Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #2081
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Edited because I couldn't be arsed arguing about such a nonsense issue.

Last edited by Swift; 09-22-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #2082
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Swift; 09-22-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #2083
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's obviously worried about the Harper kids. He knows how hard it is to grow up with a busy Prime Minister as a father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Trudeau
Quote:
Though the couple initially appeared to have a very close and loving relationship, the marriage soon began to fall apart. Margaret resented her husband's constant work-related absences and was forced to raise her three young sons largely by herself.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #2084
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watching to the Thomas Mulcair interview with Peter Mansbridge and I have to say I find him a little bit abrasive and insincere. I want a leader who thinks collaboratively, and Mulcair is a pitbull. I'm not interested in having someone like that represent my interests. I find him to be interested in power and not all that interested in serving Canada.

I wrote that out before Mansbridge quoted Bruce Hyer about Mulcair, "A ruthless man who will say and do anything to get elected. Just like Stephen Harper, he would be another dictatorial Prime Minister."

If a leader could come out and sincerely focus on collaboration, they would have my vote.

About to watch the Trudeau interview next.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #2085
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been forced to listen to country music more in the last couple of months than I have in my entire life. Every other song is a no-so-subtle insinuation about getting a girl drunk, or getting drunk yourself and letting the chips fall where they may.

Flipping through the metropolis paper quickly (yeah, not going to read the whole thing), if there is a problem in the visible minority in terms of lone parent households, don't we want the government to acknowledge this, as opposed to sweep it under the rug?

Anyway, I hope that this doesn't become a bigger issue than something important like increasing international pressure on the lowering of oceanic acidification. Or protection of drinking water in the face of retreating permafrost. Or tax exempt upgrading of deep sea shipbuilding yards in the Maritimes for use in military contracts, or inclusion of voluntary part time as an indication of unemployment, or a 3 strike policy on non essential medical visits for adults, or revisiting C51.....

Jus sayin.(...should show up in the next Liberal commercial. Justin says something vaguely smart sounding, and a group of harmless looking workers around a table say, "Jus sayin". Fade to picture of a hopeful puppy) No one expects Trudeau to be a great orator. I also apologize for my tendency to list things that politicians avoid talking about, because they might be decisive.

OMGWTF, grouping one race into the label of 'rednecks', might be a show of bias on this issue. I do agree that there is a classism issue in Canada that doesn't get much press.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #2086
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He's obviously worried about the Harper kids. He knows how hard it is to grow up with a busy Prime Minister as a father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Trudeau
In fairness even though dad was never around as he was too busy smoking cigars with Castro or flipping the bird to anyone west of Ontario , I'm sure the kids were having fun playing with Uncle Mick and Uncle Keith while mom was busy frolicking with Uncle Ronnie.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #2087
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Just watching to the Thomas Mulcair interview with Peter Mansbridge and I have to say I find him a little bit abrasive and insincere. I want a leader who thinks collaboratively, and Mulcair is a pitbull. I'm not interested in having someone like that represent my interests. I find him to be interested in power and not all that interested in serving Canada.

I wrote that out before Mansbridge quoted Bruce Hyer about Mulcair, "A ruthless man who will say and do anything to get elected. Just like Stephen Harper, he would be another dictatorial Prime Minister."

If a leader could come out and sincerely focus on collaboration, they would have my vote.

About to watch the Trudeau interview next.
Trudeau seems to be emphasizing collaboration the most of all the party leaders. Mulcair seems like Harper-left (right? who knows where Mulcair is now...)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #2088
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched all three interviews. I am certainly not a big fan of Mulcair. I could not see him representing the interest of Canadians.

I feel like Harper and the Conservatives are more solid policy-wise and fit to run a government, and Trudeau certainly has the charisma and presentation of a leader. Trudeau also has the most focus on collaboration, which is important to me as a voter.

I'm between voting for those two parties. Of course in my riding, it probably won't matter. A lot can happen in the next four weeks.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #2089
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should almost be XXXX Party is No Good threads so the 'go team' supporters of their parties can go and rage about non-issues that they want to build up into big deals.

Still do not understand blind support of any party no matter what is happening in the country.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #2090
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
There should almost be XXXX Party is No Good threads so the 'go team' supporters of their parties can go and rage about non-issues that they want to build up into big deals.

Still do not understand blind support of any party no matter what is happening in the country.
I seem to remember an "Ongoing Stephen Harper Transgressions" thread.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #2091
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You won't be safe in your bedrooms!

Conservative candidate's ISIS flyer advocates 'fear and division,' opponent says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...says-1.3239709

Quote:
The piece of campaign literature for the Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas candidate landed in riding doorsteps and mailboxes over the weekend. The flyer, which came from national headquarters and was modified for Samuel's campaign, contains an image of a National Post story entitled "Isis urges Jihadists to attack Canadians" with the quote "You will not feel secure in your bedrooms."
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #2092
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Election 2015: Race to the Bottom
Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #2093
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what the CPC wants, American style politics where fear and lies and appealing to stupidity generally win. Too bad it cuts both ways though....

Quote:
In a 2009 video, Gordon Giesbrecht, now a Winnipeg South Conservative candidate, made comparisons between abortion, 9/11 and the Holocaust.

Published on a blog site listed under Saskatoon's Horizon College and Seminary, the two-minute video shows Giesbrecht saying: "Six million Jews were killed in Nazi concentration camps during World War II.… That's a staggering number, but get this: since abortion became legal in North America several decades ago, over 42 million unborn babies have been aborted."

"That's a 9/11 every day for the past 35 years," Giesbrecht said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...239298?cmp=rss
Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #2094
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

Conservative candidate's ISIS flyer advocates 'fear and division,' opponent says

Sad thing is this stuff must work if they keep doing it.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #2095
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

Ugh. Like I don't see enough of this drivel in my FB feed.

I really wish political parties wouldn't pander to the lowest common denominator with this sensationalist tactic. It's insulting to people with half a brain, and actually turns me off the party.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #2096
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This is what the CPC wants, American style politics where fear and lies and appealing to stupidity generally win. Too bad it cuts both ways though....

Hahaha...oh wait he's being serious. A couple more CPC wins and we'll be no different than US. Trump might as well run here.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #2097
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding the ISIS ads - disappointed to see that as a huge PC supporter. Don't like that garbage.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #2098
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know. Margaret Atwood just made the list...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ts-and-writers

Quoting The Handmaid's Tale in an ad would have made everyone happy.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #2099
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I've come around to the view that the best result for this election is a Liberal win with the Conservatives relegated to a distant third (though their base will allow them to only fall so far).

At first, I really thought Trudeau was hopeless as a candidate for PM. I still see him as the weakest of the 3 but the simple truth is we don't have a presidential system in Canada, and the leader simply isn't as important here as he is in the US. The party is more important than its leader, and that's particularly true with the Liberals where Trudeau is likely less responsible for setting policy and direction.

Trudeau's gotten much better over the past few months, good enough that I could now tolerate him as PM, and he's got a very deep party behind him with policies that - by and large - make sense or are at least not horrible. In short, the Liberals now strike me as an acceptable if not ideal replacement for the Tories.

As for the Conservatives, leaving all their policies aside, their approach to governing, democracy, and science all deserve round rebuke from the electorate. The best thing for that party is denunciation and deterrence to send a strong message that their neo-con approach to governing is not tolerable in Canada.

The NDP - and Tom Mulcair in particular - have shown themselves to be effective in opposition. I'd like to keep them (him) there for the next 4 years.

For me, the ideal result is the Liberals taking power for the next 4 years. During that time, and before the next election, a few things could happen: the Liberals and Trudeau could prove their effectiveness in governing (or not); the NDP and Mulcair could continue to establish themselves as legitimate alternative 3rd party (or not); and the Conservatives could jettison Harper, their authoritarian approach to governance, their dubious candidates, and could re-emerge as a more middle-of-the-road party (or not).

Basically, I'd like a situation where 4-5 years from now we're looking at 3 good alternatives. That's probably wishful thinking, but I suppose it's not impossible. The party that will have the hardest time will be the Conservatives, and what they could be post-Harper.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #2100
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

what a ridiculous statement