Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #61
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestand View Post
In the big picture I think Friday and Sunday home games will generally be given preference to the Hitmen. Fridays and Saturdays home game dates from January on will usually given to the Roughnecks. This way the ownership group will maximize their revenue. Flames fans will still pay for Flames home games even if there were fewer Saturday games. Notice that there are 22 Flames home games in 2015. There are only three Flames Saturday home dates in those 22 home games.
BOOOOOO!!!!
Would the NHL really allow the CHL or the crappy NLL to dictate its schedule?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #62
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
The Habs also have the biggest national following.
what are you going to complain about now that the decisions about what games are shown are in the hands of Sportsnet and not CBC? Now it is purely a business decision. Will it bother as much that it's not some perceived slight at Calgary and Western Canada by CBC and that it is just pure money decisions?
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #63
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The long homestands seem like they would be bad for season ticket holders. If I was a ST holder and had to go to 5 games in the span of 9 or so days I'd probably be pretty tired of it. I'm sure the family probably wouldn't like me spending so much time at the dome.
Yeah, that's a tough one. It sucks to have the team away for a couple of weeks, then, they come home and play almost every other night for a couple of weeks. It can start to feel like a chore.

A couple of years ago, I went to two concerts in the same week that there were three Flames games. I was at the Saddledome for 5 out of 6 nights.

I'll likely be looking to unload some ticket packages just to reduce the 5 or 6 game home stands to 2 or 3 games that I'll be attending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
BOOOOOO!!!!
Would the NHL really allow the CHL or the crappy NLL to dictate its schedule?
Since the Flames own all three teams (and aren't required by a CBA to share a fixed percentage of the revenue with the players in the other leagues), it's in their best interest to ensure the Hitmen and Roughnecks get some good weekend dates to drive ticket sales. It's not necessarily that the NHL is letting the other guys dictate the schedule, but the Flames will make sure those good dates are available for the other teams.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #64
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Shot Wide View Post
Breaks my heart to see no TSN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Agreed. Much prefer TSN over Sportsnet. Rather watch the game somewhere than nowhere though.
Hooray for Sportsnet and good riddance to TSN. Remember how many times TSN pre-empted Flames games due to eastern games going into OT and long shootouts. TSN only gave 2.5 hours prior to Flames games instead of 3 hours. They gloated about TSN2 and that channel rarely helped out, same thing happened in this past playoffs.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #65
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
5 nationally televised games in October.
5 nationally televised games in February, March and April combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
aaaannndd sportsnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's my understanding that all games on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays will be broadcast nationwide without blackout. If that's correct, there are quite a few missing from the national list right now, like Saturday afternoon games and a lot of Wednesday night games.

All tolled, the Flames have 17 Saturday games; 11 Wednesday games; and 5 Sunday games. That should see 33 games airing nationally over the season.

Of course, if you live in the Flames region, all 82 games will be televised somewhere.
There are 7 Wed. games, 3 Sat. games, and 1 Sun. game not on the national TV schedule and 7 of those not on that schedule are from Feb. to Apr. Some of those games will be added to the schedule. From what I understand, the remaining games on those days will be seen on the SN West/Flames channel because that channel will be unlocked. I really hope and think Sportsnet comes through on this.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #66
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I might be wrong bit I was under the impression that there will be no more regional blackouts. So we as BC folk could watch on SNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I read something along this line too but it was unclear if there was a charge for this access or not or if what I read was just someone else speculating. Not having to buy Centre Ice would help my pocket.
That's right, for those outside the Flames region, games on Sun. Wed. and Sat. can be seen on SNW.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #67
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Pretty sure it would just be national games shown on any SN channels. Regional games are still blacked out. Can't remember exactly how it was worded though. Need to find the old thread about it.
Here's the old thread. http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=132426
Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #68
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Flames 2014/2015 schedule released

Nevermind
MotoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #69
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
what are you going to complain about now that the decisions about what games are shown are in the hands of Sportsnet and not CBC? Now it is purely a business decision. Will it bother as much that it's not some perceived slight at Calgary and Western Canada by CBC and that it is just pure money decisions?
There will not be much complaining towards Sportsnet as long as all of the Saturday games are televised nation wide. The games on Sportsnet, Sportsnet One, and City are on basic cable, just like the CBC.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #70
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames schedule has been updated with a pair of national games on the NHL Network in the USA. This means american residents will need Centre Ice to get the other 80 Flames games.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebysea...NHLN-US&venue=

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #71
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
12 games on HNIC

I believe all the TV stations listed are national broadcasts, which would mean 21 games will be nationally broadcast next year.
SureLoss, there are 22 games on the 3 exclusive nights for Rogers, not counting the recent supplemental national coverage. The Nov. 2 game against the Habs is on CityTV, it was accidentally cut off in what you posted at the beginning of this thread. This does equal last season's total.

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 09-01-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #72
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
5 nationally televised games in October.
5 nationally televised games in February, March and April combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
aaaannndd sportsnet
Add 2 more in Oct, and 3 more in Feb, Mar, and Apr combined. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-broadcast-schedule-released/
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729268&navid=DL|CGY|home
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #73
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I personally won't miss the TSN games, because of 2 things. I could assemble a team of beer drinking, non-hockey playing buddies for the first game against Toronto and sure as hell we would take them to overtime to delay the Flames broadcast. Seemed like every time it would happen!
That plus it's harder to get through an entire game on the TV without someone wanting to watch something else so I prefer to watch on GC as national broadcasts are blacked out.
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flame^thrower For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #74
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of preemptive complaining about SN coverage, but close to a lock is after the regional broadcasts are complete every single frigin Flames game this season will be on TV. Not sure what more people want? Flames have the lowest number of National games right now for two reasons: one, small market (just like all the other Canadian teams not Tor, MTL, or Van), and two everyone is expecting us not not be in the hunt at the end, so they are hedging their schedule for national coverage on the teams that they think will be chasing at the end. Seems completely fair to me, I'd do the same thing if I were a programming director.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #75
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
A lot of preemptive complaining about SN coverage, but close to a lock is after the regional broadcasts are complete every single frigin Flames game this season will be on TV. Not sure what more people want? Flames have the lowest number of National games right now for two reasons: one, small market (just like all the other Canadian teams not Tor, MTL, or Van), and two everyone is expecting us not not be in the hunt at the end, so they are hedging their schedule for national coverage on the teams that they think will be chasing at the end. Seems completely fair to me, I'd do the same thing if I were a programming director.
This thread is full of outdated information from June.

The Flames announced their full national and regional schedule last week, and there will be 32 games available nationally: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729268
Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #76
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, part of the pre-emptive complaining of Sportsnet's coverage was due to ambiguous advertising of the new schedule. Sportsnet was gloating with the fanfare that came with the new schedule and that had many fans thinking that all Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday games would be televised nation wide.

Second of all, the small market reason is not satisfactory. Calgary and Ottawa are very close in population, yet the Senators would get five to eight more national games. Vancouver is the larger than either of the two cities mentioned, but, the Canucks would have approximately the same number of national games as the Flames.
The Senators are also not perennial playoff contenders.

Last edited by hwy19man; 09-02-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #77
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame^thrower View Post
I personally won't miss the TSN games, because of 2 things. I could assemble a team of beer drinking, non-hockey playing buddies for the first game against Toronto and sure as hell we would take them to overtime to delay the Flames broadcast. Seemed like every time it would happen!
Bingo on the OT/SO delay, it was bloody ridiculous!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #78
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This thread is full of outdated information from June.

The Flames announced their full national and regional schedule last week, and there will be 32 games available nationally: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729268
That's one of the links I posted 3 posts up from yours.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #79
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of preemptive complaining about SN coverage...
Like hwy19man said, many of us got caught up in the idea that there would be no regional restrictions for all canadian teams games on the 3 national nights. Complaining seems fair to me because the amount of national games did not increase when the schedule first came out. There were also lots of us, including me, who didn't read the 2nd to last paragraph in those June press releases. It said that, "Additional national game broadcasts will be announced in the coming weeks, including more U.S. /U.S. match-ups to be available Wednesday nights on Sportsnet ONE, Thursday nights on Sportsnet 360, Sunday afternoons (starting mid-January) on Sportsnet, as well as other weeknight dates." Sure enough, that has happened and last Thursday, Rogers added 10 more national games involving the Flames.