Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #381
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Not to mention Engelland, the rest of the 4th line, Stajan (at least while with the Flames), etc.

The top guys haven't performed up to expectation, that has been driven home ad nauseum. Lot's of reasons for that, but I doubt one of them is because GG doesn't act like Orval Tessier behind the bench (that one is for you oldtimers!)
Patrick Roy for the kids in the room.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #382
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Not to mention Engelland, the rest of the 4th line, Stajan (at least while with the Flames), etc.

The top guys haven't performed up to expectation, that has been driven home ad nauseum. Lot's of reasons for that, but I doubt one of them is because GG doesn't act like Orval Tessier behind the bench (that one is for you oldtimers!)
Engelland I thought has been good the last couple of seasons. Stajan had a bit of a down year offensively last season, but he isn't on track to really out-perform his previous few seasons.

Ferland has definitely taken a step forward, but that may be due to simply being a rookie last year.

Stajan in particular has stood out this season because of Monahan getting out of the gate so slowly, and Bennett not taking as big of a step as we were hoping for.

I thought Hamilton was great last season, at least after his initial start. I think he is at (or perhaps a bit better) than last season.

Giordano and Brodie seem to have taken a big step back, but I think the system really has changed the way these guys play more than anyone else on the team, as under Hartley they seemed much more relaxed to free-wheel out there than this year. Wideman has taken a huge step forward from last year, but he seems to be a "Great one season, poor the next, followed by another good season" type of player.

At any rate, the team does seem to be improving their play all around, and players that were doing really poorly are also starting to come around, and that is what I want to see more than anything.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #383
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I don't think he's hanging his head in shame, I just wouldn't count on him to deliver a stirring speech to fire up the troops when they need to either hold the line or tie the game.

Hockey is an emotional game. Gulutzan needs to be able to inspire. How often would you say the team has played inspired hockey this year?
McGuire talked about motivation yesterday on his daily bit on TSN radio in Montreal. States emphatically that motivation comes from within the room, peer to peer. That a coach can inspire motivation in game from time to time, but otherwise comes from inside the roster.
Unprepared is on the coaching staff, uninspired is on the players themselves.
This makes very logical sense to me.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #384
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default What are your thoughts on Glen Gulutzan's system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Patrick Roy for the kids in the room.

Say, he was an emotional and animated coach. If only Gulutzen were more like Patrick Roy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #385
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Say, he was an emotional and animated coach. If only Gulutzen were more like Patrick Roy!
I take you are a "I don't need no stinking green text" guy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #386
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am so scared to say this for fear of throwing a jinx on everything but I think the system is starting to make sense. It's not Bob Hartley, "stretch pass for a breakaway/odd man rush" exciting but I think it might actually be sustainable. This system takes a lot of what Treliving called "40 foot putts" out of the equation. I can live with less exciting and more winning if this is what it takes to get there.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #387
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I am so scared to say this for fear of throwing a jinx on everything but I think the system is starting to make sense. It's not Bob Hartley, "stretch pass for a breakaway/odd man rush" exciting but I think it might actually be sustainable. This system takes a lot of what Treliving called "40 foot putts" out of the equation. I can live with less exciting and more winning if this is what it takes to get there.
The lack of "excitement" over the past dozen games or so has had a lot to do with individual players and not the system. Last night was a pretty damn entertaining game—when the Flames offensive players are clicking, this is a dangerous team.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #388
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What it looks like to me is that the team is finally able to play more than one type of hockey.

They can shut it down and play a tight defensive game if need by after going up by a few goals and it looks like if some of their structured special teams continue to pay off that they will be able to start making teams pay for taking penalties against them which should help with the offense problems.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #389
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you are starting to see the reason Treliving wanted to make the coaches change. He mentioned in a interview is that the Flames were now playing a system that successful teams employ (contenders). Keeping the old system doesn't help this team long term trying to take that next step. There looks like there was a bit of a learning curve, but if you want the Flames to take that next step in the NHL than the change needed to be made.

I think the thread that showed the breakdown of the games through the first 1/3 of the season shows the progress that has been made transitioning the playing style.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #390
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

but I thought the guy was supposed to be fired in the first week of November? That couldn't have been an overreaction could it?
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #391
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
but I thought the guy was supposed to be fired in the first week of November? That couldn't have been an overreaction could it?
Patience is a virtue...it would appear a good number of us lack it.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #392
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nah.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #393
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Nah.
At least I haven't been called a company man in a few weeks for suggesting that a group of reasonably intelligent management types probably know what they were hiring when they settled on Gulutzan.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #394
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Patience is a virtue...it would appear a good number of us lack it.
This is a good lesson for a lot of posters. Primarily speaking: mid-November following a dramatic change to the team's personnel, structure or dynamic is NOT a good team to make even more major changes.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #395
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we don't suck again.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #396
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
At least I haven't been called a company man in a few weeks for suggesting that a group of reasonably intelligent management types probably know what they were hiring when they settled on Gulutzan.
I wasn't the one lobbing insults and accusations, but I was definitely in the group that wanted a completely new coaching staff. I still do.

I don't like the strategies they employ on the special teams, especially passively leaving the net front forward alone on the PK and having our D act as an extra player goalie instead. And, I don't think we've seen anything from Cameron that suggests he was, or ever will be, a good PP coach.

As for GG, I'm still not a supporter. I don't like the D pairs. I question the lines often. At this point, I'm thinking our recent success comes from Johnson playing incredibly well, not because of some brilliant systems that are now working.

Maybe I'm wrong.... but if I am I hope I'm completely wrong. Whoever our coach is for the next 2 seasons has to be one good enough to make us legitimate contenders. Average or adequate won't do.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #397
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Brodie goes into norris form watch out. Its only early December if he can get going soon we will make the playoffs easily.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #398
Knut

Exp:

I think you are already seeing the Dmen activate much more now than at the start of the season. At the beginning they were likely holding back as they learned the newer system. I can see the offense improving as Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton start joining the rush more.

The other thing i have noticed is that the short neutral zone passes the team employs are really opening up some extra space for a zone entry. It probably took awhile for the players to learn to be in the right position to accept those passes. I think this will create more on the fly opportunities vs. the start of the season.

Now, Get rid of the PP back pass and I will be happy.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #399
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I do feel better about the Gulutzan hiring.

Can I still complain about Cameron and ask that he be fired?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #400
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, we're 25 games in and I still don't like the system. I still don't understand why he's employing the break out that he is and the special teams still blow goats. I still think the defensive zone coverage is this side of a Chinese fire drill. There are lots of problem with the system and some of his decisions.

Having said that, if you had told me at the start of the year that we would be .500 at this point, after that brutal start, and only be three points behind the Oilers, who have had a very easy schedule so far, and three points out of the division lead, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote