply originally because I knew this was coming.

Quote:
Xplore Mobile Inc. will be shutting down at the end of August.

The wireless carrier, which provides service to customers in Manitoba, will cease operations on Aug. 31, according to a company statement.

Xplore Mobile was created when BCE Inc. announced that it would acquire Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. in 2016 for $3.9 billion and was told by the Competition Bureau in 2017 that it would have to “sell assets and provide services” to New Brunswick-based rural internet provider Xplornet Communications Inc. as a condition of the deal closing.
https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/07/15/xpl...source=twitter

Aren't we glad the CRTC mandates sell offs to encourage competition and then those companies literally don't actually do anything and in the end its just an even bigger monopoly?
Old 07-16-2022, 07:55 AM   #146
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waterloo region had anorher full day outrage yesterday.
I need very good internet service for business and it irks me to no end that I am stuck with either Rogers or Bell.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #147
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That’s almost exactly 1/30 of my bill (for a $43/mo plan). I guess they’re going with the bare minimum.
Or as Rogers calls it, Tuesday!
Old 07-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #148
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Waterloo region had anorher full day outrage yesterday.
I need very good internet service for business and it irks me to no end that I am stuck with either Rogers or Bell.
Or you can use one of the independent companies.. that all happen to run off the Rogers or Bell infrastructure. Just no escape.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 10:15 AM   #149
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Didn't reply originally because I knew this was coming.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/07/15/xpl...source=twitter

Aren't we glad the CRTC mandates sell offs to encourage competition and then those companies literally don't actually do anything and in the end its just an even bigger monopoly?
Yeah that’s a valid point. The MTS sale did result in further consolidation, to the big3.

How should the CRTC, promote new entrants into the telecom space?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #150
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Or you can use one of the independent companies.. that all happen to run off the Rogers or Bell infrastructure. Just no escape.
Starlink is the answer. I know 4 people using it now in Alberta and the love it. One guy is going to the dish on his RV.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #151
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that’s a valid point. The MTS sale did result in further consolidation, to the big3.

How should the CRTC, promote new entrants into the telecom space?
Easy.

Allow foreign owned telecoms to operate in Canada.

Mandate that MNVO's can exist and work on the backbone of the carriers. If they carriers want to be idiots about it, set pricing guidelines.

Remember when Verizon was rumored to come to Canada and the big 3 literally threw a ####fit? They are doing that because they know if Canada would change the laws, and Verizon or whoever else would start up in Canada, it would force the prices down.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #152
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Easy.

Allow foreign owned telecoms to operate in Canada.

Mandate that MNVO's can exist and work on the backbone of the carriers. If they carriers want to be idiots about it, set pricing guidelines.

Remember when Verizon was rumored to come to Canada and the big 3 literally threw a ####fit? They are doing that because they know if Canada would change the laws, and Verizon or whoever else would start up in Canada, it would force the prices down.
Yep I recall the Verizon rumours, they were never serious. (in fairness, the big3 will contest anything to the CRTC, that may affect their bottom-line)

But I contrast that thought with Wind's Sewani, and him being labelled a security threat on the MTS bid. So I agree on Foreign investment should be easier, in the same vein the Chinese did with Nexen.

Yep, I'm for MVNO's... they'll help foster an aggressive/competitive market, for the low-value product/service segment.

It's net-new network builds, that I'm an advocate for, and not the re-leasing of core networks, and then having another entrant sell the last mile.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #153
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But I contrast that thought with Wind's Sewani, and him being labelled a security threat on the MTS bid. So I agree on Foreign investment should be easier, in the same vein the Chinese did with Nexen.
I’m not sure the Chinese investments in Nexen should be seen as a positive for foreign investment.

A lot of those jobs, and pretty much any high profile ones, live in China now or with Chinese employees working in Canada.

Also if Verizon or another major American provider try to come into Canada it’s going to be via trying to buy one of the Big 3, not from building their own networks and infrastructure from the ground up.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:37 PM   #154
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I’m not sure the Chinese investments in Nexen should be seen as a positive for foreign investment.

A lot of those jobs, and pretty much any high profile ones, live in China now or with Chinese employees working in Canada.

Also if Verizon or another major American provider try to come into Canada it’s going to be via trying to buy one of the Big 3, not from building their own networks and infrastructure from the ground up.
I'm saying scrutinize the foreign investors, but it's hypocritical if the most sus foreign monies are allowed into Oil patch, but not Telecom.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #155
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think the fact that we do not allow foreign money in our telecom industry is a great example of the hold that the big 3 has on the CRTC & government.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #156
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Starlink is the answer. I know 4 people using it now in Alberta and the love it. One guy is going to the dish on his RV.
I mean sure - but unless you live in the boonies its more expensive and slower than Rogers or Bell. Its not a real alternative in the city.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #157
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I mean sure - but unless you live in the boonies its more expensive and slower than Rogers or Bell. Its not a real alternative in the city.
Starlink's target market isn't going to be to replacing metro customers either. The satellites at their peak constellation will never be able to compete against wireline internet on a cost or bandwidth basis. Sats won't have that capacity.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #158
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mint Mobile!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #159
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Mint Mobile!
Them - plus any other MVNO would just work off the big 3 infrastructure. They can add some cost competition but they can only go so low. So if Rogers goes down and your MVNO uses Rogers infrastructure - they would go down as well. You need a 4th 'real' carrier like Wind/Freedom, SaskTel with actual infrastructure to really impact prices.

Freedom is owned by Shaw but they're required to sell it as part of this merger. Quebecor is the buyer at this moment - who knows how much they are willing to invest to become a real competitor.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:15 PM   #160
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Someone a lot smarter than me when it comes to networking would understand this better, but from what I read about the Rogers issue is that it was an internal network error. If you had a MNVO with access to Rogers towers, but they could separate the network, would the MNVO still go down? It wasn't like the equipment was actually damaged.

I guess it depends how the network is setup.

Our company has our own private network in Manitoba (we own fiber in the ground, or have agreements in place with other fiber transit), and all of it runs back to 360 Portage where we connect to different backbone providers. We never actually RUN on the Bell Network, but they are one of our backbone providers. So now I'm wondering if Bell went down in a similar fashion to how Rogers went down if we would be affected.

My understanding is that the internal Rogers networks got messed up, but companies that just bought transit on Rogers infrastructure were fine.