Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #61
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Technically the right answer would be Gillies, because that would have to mean that he's lights out in camp and stole the starter's position.

Chose Darling. Relatively inexpensive and I think can be as good as any option there.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #62
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's intriguing as I thought he battled hard every night despite playing behind a sad sack team but assuming he could instantly come in and be a consistent starting goaltender for a team that fancies itself as a playoff team may require a leap of faith. I would be totally fine with him as the backup if the cost is low.
One luxury that the Flames do potentially have is they can go and acquire a backup and protect that player for the expansion draft. They don't necessarily have to set the target at that bonafide number one. They could certainly trade for a Pickard and than still shop after the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #63
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, the mention of Mike Smith is a really intriguing option if his cap number of 5.6 for 2 more years is workable. Perhaps they'd retain salary for draft picks.

We hope Gillies or Parsons are ready in 2-3 years and Smith has been solid behind an awful team. I'd prefer to find a goalie who played well behind a bad team, than bring in a backup goalie from a great team.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 04-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #64
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Ryan Miller has had a few impressive seasons playing in Vancouver now, but he is already nearly 37-years-old. I would be very concerned about how much he has left in him, and also am not keen on adding a +35 contract.
Should age for a goalie matter for us anymore? We need a goalie who can win and if he's 42 it doesn't matter to me. We're not grooming him for the future.

The most important thing to me would be contract length of no more than 2 years so we can move to Gillies/Parsons if they become the guy and if they pull a Hiller/Elliott we're not stuck.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #65
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha, that scenario isn't realistic at all.
Oh? What do you think they'd want for their young star tender?

Stajan and Brouwer at half salary? Lol. Of course they'd demand future back.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #66
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I would like to do is acquire both a good young goalie via trade and sign a guy like Darling or Bishop.

Say you can get any of Pickard, Grubauer, Korpisalo in trade for a relative bargain, then you have a good backup.

Then you sign one of the UFA goalies, have them split time with the new goalie, and allow Gillies another year in Stockton.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #67
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Oh? What do you think they'd want for their young star tender?

Stajan and Brouwer at half salary? Lol. Of course they'd demand future back.
They might ask for Gaudreau, then there would likely be a quiet pause on the phone, followed shortly by laughing from both ends of the line.

"hahaha almost had you Tre"
"haha yeah i thought you went nuts for a minute"

Nobody is going to give up a 23 year old already proven top line forward for a young goalie, especially a goalie who just had as bad a year Mrazek just did.

To my recollection it's never happened, it sure as heck wouldn't happen in this case either.

They for sure would demand future back, but more along the lines of picks/prospects. Not our 23 year old leading scorer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #68
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

It would be great if Gillies could play the # 1 role, freeing up $ for other needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #69
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't get why everyone seems to want Bishop. He's way too expensive and will want term not to mention he's probably another Brouwer. Flames can't afford another expensive UFA looking for a retirement deal
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #70
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
They might ask for Gaudreau, then there would likely be a quiet pause on the phone, followed shortly by laughing from both ends of the line.

"hahaha almost had you Tre"
"haha yeah i thought you went nuts for a minute"

Nobody is going to give up a 23 year old already proven top line forward for a young goalie, especially a goalie who just had as bad a year Mrazek just did.

To my recollection it's never happened, it sure as heck wouldn't happen in this case either.

They for sure would demand future back, but more along the lines of picks/prospects. Not our 23 year old leading scorer.
Keep in mind Gaudreau also had his worst NHL season. Teams like Pitts with Murray would be asking for the same return. Mrazek isn't outside the quality of Murray, and I guarantee you they wouldn't accept Bennett, or Backlund as a return. Tkachuk would be probable.

The Flames really don't have any other pieces to offer for Mrazek unless delving into their top 3 D.

The Flames would be buying, and in this scenario, it's a seller's market knowing their needs.

Last edited by saXon; 04-25-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #71
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I don't get why everyone seems to want Bishop. He's way too expensive and will want term not to mention he's probably another Brouwer. Flames can't afford another expensive UFA looking for a retirement deal
It's either that or gamble another season on backups/unproven starters.

It's not like the Flames have a Carey Price waiting in the wings Gillies/Parsons may or may not become quality NHL goalies, and the Flames need a quality starting goalie now. They are burning daylight on the contracts of their top players. Besides Tkachuk they are all getting paid. The time to wait and build is over, they need to start getting results.

Having a goalie capable of giving them at least average goal tending would help the team quite a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #72
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In what possible way is he probably another Brouwer? Because he'll be expensive and just turned 30? Who cares, he keeps the biscuit outta the basket.

Last edited by btimbit; 04-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #73
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Keep in mind Gaudreau also had his worst NHL season. Teams like Pitts with Murray would be asking for the same return. Mrazek isn't outside the quality of Murray, and I guarantee you they wouldn't accept Bennett, or Backlund as a return. Tkachuk would be probable.

The Flames really don't have any other pieces to offer for Mrazek unless delving into their top 3 D.

Keep in mind, the Flames are buying, and in this scenario, it's a seller's market knowing their needs.
Flames 100% will not give up Gaudreau to get Mrazek.

100% it would never happen

They would get a different goalie if that was Detroit's asking price. It's a soft goalie market even with everyone knowing the Flames needs no one is going to have them over a barrel because there are a lot of goalies to pick from this off season and NONE of them are going to cost us Gaudreau.

Frankly I can't believe I'm even having this conversation.

It's ridiculous.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
In what possible way is he probably another Brouwer? .
Not physical enough. Doesn't fit as expected on the first or second lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #75
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im not saying they would.

It's the ask for a Murray or a Mrazek. That's the conversation

Old 04-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #76
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I totally agree. I don't think we can expect Bishop to dish out a lot of hits, start fights, or score more than 13 goals in a season.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #77
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
In what possible way is he probably another Brouwer? Because he'll be expensive and just turned 30? Who cares, he keeps the biscuit outta the basket.

Personally I see Bishop as a little bit taller, better puck handling, goalie pad wearing version of Joe Colborne.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #78
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked Darling. You don't have to give up assets to get him and he should accept a reasonable 3 or 4 year deal. Spending a lot of money on a #1 goalie like Bishop coming off a bad year is too risky. If Bishop craps the bed you can kiss your chances of a Cup goodbye for the duration of his contract. Fleury isn't any better than Elliot and I don't see why Fleury would waive his NMC for any team. His agent will tell him to let the Penguins buy him out so he can any sign with any team he wants.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #79
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think there’s a chance Bishop signs for 1, 2 or 3 years. Minimum he asks for is 4 and I bet he pushes for 5 or 6 (like was rumoured last summer). Maybe with his struggles this past year a 4 year deal is the best he can get. We can only hope.

With that in mind if you can get Bishop for 4 years or less you make that deal and run. Anything over that is a little long assuming you have some faith that Gillies or Parsons is going to pan out.

If Bishop pushed for a 5 or 6 year deal then who knows what you do. Elliot for 2 more years or maybe Fleury for the 2 years left on his contract and then pray Gillies is ready?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #80
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Voted Grubauer. Guy's stats have been deadly in every league for 5 consecutive years, and he'll be 26 to start next season.

Won't stop me from being concerned should we get him though. How do you know how a goaltender will respond to a 2x increase in GP? I guess you don't.
Closed Thread