Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #581
Hank Hill
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
I disagree. Jones > ekblad. Drouin > Reinhart. Barkov > draisatl. Monahan > dal colle. Zadorov, ristolainen > fleury. Nichuskin. The top of the other draft was better. No doubt about it.
The prospects this year just have more question marks.

Where does Bennett fit in?
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #582
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not saying I'm on board with this but it is an interesting question.
would anybody trade next years 1st round draft pick (supposed to be a good draft) for buffalo's first round pick this year.?

This would give buffalo a shot at McDavid (because honestly are they going to get any better). So unless we when the lottery there isn't a possibility, assuming calgary is better next year.

If this trade is made you would get Ekbald and one of the vastly discussed forwards. The downfall is if you happen to be bottom two next year it would look like a bad trade.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #583
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a woman who went to school in Hanna with MacDonald, she hates Lanny. I found it amusing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #584
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I'm not saying I'm on board with this but it is an interesting question.
would anybody trade next years 1st round draft pick (supposed to be a good draft) for buffalo's first round pick this year.?

This would give buffalo a shot at McDavid (because honestly are they going to get any better). So unless we when the lottery there isn't a possibility, assuming calgary is better next year.

If this trade is made you would get Ekbald and one of the vastly discussed forwards. The downfall is if you happen to be bottom two next year it would look like a bad trade.
We definitely shouldn't be trading next years 1st.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #585
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
We definitely shouldn't be trading next years 1st.
can you explain your reasoning. As I said I'm not necessarily on board with this. But you would have to estimate where you think you would perform next year and what you think that draft pick would be. Factor in the odds of the lottery, as it is assumed that we wouldn't make the playoffs. Then measure if that chance of getting a good pick this year (1st in this thought process) is better than getting a decent pick next year.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #586
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
And I am a believer tat size is determined by wheight not height. Force is mass times acceleration. Not height times acceleration.
Back from lawyer'ing and banging your model girlfriend already?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #587
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
can you explain your reasoning. As I said I'm not necessarily on board with this. But you would have to estimate where you think you would perform next year and what you think that draft pick would be. Factor in the odds of the lottery, as it is assumed that we wouldn't make the playoffs. Then measure if that chance of getting a good pick this year (1st in this thought process) is better than getting a decent pick next year.
Because our pick next year is going to be a legit chance to get someone better. I don't expect this team to be any better next year. Burke himself has already admitted it's going to be a high pick next year.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #588
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I know a woman who went to school in Hanna with MacDonald, she hates Lanny. I found it amusing.
I'm not lanny's biggest fan either, but that was due to playing against his kid in Junior when Lanny was the coach. He didn't really like me either due to the fact I kept beating up his players.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #589
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Back from lawyer'ing and banging your model girlfriend already?
Don't forget physicsing.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #590
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Burke flat out said he didn't like him, it would be a quick reversal in thinking if he already changed his mind. I don't think it's impossible for the Flames to draft Draisaitl but I would be surprised if it did happen. I believe Burke would prefer to draft a North American as well if the assessment between the two are close. Dal Colle would be a good pick up, I just hope he plays center in junior next season. The Flames don't need anymore LWers.
Yeah Burke did say that but in the next week he then said the German kid is right up there with the other top 3 players in the draft. I think maybe he either was sending mixed signals to other GMs or was misinformed on just how good this kids is and his scouts may have brought him up to date a bit there. Anyhow, if he is on the board I think we have to take him, he has the skill, size, weight, puck control and aggression that we need on this team.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #591
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I #### my model girlfriend too. Unfortunately she's a model for industrial chemical disaster victims
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #592
snipetype
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
Where does Bennett fit in?

Whoops. Well I think he's right there with Reinhart, dal colle and draisatl. All Of the top prospects are just a teir down from last year in my opinion.
Each prospect has question marks.
Draisatl - game breaking speed, consistency
Dal colle- has to prove he can do more that just put up points
Reinhart- mediocre shot
Bennett- still a little small for the gritty game he plays.

Jones was considered the best d prospect to come along in quite some time and I still feel he will be an absolute superstar.
Mackinnon is the next big thing.
Barkov was the best draft eligible Finnish prospect.
Lindholm was outstanding in Sweden and considered the best Swedish forward prospect since the Sedins.
Drouin is the definition of dynamic.
Monahan was the complete forward that was considered a lock to be a future captain.
snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #593
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Sounds like the stuff I've heard about Dion from people who went to school with him.
I don't know about school, but my brother met him (working retail at a clothing store Downtown for a summer job years ago) and said he's the biggest ######-hat + Man-baby he's ever met by a wide margin. He apparently was also whining the clothes were too expensive ($70 a shirt). While true, this is coming from a guy who at the time drove a Masarati wasn't the most convincing comment that day. My brother said he basically pouted in the corner while his gf was looking for clothes for him.

Contrarily, I was told that his gf at the time (Elisha Cuthbert?) was very cordial with staff, took pictures with them and extended nothing but kindness and patience for both mixups from staff and Phaneuf's Man-baby act. One can only hope Elisha Cuthbert has sorted him out.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #594
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And I am a believer tat size is determined by wheight not height. Force is mass times acceleration. Not height times acceleration.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #595
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's really pretty simple. We're going to be bad next year. Rolling the dice and guessing that we might be 21-25th bad instead of 26-30th bad is a terrible idea when there's a generational talent available next draft.

Horrible idea to deal next year's first.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #596
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
It's really pretty simple. We're going to be bad next year. Rolling the dice and guessing that we might be 21-25th bad instead of 26-30th bad is a terrible idea when there's a generational talent available next draft.

Horrible idea to deal next year's first.
Not only McDavid but also Eichel (sp?) and that Dman whose name escapes me right now. Very good players at the top. On top of that, the rumbling about them considering doing lottery for the first three picks is even more of an incentive incase they go that route.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #597
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Not only McDavid but also Eichel (sp?) and that Dman whose name escapes me right now. Very good players at the top. On top of that, the rumbling about them considering doing lottery for the first three picks is even more of an incentive incase they go that route.
Noah Hanifin
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #598
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Because our pick next year is going to be a legit chance to get someone better. I don't expect this team to be any better next year. Burke himself has already admitted it's going to be a high pick next year.
I don't think they will get worse. Flames will probably pick in 5-10 range in the 2015 draft and there is always the chance that the Flames surprise us.

So is the player available next year in that space worth a bona-fide NHL player available this year with BUFs pick?

I'd do CGY 2015 1st for BUF 2014 1st and see if they will add a prospect or young roster player. But I don't think you will convince anyone in the NHL that Flames will finish worse in 2015 than in 2014.

If Calgary gets Bennet or Ekblad with BUF 2014 1st they are probably going to have a few really good rookies next year (Johnny Hockey, Poirier). Maybe we get Flames playoff hockey with a super fast and hard working team in 2015.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 04-23-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #599
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel has 5 points in 4 games so far at the Under 18s, Hanifin has 4 points in 4 games (and i have seen tweets about him looking better than Seth Jones did at a similar age in the tourney).

Although Sonny Milano (they list him as Frank on the IIHF site) leads their team in scoring with 6 points. He's ranked 16th by Central Scouting in North America. Boston College committed player although if he's drafted high he could end up in the OHL.

Last edited by PeteMoss; 04-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #600
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the 5-10 spots you have to look to for the Flames.

This team is getting better, not worse. There is zero chance they will get any of the first three players unless they extend the lottery.

If Hanifin is better than Jones, does that mean he would be better than Ekblad with a full NHL season under his belt?

I don't think BUF will trade this year's first - but they seem committed to being terrible. Playing the long con I guess.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote