Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #2121
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default Federal Election Called for Oct 19, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Crap? Looking at the pic, is there anything in there that is not true? I suggest you look into it, those quotes are accurate.

Hey, just because your safe on the beach surferguy, it does not mean that others are safe. It depends on your environment, i don;t need to be as worried about sharks as you do...

In terms of terrorist acts, you really only see the tip of the iceburg.

Last edited by Looch City; 09-23-2015 at 11:56 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #2122
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Crap? Looking at the pic, is there anything in there that is not true? I suggest you look into it, those quotes are accurate.

Hey, just because your safe on the beach surferguy, it does not mean that others are safe. It depends on your environment, i don;t need to be as worried about sharks as you do...

Where do you live, or what do you do that makes you unsafe as it relates to ISIS?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #2123
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

Would you care to elaborate on this? What exactly are you referring to?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #2124
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post

At first, I really thought Trudeau was hopeless as a candidate for PM. I still see him as the weakest of the 3 but the simple truth is we don't have a presidential system in Canada, and the leader simply isn't as important here as he is in the US. The party is more important than its leader, and that's particularly true with the Liberals where Trudeau is likely less responsible for setting policy and direction.
I would argue a Canadian Prime Minister wields much more governing authority than a US President.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...too-much-power
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doodlebug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #2125
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Things are looking grim for Harper if he wins a minority...

Quote:
Tom Mulcair has joined Justin Trudeau in ruling out any circumstances in which his party might help prop up Stephen Harper if Conservatives are re-elected but with only a minority of seats.

"There isn't a snowball's chance in hell," Mulcair said Wednesday.

"I think that anybody who's attended a single question period over the course of the last several years would be able to tell you that there's no likelihood that the NDP would, under any circumstance, be able to support Mr. Harper."
Quote:
"There are no circumstances in which I would support Stephen Harper to continue being prime minister of this country," Trudeau said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...ders-1.3238875

I'll be most likely voting Liberal, but I'd be good with either NDP or Liberal minority. Atleast there's some common ground between the two while Harper and his CPC are getting further away from reality.

Last edited by Looch City; 09-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #2126
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Things are looking grim for Harper if he wins a minority...
That's what they have to say... but really IMO there is a 0.00000% chance that no one would allow him to get past at least one confidence motion. If it comes to it one of them will buckle and either abstain en masse (and thus "not support" by "not voting with him") in the name of not having an election that the people don't want or they'll claim to have extracted consessions and thus can live with whatever it is that's being voted on (again in the name of not having an election that the people don't want).

We're not getting another election for at least a year regardless of the outcome.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #2127
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless it's a virtual 3 way tie I can't see winning party getting taken down right away.

Hypothetical
CPC - 130 seats
NDP - 110 seats
LIB - 95 seats
I think it's more likely the Libs creatively abstain for a year then force another election than it is they support Mulcair as PM. If the NDP form government it legitimizes them and that is bad for the Libs.

If the Libs win more seats than the NDP I could see a coalition forming with the NDP getting cabinet seats but that's about it and it would have to be a weak CPC minority. Mind you things have been silly in politics lately so who knows.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #2128
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Uh oh! Look who opened their mouth and said something stupid again;

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/just...list-1.3238441

Sounds to me like Justin doesn't think as highly of black men or their choice in music. Now I can't say if the man is racist or not but he's a privileged person that didn't grow up around minorities and probably doesn't have a good handle on why those comments come off poorly. If I'm a minority I don't feel too good about him talking about certain communities and types of music like this as we all know what he's talking about here and it appears he's not very sensitive to the stereotypes. Lets hope we can avoid the disaster.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #2129
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

threehundredeight.com individual riding info is pretty crazy to watch.

in particular, watch the Lethbridge riding which swings back and forth from the NDP to the CPC each day.

In Alberta there seems to be a slow trend towards CPC amongst those ridings which were runaways for the Libs or the NDP a month ago.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #2130
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
threehundredeight.com individual riding info is pretty crazy to watch.

in particular, watch the Lethbridge riding which swings back and forth from the NDP to the CPC each day.

In Alberta there seems to be a slow trend towards CPC amongst those ridings which were runaways for the Libs or the NDP a month ago.
I don't really trust 308's riding projections. I think their methods are flawed.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #2131
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

NDP airhead doesn't know what Auschwitz was.

I'm amazed people like this exist, she's a school trustee with a Masters' degree.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...witz-1.3241065
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #2132
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is ridiculous enough on it's own, and then you see some of her past tweets:

Quote:
@PeelSchools: Peel board students learn, reflect on Holocaust http://bit.ly/uQDdrw ” Great to hear!
Quote:
Deborah Brown receives award @HWDSB for her instruction in Holocaust Edu. "I now know what needs to change in the world" student #HamOnt
Forget the candidate, this is a failure of McMaster University, and the public education system. Something this important should never be forgotten.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM   #2133
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Politics aside, how can you not at least have heard of this in your everyday life? Even from a mainstream movie or something?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #2134
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I don't really trust 308's riding projections. I think their methods are flawed.
I wouldn't. 308 was one of the first outlets to predict that historically PC Blue ridings in Calgary during the Provincial Election were going to turn NDP Orange.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #2135
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
NDP airhead doesn't know what Auschwitz was.

I'm amazed people like this exist, she's a school trustee with a Masters' degree.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...witz-1.3241065
I hate incomplete journalism like this.

The curved concrete posts around Auschwitz support electrified and barbed wire fences. Those posts also exist elsewhere in Poland (I guess that was how you built a post back in the day there). If you were just looking at a photo of the posts you'd have no way of knowing it was a photo of Auschwitz unless someone told you that's what it was. The article only refers to her comments on the photo, and doesn't say that it was advertised as a photo of Auschwitz or, indeed, a photo of an electrified fence. So I don't really see how she can be criticized for commenting on the shape of a fence post without any surrounding context (unless you think her comments were really crude I guess).

As for not knowing what Auschwitz was, I suppose that could be forgiven too - a person could have a general knowledge of the Nazi concentration camps without knowing their particular names. I know I couldn't list them all.

Without more information about the original post she was commenting on, it looks like a tempest in a teapot to me, and another sign that social media is going to reshape politics one way or the other.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #2136
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I hate incomplete journalism like this.

The curved concrete posts around Auschwitz support electrified and barbed wire fences. Those posts also exist elsewhere in Poland (I guess that was how you built a post back in the day there). If you were just looking at a photo of the posts you'd have no way of knowing it was a photo of Auschwitz unless someone told you that's what it was. The article only refers to her comments on the photo, and doesn't say that it was advertised as a photo of Auschwitz or, indeed, a photo of an electrified fence. So I don't really see how she can be criticized for commenting on the shape of a fence post without any surrounding context (unless you think her comments were really crude I guess).

As for not knowing what Auschwitz was, I suppose that could be forgiven too - a person could have a general knowledge of the Nazi concentration camps without knowing their particular names. I know I couldn't list them all.

Without more information about the original post she was commenting on, it looks like a tempest in a teapot to me, and another sign that social media is going to reshape politics one way or the other.

Sorry, but it seems that you are really reaching here, to support her.

I would expect a social worker with a master's degree to have heard about and know what Auschwitz was.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #2137
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

I would expect a social worker with a master's degree to have heard about and know what Auschwitz was.
AND a BA in Social Justice and Peace Studies. Is that even real? And it never once mentions Auschwitz? I suppose she could always go back to teaching.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #2138
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post

Oh, I'm not worried about supporting her. She could be a blithering idiot for all I know.

I just don't like it when an article doesn't present the whole story, or focuses on trivia rather than substance.

It's surprising what information slips through some people's educations. For example, when I moved out from Calgary, I was amazed how many people in BC had never heard of Adam Smith (when the topic of capitalism came up in conversation). Coming from Alberta I was totally blown away - he was presented as the counterpart of Karl Marx in my high school upbringing, a really well known historical figure. But there you go - not everyone gets the same education about everything.

And it really is trivia in the end. Whether or not she's heard of Auschwitz is way less significant that whether she's ever heard of the Nazi death camps and the Holocaust generally, and her views on same. But the article is incomplete there too.

I guess what I'm saying is that (1) we can't criticize her for making crude comments about Auschwitz because we don't even know if the photo she was commenting on was clearly identified as Auschwitz; and (2) we can criticize her for not knowing some basic trivia, but not for anything of substance like her views on Nazi death camps or the education of Canadians about the topic.

So basically the whole thing boils down to "she's a bad politician because she didn't know what Auschwitz was," which isn't very interesting really.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #2139
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand not knowing that the picture was of Auschwitz but not know what Auschwitz was? Come on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #2140
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Ahhh, the infamous Pollish (sic), phallic, hydro posts … of course you took pictures of this! It expresses the how the curve is normal, natural, and healthy right!"
Kind of more offensive to the good folks at Ipsos and Nanos Research than Jews.
Closed Thread