Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #761
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Some short Callan Foote highlights (#25)
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #762
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Players who IMO have no chance of falling to us at #16:

Patrick (C), Hischier (C), Heiskanen (D), Makar (D), Vilardi (W/C), Mittelstadt (C), Petterson (C/W), Glass (C)

Players who IMO are unlikely to fall to us at #16 but you never know:

Rasmussen (C), Necas (C)

My short list of players who I'd be looking at based on not as much research as usual:

Liljegren (D), Foote (D), Valimaki (D), Poehling (C), Andersson (C), Suzuki (RW), Tippett (RW), Vesalainen (LW)

Of the above I prefer the dmen, centres and Tippett.

Darkhorse pick:

P-O Joseph (D) because Craig Button seems higher on him than most, so maybe Tod Button is as well?

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-22-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #763
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

Lias Andersson Highlights #23 (for his club team) and #15 (for Sweden) and #26 (for Sweden)

He scores a pretty bad goal on Ortio actually (bad for Ortio)
Watching this video, I think his offense is actually very translatable to the NHL -- he's got a lot in common stylistically with Monahan: go to the high percentage areas and release with no hesitation...
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #764
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I predict that if Kostin is available, the Flames will take him as their swing for the fences. It's a good point about McPhee having three bullets in the chamber before that happens. I like everything I have seen about Andersson though so I hope he is still there at our pick.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #765
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't followed this draft at all, but I've seen some stuff of Lias Andersson. He looks good and I want the Flames to pick him.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #766
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving has repeatedly said the Flames are looking for a player with a high ceiling. To me, that suggests Kostin or Vesalainen.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #767
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Treliving has repeatedly said the Flames are looking for a player with a high ceiling. To me, that suggests Kostin or Vesalainen.
Liljegren stand out to me as fitting that comment, huge upside. I mean lots of players have high ceilings. Juuso Valkimaki scored 19 goals and 61 points in the WHL, pretty good for a 6'2 defensemen eh? Sounds like his upside is a top 3 defenseman.

Really, really skeptical they would go with Kostin. Neither Mackenzie or Button has him in their top 17. We haven't drafted a Russian in the top 6 rounds in 15 years. Let me repeat that, 15 years! We did draft a Belarussian in the 5th round recently but he was playing in the WHL. What do we even have for Russian scouts? We have no Russian players to help him acclimatize. I guess we were eyeing up Kucherov that one year so its clear we would consider a Russian if they were exceptional. But even still I'd bet money against Kostin personally.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #768
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Liljegren stand out to me as fitting that comment, huge upside. I mean lots of players have high ceilings. Juuso Valkimaki scored 19 goals and 61 points in the WHL, pretty good for a 6'2 defensemen eh? Sounds like his upside is a top 3 defenseman.

Really, really skeptical they would go with Kostin. Neither Mackenzie or Button has him in their top 17. We haven't drafted a Russian in the top 6 rounds in 15 years. Let me repeat that, 15 years! We did draft a Belarussian in the 5th round recently but he was playing in the WHL. What do we even have for Russian scouts? We have no Russian players to help him acclimatize. I guess we were eyeing up Kucherov that one year so its clear we would consider a Russian if they were exceptional. But even still I'd bet money against Kostin personally.
Plus the last Russian we picked is now a defected player.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #769
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Plus the last Russian we picked is now a defected player.
But that was a 7th round pick that had no interest in coming over, and didn't even know he got drafted until months later
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #770
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The player I am hoping for most of all is Andersson.

The Flames are fairly set with D-men and goaltending for the time being organizationally, I would be fine if they trended towards forwards. I would not be disappointed with any of the D-men in the range of the Flames pick if they went that way however. All the high quality forward prospects have either graduated (or expected to in Janko's case) or are small. The 2013 1sts all look like they're going to be 3rd/4th line guys if they make it. So that leaves us with Dube, Phillips, and Mangiapane as the only forward prospects with skill coming through the pipeline. On defense, the Flames have Fox, Andersson, Kylington, Falkovsky, and Kulak that look like they're NHL calibre prospects and most of them still have developmental time.

As long as we don't get Hague or Rasmussen, I'll be perfectly fine with whatever comes.

If some of the better options are gone at 16, I wouldn't mind dropping to 20 and picking up a 2nd. If none of Kostin, Andersson, Necas, Foote, or Liljegren are up at 16, dropping 4 picks and getting either Yamamoto or Thomas would work.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 06-22-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #771
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post

The Flames are fairly set with D-men and goaltending for the time being organizationally, I would be fine if they trended towards forwards. I would not be disappointed with any of the D-men in the range of the Flames pick if they went that way however. All the high quality forward prospects have either graduated (or expected to in Janko's case) or are small. The 2013 1sts all look like they're going to be 3rd/4th line guys if they make it. So that leaves us with Dube, Phillips, and Mangiapane as the only forward prospects with skill coming through the pipeline. On defense, the Flames have Fox, Andersson, Kylington, Falkovsky, and Kulak that look like they're NHL calibre prospects and most of them still have developmental time.

As long as we don't get Hague or Rasmussen, I'll be perfectly fine with whatever comes.

If some of the better options are gone at 16, I wouldn't mind dropping to 20 and picking up a 2nd. If none of Kostin, Andersson, Necas, Foote, or Liljegren are up at 16, dropping 4 picks and getting either Yamamoto or Thomas would work.
Suzuki> all the guys you mentioned except maybe Necas. If the flames manage to draft Suzuki I'd be so god damn happy
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #772
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Vaseleinen is availible I find it very hard to see the flames passing on him. Fills a postitional need, big, can skate. If I was a betting man I think that's who the Flames will pick. Most likely wrong tho
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #773
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Suzuki> all the guys you mentioned except maybe Necas. If the flames manage to draft Suzuki I'd be so god damn happy
I have the opposite opinion. I think Suzuki is almost Baertschi like and that he'll struggle to be more than a middling winger. Useful no doubt, but I'd take a Backlund type center over that. Between the two, I'd take Yamamoto over Suzuki as well as he has higher levels of raw skill, speed and overall talent even though he's Johnny sized.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #774
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He's got some skills and I like his compete. Not sure he'll be the best asset available at #16. I think if the Flames think there is a top 4 defenseman available I'd personally take that over a probable 2nd line winger with below average size just because top 4 defensemen are so valuable in trades and wingers are so easy to trade for. If we did grab a winger I'd think 6'3, 207 power forward in Vesalainen might be under consideration as well. Tippett could fall to us too although it seems like scouts are divided whether he or Suzuki is the better prospect.

Liljegren, Foote, Valimaki all look like potential top 4 D around our range. I think all 3 are possibilities. Craig Button seems to really like P-O Joseph as well so maybe he's a bit of a dark horse dman that his brother may like as well.

All that said I do like Suzuki, his highlights are impressive. Same goes for Lias Andersson. Both attractive players that I wouldn't be disappointed with. I think I'd prefer the dmen over them though.

This draft is impossible to predict so its hard to know who will be there.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-23-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #775
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have the opposite opinion. I think Suzuki is almost Baertschi like and that he'll struggle to be more than a middling winger. Useful no doubt, but I'd take a Backlund type center over that. Between the two, I'd take Yamamoto over Suzuki as well as he has higher levels of raw skill, speed and overall talent even though he's Johnny sized.
Are there any Sprong(/Ho Sang) type guys in this draft that you're high on who aren't ranked that high?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 AM   #776
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Are there any Sprong(/Ho Sang) type guys in this draft that you're high on who aren't ranked that high?
Not really. This year's draft was kind of terrible at the start where there was basically nothing, but anyone who showed anything already filtered up towards the top. That is partially why the draft isn't quite as poorly thought of as it was earlier in the year. Just a bad couple picks at the top, but enough talent has filtered that it isn't half bad. I'd say it's slightly better overall that 2012 (and that's due to the potential for a couple of high end forwards in the middle of the 1st round). Comparing drafts, there are some similar prospects like Teravainen and Yamamoto. Still a bit of a crap shoot overall though.

There's a couple of quality prospects after 25, but nobody worth reaching for. No Janko's this year. I'd be making a couple recommendations for the 2nd and 3rd round picks if we had them, but it's kind of an irrelevant point for us really at this stage when we don't pick until round 4. If the Flames do trade down or get additional picks, then it'll be worth talking about.

I would expect the Flames to continue what they have done the past couple years with picks 4-7. They have had three main features - Size + project-ability (Karnaukhov, Mattsson, Tuulola, Falkovsky) - Skill regardless of size (Fox, Mangiapane, Lindstrom, Phillips) - and overagers (Falkovsky, Eat Bread)

This is a year more than likely that I think the Flames will throw more into the skill department overall regardless of the players other flaws (Size/Skating) just because of the thinness of the forward group's offensive skill as a whole that is coming through the pipeline. Got to figure that in a couple years, the Flames will be needing to deal off guys and get replacements that are cheap ala Chicago. Need to start getting guys in the system that will be ready in 3-4 years. We have enough guys to replace the entire 4th line right now in Stockton, the four 2013 1sts + Hathaway. Once certain guys are moved, those guys will graduate, and then the upper part of the system will be barren.

Last edited by Caged Great; 06-23-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #777
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Suzuki is probably the absolute best-case scenario, but any of Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Brannstrom or Liljegren would serve them well.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #778
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Related: it's a surprisingly good draft year for secondary guys from the WHL.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #779
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those that dig on mock drafts...prepare to dig in. We've done a three-round mega mock at FC.

Starts here: https://futureconsiderations.ca/2017...aft-mock-1-10/
Ends here: https://futureconsiderations.ca/2017...ft-mock-83-93/

And every pick in between!
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #780
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think Robert Thomas would be a great pick. He's a center. He plays a two way game, he can pass, he's a hard worker.

He's a London Knight and we know they have an eye for talent and are highly successful at development. He's going to get a ton of ice time next year. His stock could shoot up big time.

Plus someone here already mentioned that he's so smooth.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft