Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Miscellaneous > Help/Suggestions
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Megathread issue

Seriously, this is getting beyond stupid. The Wideman thread is a perfect example. Why do I need to wade through pages and pages of discussion prior to his being suspended instead of just opening up a new thread and starting from there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

And one user actually tried to start a new thread (with suspension news) but it was locked after 9 posts & the mega-threads continues?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

before I begin...the status quo isn't bad, but like most things I do have an opinion on this and since someone started a thread...

I'm admittedly not a fan of mega threads. I think for news stories, especially hockey ones, the old thread should be locked with each new development and preferably linked in the 1st post of the new thread. I know this likely means extra responsibilities for the mods, but hopefully only short term. It didn't used to be like this. People used to know to start new threads. Come to think of it maybe the only person we need to tell is Sureloss.

As for the off topic forum it seems harder to "fix" so to speak. I count 15/30 threads on p1 are mega threads. I don't think a lot of them can be fixed as easily as FOI. It's not like many of them are filled with new thread worthy news all the time. Funny pics, aviation, GMG etc probably need to stay the way they are.

But ones like US politics, the Bunk thread, the airport thread, Don't wanna live on this planet and ISIS all could just be new threads with each new development or story.

Oh and I'd love to see the game threads for Mafia, or whatever that stuff is, just stickied for each round. I think it would make it easier for the contestants and help keep it out of the way of the regular threads.

I've found off topic has slowed down a lot, in terms of new threads. So much talk is over in the Entertainment and Tech forums. Oh and about those. I would encourage people to start threads for each show/movie. Death to mega comic book threads and tv show threads. I mean, I guess they can stay but should be for news that isn't thread worthy like random casting news for some movie 3 years away. Let the BvS and Xmen talk happen in their own threads.

I guess a lot of my suggestions are things that the users themselves, perhaps even me, need to actively participate in for it to happen. I just am hesitant to seem pushy or presumptive.

My unsolicited two cents.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
And one user actually tried to start a new thread (with suspension news) but it was locked after 9 posts & the mega-threads continues?
And it was the same poster that started the initial thread, so it's not like it was a fata, or anyone trying to be the OP or something. It was totally useful, and much appreciated.

Sorry that I'm really not interested in the discussion after it's a day or two old, and it's just a few posters that are beating the dead horse. I have better things to do than to wade through that to find the new information.

Just because you mods are forced to read through all that crap doesn't mean the rest of us should have to.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
And it was the same poster that started the initial thread, so it's not like it was a fata, or anyone trying to be the OP or something. It was totally useful, and much appreciated.

Sorry that I'm really not interested in the discussion after it's a day or two old, and it's just a few posters that are beating the dead horse. I have better things to do than to wade through that to find the new information.

Just because you mods are forced to read through all that crap doesn't mean the rest of us should have to.
Yeah the Wideman one was by far the worst. I don't mind the politics or E=NG or the video game thread, or whatever. It's easy enough to drop in and out of those.

But for a thread where there's a thousand pages of speculation and the same six people arguing, I'd rather be able to click on the new thread and see actual news/changes, vs wading through all that to find the one post that has any facts or news. At the very least a thread title change to add "- Updates in post #430" or something similar.

That was probably the first thread I've actually just gone to TSN to find an update instead of hearing it on CP.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Drouin thread is another one.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
before I begin...the status quo isn't bad, but like most things I do have an opinion on this and since someone started a thread...

I'm admittedly not a fan of mega threads. I think for news stories, especially hockey ones, the old thread should be locked with each new development and preferably linked in the 1st post of the new thread. I know this likely means extra responsibilities for the mods, but hopefully only short term. It didn't used to be like this. People used to know to start new threads. Come to think of it maybe the only person we need to tell is Sureloss.

As for the off topic forum it seems harder to "fix" so to speak. I count 15/30 threads on p1 are mega threads. I don't think a lot of them can be fixed as easily as FOI. It's not like many of them are filled with new thread worthy news all the time. Funny pics, aviation, GMG etc probably need to stay the way they are.

But ones like US politics, the Bunk thread, the airport thread, Don't wanna live on this planet and ISIS all could just be new threads with each new development or story.

Oh and I'd love to see the game threads for Mafia, or whatever that stuff is, just stickied for each round. I think it would make it easier for the contestants and help keep it out of the way of the regular threads.

I've found off topic has slowed down a lot, in terms of new threads. So much talk is over in the Entertainment and Tech forums. Oh and about those. I would encourage people to start threads for each show/movie. Death to mega comic book threads and tv show threads. I mean, I guess they can stay but should be for news that isn't thread worthy like random casting news for some movie 3 years away. Let the BvS and Xmen talk happen in their own threads.

I guess a lot of my suggestions are things that the users themselves, perhaps even me, need to actively participate in for it to happen. I just am hesitant to seem pushy or presumptive.

My unsolicited two cents.
Jesus, man. Does every post have to be a novel?
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Death to mega posts too?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Share the sentiment that we need to endorse creation of new threads when a thread has become so large that new relevant information is too deep into the page count.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

If mega threads stay, can the post # of the update be put in the thread title?
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The worst offending threads are the Draft or Trade threads. Gaudreau was drafted almost 5 year ago and it's now on the front page, with news about how he's playing this season. It's really ugly going back and looking at a draft thread when the vast majority of it becomes news years later, makes it a mess to find something.

Dougie Hamilton traded to the Flames? Let it be news about the trade and discussion about that, but doesn't need to be bumped tracking his improvement this season.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Down with mega threads.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The ultimate answer is always going to be "it depends".

Some threads like a draft or trade thread, go ahead and start a new thread, but it'll help if the thread actually has a decent idea to start with (i.e. "Player X has really done y in his last z games") rather than a generic "I still like Player X".

For something like the trade rumours thread, it's like a stream of consciousness and it's fine like that, but if something more significant comes like an actual rumour, starting a thread is fine.

For something like the Wideman case, it's a difficult thing. When a thread is split, it cuts off all prior discussion (or at least makes it difficult if not impossible to follow). Or if we left the thread open so the existing discussion continued, then you've got two threads being bumped. So for Wideman there'd be a thread for when it happened, a thread for when he apologized, a thread for when it became big news, a thread for when it was found out the linesman was in the hospital, a thread for when he was released from the hospital, a thread for when Wideman was suspended, a thread for when the hearing was scheduled, a thread for when the hearing started, a thread for when the hearing ended, a thread for when an announcement is expected, and eventually a thread for the announcement, a thread for the appeal announcement, a thread for the appeal being scheduled, a thread for the appeal in process, a thread for when the appeal hearing is over, a thread for when the announcement is expected, etc etc.

I'm being a bit facetious but not really, because that's what people want, is to be able to drill down to the news, and this is a perfect example because there's going to be a dozen events which qualify as news by the time the whole thing is over, and a dozen different threads is dumb IMO. It's a discussion forum, and breaking the discussion off for every change in status of a news item doesn't work IMO.

You could say well only split into a new thread on major developments, but then it's a judgment call.

Maybe try and think of the typical megathreads and in each case think of what an appropriate thing to do could be.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Since the Wideman one is at the front, I can start with that one.

So the Wideman thread is a ongoing news event thread where it's expected that things will develop over time. Similar threads could develop over a really long time.

So how could we have discussion that is somewhat contiguous without having a dozen new threads, one for each of a dozen new developments?

A couple of ideas:

a) Have 2 threads, one is an updates thread, and the other is an updates discussion thread. The updates thread only gets posted to with updates from sources, while the discussion thread can discuss the updates. Disadvantage of having 2 threads, more work to maintain probably, but satisfies being able to find the new updates quickly.

b) Have a certain post look that is easily distinctive that people can use when posting a news update. Then one could easily scan through the pages and stop when they see something. Maybe a quote box with a different colour background or a different look to it, and it's easy to make with just a simple BBCode i.e.

News Update

whatever

Quote:
UPDATE:
In a recent update, scientists find people can never agree on anything ever.
Disadvantage still have to scan through the thread, takes time for people to learn to use the tags that would make the newsy looking item.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
a) Have 2 threads, one is an updates thread, and the other is an updates discussion thread. The updates thread only gets posted to with updates from sources, while the discussion thread can discuss the updates. Disadvantage of having 2 threads, more work to maintain probably, but satisfies being able to find the new updates quickly.
I think that idea has some merit.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 05:21 AM   #16
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I've never liked the "News only" vs "Discussion only" threads. I don't know if it really helps reduce the clutter or confusion. In some cases, I think it makes it worse.

One recent example of a story that had both a News and a Discussion thread was the CalgaryNext announcement. That's an especially difficult one to separate what qualifies as "News" and what is "Discussion". If Ken King talks to STHs about the project and someone who was there recaps it, is that news even though it's not a media source? If QR has a call-in show where random people call in to give their opinions, does that qualify as news because it was on a mainstream media outlet even though there was nothing new discussed and everything was just random opinions?

If there's a News thread, discussion of the news updates still has to go into the Discussion thread, so you still end up with the crosstalk and trying to find where the discussion changed as new information came out.

I don't know the logistics of how things work behind the scenes for the Mods, but I'd prefer it if the first post in the thread were to get continually updated to link to the relevant posts with news updates. If you don't want to wade through page after page of outdated discussion, you'd be able to go to the first post in the thread and it will contain links to the posts within that thread where updates were released.

For example, the first post in the Wideman thread could look like this...

Quote:
ORIGINAL POST:

This is being discussed on Twitter to no end: will Dennis Wideman be suspended?

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 23m23 minutes ago
The hell is wrong with Dennis Wideman?

Joe HaggertyVerified account ‏@HackswithHaggs 37m37 minutes ago
Joe Haggerty Retweeted Thomas Willis
Wow...that looks really bad for Dennis Wideman

Matt Papes ‏@Papes23 1m1 minute ago
What in he hell was Dennis Wideman thinking. Going to be a huge suspension coming here

Thoughts? I mean, that looked awful. 10+ games?

----------

UPDATE #1: 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM : Linesman went to hospital after game :: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5603959

---------

UPDATE #2: 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM : Wideman suspended pending hearing on Tuesday after All-Star Break :: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5604231

----------

UPDATE #3: 02-02-2016, 02:19 PM : Wideman hearing has ended :: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5610012

----------

UPDATE #4: 02-02-2016, 02:32 PM : Ruling not expected Tuesday :: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5610036

I know this is something sureLoss does a lot with the threads he starts. I think it's an effective balance between making megathreads readable without having new threads popping up for every minor update to a developing story.

With the Wideman situation, I think it should definitely get a new thread when the ruling is announced.