Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Where to buy a Propane Grill?

I do a lot of BBQing throughout the year, but I have no clue what I'm looking at in a new grill.

I have a smallish balcony in my new condo (5.5 feet x 12 feet), so I don't need a monstrosity of a grill, however, I don't want a tiny one either.

So what and where should I be looking at? I would also like to keep this thing under $500.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I do a lot of BBQing throughout the year, but I have no clue what I'm looking at in a new grill.

I have a smallish balcony in my new condo (5.5 feet x 12 feet), so I don't need a monstrosity of a grill, however, I don't want a tiny one either.

So what and where should I be looking at? I would also like to keep this thing under $500.
http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/ I have always gone here and they were great. You can always hit up home depot, Canadian Tire, Sears.

Pretty much every "home" place has BBQ's.

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/produc...-signet-70-lp/
I have this one, it's pretty great for what I use it for. If you don't want the rotisserie burner then you can get less expensive model.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 04-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

First of all, keep up to date on this thread as people always post good deals for BBQs:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...thread-721171/

Second of all, keep in mind Rona will price match plus beat the competitors ad by 10%. So if a competitor goes on sale, go buy it at Rona for the sale price + 10% off. Keep in mind though it has to be the exact same BBQ. Look at Home Depot and Lowes ads before going to Rona.

Rona had the lowest price at the time I bought my Weber so I just had Barbecues Galore match it as I felt like supporting the smaller business instead. They gave pretty good customer service.

I bought a bigger natural gas grill, but I used this propane BBQ one summer and really liked it. It's perfect for a balcony and it's in your price range:

http://www.rona.ca/en/propane-gas-barbecue-16665612--1
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best time to buy a BBQ is Sept/Oct. I got mine at Superstore, and was $250 for a $700 grill.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i don't really have anything to add to this thread other than mmmmm barbeque......

i am currently awaiting to see what my bonus for this year is, and then i am buying a new BBQ. I need to go to BBQ's Galore or Trail, but this bad boy at Home Depot did catch my eye:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/webe...s-grill/928824

my other piece of advice, is buy a good BBQ cover.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
MG153
Farm Team Player

Exp:

bought a decent grill master from canadian tire last year for 400$ no problems with it, stainless steel, 4 burner plus side burner hidden cabinet underneath and fits nicely on my small condo patio
MG153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given your username, I think there's only one real choice for you: the Weber Q.

It is actually an excellent little bbq that's perfect for limited space, or for throwing in the back of a car for camping/tailgating. Definitely lacks the bells and whistles, but pretty good for a compact model.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

A lot of new condos run natural gas lines out to the balcony which makes sense because gas is often already covered by condo fees. Dumb question but make sure you have this before you buy a propane one.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
A lot of new condos run natural gas lines out to the balcony which makes sense because gas is often already covered by condo fees. Dumb question but make sure you have this before you buy a propane one.
Yeah I've checked, and unfortunately, I don't have a NG line. So it'll be propane for me.

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep it coming.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Strickland Propane.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i don't really have anything to add to this thread other than mmmmm barbeque......

i am currently awaiting to see what my bonus for this year is, and then i am buying a new BBQ. I need to go to BBQ's Galore or Trail, but this bad boy at Home Depot did catch my eye:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/webe...s-grill/928824

my other piece of advice, is buy a good BBQ cover.
I bought the S310 (so the basic version without the side burner or sear burner) and I love it. I think I paid just under $800 for it so shop around/look for sales.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought a Weber Q 320 Propane BBQ last April/May at Home Depot for around $330.00 bucks or so:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/webe...s-grill/918130

I just looked and it's $439 now though! But it's worked out great and as I was getting the last one in stock I also had a random employee and 2 random customers in the store tell me how great it was. So I'm not too surprised it went up a bit in cost but it's still under your max. The sides fold down as well so it doesn't take up too much space.

Only thing it lacks is a top grill but I find that's not a big deal, just turn the heat down lower. Also has 2 seperate burners - a ring that goes around the outer part of the grill, then a single one that goes down the middle. So you can adjust the temperatures that way too.

Hope that helps. There's also a smaller/cheaper one that you can actually easily dismount from the actual stand and easily take with you in a car or on a quad if you go camping a lot as well.

Last edited by FlamesAllTheWay; 04-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
FlamesAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I had the exact same issue last year, and got this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I looked everywhere for a decent small BBQ, and this one was the nicest thing under $700. It is built like a frikkin tank (nicer than the equivalent weber), and is perfect for a small balcony. The arms both fold down for storage, it has multi-directional casters and it takes up next to no room. I was shocked at how solid it was once I put it together, and thing thing heats up like the core of the sun with the small interior area. I paid $250 at the end of season last year, and it is on sale for $300 right now. Couldn't be happier with it. And the cover for it was only $15 too.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
You have been given a lot of good advice in this thread. The two biggest tips I can offer for anybody looking at buying a BBQ:

- Thick walls. The difference between thick and thin walls often comes down to price, and a BBQ with thick walls will retain heat better. That means more even cooking during the summer, and better cooking in the winter.

- Don't buy one bigger than what you need. (Sounds like you are looking for small anyway.) I made the mistake of buying a big BBQ; shortly after having to drag out the camping BBQ during a family cookout. The problem is that in order to have even heat I have to turn on all 3 burners if I am cooking something like steak. Unless you plan on regularily having a lot of people over; bigger isn't always better.

One compromise I have seen, my buddy has a BBQ with two lids; so he can heat just the one side. I think he bought it at Superstore.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice.

I went yesterday to Lowe's armed with all the info in this thread then I cam across the new infrared grills and decided to ask you guys first.

Any experience with these? Are they any good? I read online that they are only useful for cooking steaks and are pretty useless for everything else. Is that true?

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

I went yesterday to Lowe's armed with all the info in this thread then I cam across the new infrared grills and decided to ask you guys first.

Any experience with these? Are they any good? I read online that they are only useful for cooking steaks and are pretty useless for everything else. Is that true?

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
Ever been to a steakhouse that uses an infrared grill? I'm pretty confident I have not. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would say stay away.

http://www.bbqguys.com/content_content_13972.html

Quote:
Benefits of Infrared Grills
  • Infrared grills heat up faster and utilize less energy and gas than traditional grills.
  • The design of the infrared grills, which places the heating device below the ceramic element allows for more even heating, meaning less hot and cold spots while grilling.
  • Because of the higher temperatures, foods will cook more quickly. This helps in keeping the fluids of foods locked in for better tasting meats.
  • Infrared heating means the heat is sent directly to the food. This allows you to grill with the lid open and watch your food cook without the fear of losing precious heat.
  • With infrared, juices drip directly on to the burner and vaporize instantly, meaning less flare-ups while grilling.
  • The high heat from infrared burners sears foods more quickly, locking in juices for tastier meats.
  • With less time spent standing next to the grill, you can make grilling an everyday event - not just a weekend luxury.
  • Infrared grills are versatile and allow you to cook everything, from steaks and chicken to seafood and vegetables, like a pro.
  • Because they take less time to heat up and grill foods, infrared grills are an energy efficient, or green, option over convection gas and charcoal grilling.
Most of the benefits listed here are kind of a joke. Ok it heats up quicker and can get to a higher temp, I have never needed a BBQ to get to 900 degrees. It says foods will cook more quickly but that seems to me like I would have less control of doneness of the food, it will go from done to well done a lot quicker. It claims that it sears the food quicker allowing juices to be sealed in, this is misleading as searing meat doesn't lock all the juices in it because they still leak out. Also it says it is versatile and you can cook everything, news flash you can cook everything on a regular grill as well.
The tips for using an infrared grill are pretty funny as well. It says don't cook with the lid down so I guess don't plan on cooking in rain, snow, or wind.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 04-04-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after looking at the usual big box stores, I went to trail and bbq's galore and I think I have mentally settled on this bad boy:

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/produc...d-sb-black-ng/

After looking at top quality grills, it is funny how flimsy those q's at the big box stores feel

Anyone else have a Napoleon grill?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I sell the barbecues at Lowe's (while I am waiting for the spring to arrive and I can get to my garden centre department). Come and see me (Susan) - I'll sort you out. No problem. Lowe's McKenzie.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pony up and get a Weber, you'll never look back. Get a Spirit if size/budget is issue. Otherwise Genisis is about as good as they get for value.

Don't cheap out and get a $200 BBQ unless it is a Weber at 70% off. Those are cheap made junk and you'll have several hot spots in no time.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote