Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #621
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the second time IIRC that someone's entertained the idea of trading away the 2015 1st seriously and the second time that a handful of facepalming CP'ers jumping to explain the obvious reasoning of it being a horrible idea.

I will be super happy if no one on this forum ever suggests such a silly notion again until midway through next season, please and thank you
Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #622
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be twisted out of shape if we did that trade. A sure thing in Ekblad or Reinhart. Burke did something the same in TO, so it's a possibility.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #623
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Burke says he is unlikely to trade up... hasn't watched Bennett

The only guy I would trade it for would be ekblad. If you can get first overall for an undetermined first rounder, you have to take it. That said there is no way Florida trades first overall for a future first round pick. Imagine if the flames make the playoffs next year...Florida would lose their 8 fans.
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snipetype For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #624
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I wouldn't be twisted out of shape if we did that trade. A sure thing in Ekblad or Reinhart. Burke did something the same in TO, so it's a possibility.
Burke has said he didn't expect the picks to be where they were when he made the trade. He's also said he'd do the trade again in a heartbeat, but it's hard to think he would sacrifice a big part of the future again when it's clear he knows we are aways a away from being competitive and additionally no prospect in the draft is considered a nailed on franchise player OR had the pedigree Kessel did in the NHL.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #625
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
Burke has said he didn't expect the picks to be where they were when he made the trade. He's also said he'd do the trade again in a heartbeat, but it's hard to think he would sacrifice a big part of the future again when it's clear he knows we are aways a away from being competitive and additionally no prospect in the draft is considered a nailed on franchise player OR had the pedigree Kessel did in the NHL.

If Burke would trade kessel for Seguin and Hamilton again we are doomed.
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #626
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
The only guy I would trade it for would be ekblad. If you can get first overall for an undetermined first rounder, you have to take it. That said there is no way Florida trades first overall for a future first round pick. Imagine if the flames make the playoffs next year...Florida would lose their 8 fans.
Quote:
Then why the hell did you make the first post minutes earlier?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #627
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No, he didn't. Kessel was already a great young NHLer, coming off a 36 goal, 24 assist season. Ekblad and Reinhart are great prospects, but they have not proven anything at the NHL level.

Last edited by DOOM; 04-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #628
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
In 2011 - (he does admit the Bruins won the trade because they have a ring but goes on to say...
Quote:
When people ask: Would we make the trade again? I say, 'In a heartbeat,'" Burke said. “I don’t care about the other team. I think Phil is a great player for us and he’s showing it.
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...94626/32844140

A month ago:
Quote:
So we paid a high price, we felt we got the value back, and I don’t think there’s anyone who would argue it now.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...de-over-again/
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #629
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
You trade next year's pick and you're trading your only ever shot at a generational talent like McDavid. Whether he's the next Crosby or Gretzky or the next Spezza or Lindros, it doesn't matter. The only chance we'll have in my lifetime to get a player with that pedigree is by having a pick in the 1st round of the 2015 entry draft. That pick is untouchable in my opinion.
We had a shot in 2013 but finished too strong. Heck Feaster tried to trade all 3 picks to get MacKinnon.

If he was 3 weeks younger he is a 2014 pick. That kid has completely lived up to the hype
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #630
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Spezza? He's a good center, but is not in the same tier as the other guys. (nor is Lindros, but injuries played a part in that)
Lindros sure was. Injuries cut his career short but he was a beast when he was healthy.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #631
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he didn't. Kessel was already a great young NHLer, coming off a 36 goal, 24 assist season. Ekblad and Reinhart are great prospects, but they have not proven anything at the NHL level.
Yumpin Yiminy, tough crowd or do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

He traded for help now in exchange for futures. If he made the trade he'd have to be convinced that Ekblad and Reinhart are about as sure as you can get for making the NHL next season.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #632
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lindros sure was. Injuries cut his career short but he was a beast when he was healthy.
Agreed, he was a beast when healthy, however, imo, the injuries keep him out of the Gretzky/Crosby tier.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #633
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yumpin Yiminy, tough crowd or do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

He traded for help now in exchange for futures. If he made the trade he'd have to be convinced that Ekblad and Reinhart are about as sure as you can get for making the NHL next season.
That's not what you said at all in your post....but alrighty..
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #634
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lindros was better tha Spezza, but he was nowhere near a guy like Crosby, let alone a Gretzky.

Crosbys PPG Avg is considerably higher than any player in the NHL over the past number of years.

Lindros was in a group of guys like Jagr and Sakic that we every bit as good as he was. He may never even make the hall of fame. If Sid retired today he would go in on the first ballot.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #635
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not what you said at all in your post....but alrighty..
It is what I said, I said it was "something the same". You know, not exactly the same but the same general idea or are you just being a jerk.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #636
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It is what I said, I said it was "something the same". You know, not exactly the same but the same general idea or are you just being a jerk.
I thought you were talking about the idea of trading our 2015 1st for "sure thing in Ekblad/Reinhart" Sorry for the confusion.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOOM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #637
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Lindros was better tha Spezza, but he was nowhere near a guy like Crosby, let alone a Gretzky.

Crosbys PPG Avg is considerably higher than any player in the NHL over the past number of years.

Lindros was in a group of guys like Jagr and Sakic that we every bit as good as he was. He may never even make the hall of fame. If Sid retired today he would go in on the first ballot.
I disagree, Lindros brought a whole other physical element along with his skill that no other player has brought since.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #638
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Trading next years 1st round pick is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. IMO, it's a lock to be a top 10, and probable that it's a top 5, with a top 3 being very realistic.

I loved the work ethic of this team this past year, but lets be realistic. We're going to be even younger next season, and we're losing our 1st line LW. There are going to be growing pains over the next couple years... just be patient.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #639
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Burke said at a breakfast seminar that "next years draft is very important" ... I doubt he/ new GM trades that pick.
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #640
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Back from lawyer'ing and banging your model girlfriend already?
Haha thanks for posting this as it led me to that fantastic thread.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote