Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2012 Laptop advice

Hey guys,

The old laptop thread seems to be buried away and I am looking for some personal suggestions from you guys for a replacement laptop.

I recently had my 14inch ACER TimelineX (i3 2310, 540GT gpu, 9hr batt, 750gb HD) stolen, along with all of my university notes, labs, assignments, etc. It has been a tough situation that I have finally moved on to the replacement stage.

I picked up a 13.3 inch ASUS zenbook (i5, SSD) for ~$1200. after almost 2 weeks of light use I am planning on returning the machine back to BB. I enjoy the SSD (1st experience with one), but I find that the price tag will not match my usage.

I know this is a bad time to be buying, since we are coming up to the Intel ivey bridge release but I need an operating machine to finish up school with.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a 14ish inch, long battery life, $1000ish laptop? I have been hunting on RFD for 2 weeks and nothing popping up so far for myself. I usually like to have some research time to have some machines in mind and time it out with a deal, but this may not be possible in the timeframe.

Any help is appreciated,

Cman

***** UPDATE *****

Returned the Zenbook, I will just try to use local computer labs for the time being. I think I am going to wait for the next Gen of Intel to come out, then make my decision.

Thanks guys

Last edited by TSXCman; 04-18-2012 at 03:06 PM.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you looked at the new Dell XPS13?

That's probably the way I'm going next

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lenovo X220? Excellent build quality and battery life, plus an IPS screen which is fantastic. Plus Lenovos are well known for having fantastic keyboards which might help if you take a fair amount of notes.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any particular reason you are going with a PC? I made the switch to Mac about 6 years and wont ever go back. Apple has some great deals in their refurbed section too. Thats where Ive gotten mine. Might be worth a look.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Any particular reason you are going with a PC? I made the switch to Mac about 6 years and wont ever go back. Apple has some great deals in their refurbed section too. Thats where Ive gotten mine. Might be worth a look.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
I like PCs; I grew up with them and find that I am pretty tech savvy. I kinda turn my nose up at apple computers due to the fact that for the equivalent performance I can get a PC at ~half the cost.

My Acer that got stolen for instance was $505 after tax.. that had $1000+ worth of components in it and the quality of Acer is not as bad as I hear people rant about.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I like PCs; I grew up with them and find that I am pretty tech savvy. I kinda turn my nose up at apple computers due to the fact that for the equivalent performance I can get a PC at ~half the cost.

My Acer that got stolen for instance was $505 after tax.. that had $1000+ worth of components in it and the quality of Acer is not as bad as I hear people rant about.
If you are spending $1000 on a 13.3" Windows PC, the comparable Mac listed there is $1100. It is probably better in a few ways, like a good battery life, than the Windows PC and worse in some others, including your ability to use it effectively. You are talking about needing a computer to finish school, that's not something I would want to do while learning a new OS.

That said, you probably don't need a computer that is capable of what the Mac is, so getting a slightly upgraded entry level computer would not be a bad idea.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey guys,

The old laptop thread seems to be buried away and I am looking for some personal suggestions from you guys for a replacement laptop.

I recently had my 14inch ACER TimelineX (i3 2310, 540GT gpu, 9hr batt, 750gb HD) stolen, along with all of my university notes, labs, assignments, etc. It has been a tough situation that I have finally moved on to the replacement stage.

I picked up a 13.3 inch ASUS zenbook (i5, SSD) for ~$1200. after almost 2 weeks of light use I am planning on returning the machine back to BB. I enjoy the SSD (1st experience with one), but I find that the price tag will not match my usage.

I know this is a bad time to be buying, since we are coming up to the Intel ivey bridge release but I need an operating machine to finish up school with.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a 14ish inch, long battery life, $1000ish laptop? I have been hunting on RFD for 2 weeks and nothing popping up so far for myself. I usually like to have some research time to have some machines in mind and time it out with a deal, but this may not be possible in the timeframe.

Any help is appreciated,

Cman
I've got an XPS 15z I'd let go 700 if you're interested at all.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

A year ago I bought a Sager NP8130. It's actually a model made by Clevo which is one of the OEMs who manufacture the laptops for many of the well known brands.

I don't regret this decision one bit because its one of the platforms that can be upgraded like a normal computer.

This year I will likely be replacing the motherboard, getting a new GPU, LCD panel, and getting Optimus support and a backlit keyboard which my original model didn't have.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anything but HP.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt.Spears For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
the quality of Acer is not as bad as I hear people rant about.
Of _your_ Acer. I've worked the retail procurement side and know what the return and repair rates on Acer are in real-world usage. Not that some other brands fare much better (HP comes to mind).
Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hey guys,

Any help is appreciated,

Cman

***** UPDATE *****

Returned the Zenbook, I will just try to use local computer labs for the time being. I think I am going to wait for the next Gen of Intel to come out, then make my decision.

Thanks guys
Announcements on availability/timing for the new ivy bridge laptops should happen this monday if you can wait that long.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm holding out for a new ivy bridge MBP. 13 inch, hoping for retina, dual video out 16GB+ ram. My needs are ridiculous though - vm's, multiple IDE's etc.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote