Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Brad Treliving has done a good job in his 2.5 seasons in Calgary?
Yes 664 86.46%
No 104 13.54%
Voters: 768. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #81
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
No they weren't.
They kind of were. Boomer came back on and talked about what a show they were having, with Rhett's rant etc and suggested the listeners podcast it if they missed anything. They weren't specifically singling out the Friedman segment but the show overall.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #82
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

What the ####?

What is wrong with this organization?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #83
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Treliving certainly isn't perfect, but I would imagine he's far better than any feasible alternative. I mean who exactly are we going to replace him with? Another unproven young GM? Maloney? I just don't see how booting Tre would improve anything.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #84
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be strange for ownership to be so impatient, given the fact that the general fanbase is still seemingly okay with the way the overall rebuild is going...(or am I completely wrong on this?)

Taking a "wait-and-see" approach to this news...maybe things are mostly related to Treliving's contract situation, rather than overall vision for the rebuild...
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #85
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Owners make it really hard to continue to cheer for this team.

Not renewing treliving would be such a Flames thing to do.

Is there a Sutter out there that needs a job or something?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #86
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could never believe a man like Burke could relinquish the helm of being the puppet master. The guy HAS to toot his own horn every time he's in front of a mic.

I'm not all surprised by this.

Last edited by MarkGio; 01-23-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Wrong name...
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #87
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

added a poll and made it simple

didn't want to poll if people thought it was a good idea to go another way or not as I think guys would vote no but base that more on timing than an evaluation.

I'm thumbs down if they did this, makes you a mickey mouse franchise if you can't trust yourself to hire the right people and then let them do their jobs. Asinine.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #88
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I could never believe a man like Treliving could relinquish the helm of being the puppet master. The guy HAS to toot his own horn every time he's in front of a mic.

I'm not all surprised by this.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #89
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks for adding the poll.

I'd have preferred a slightly different question though. "should the flames extend Treliving as flames GM?".

I don't think many, if any, GMs can be judged as a boolean "yes/no".....

For me personally, my answer to the current question as it is, is neither yes/no, but likely right in the middle. Yet, i do not think letting him go is a good idea (ie. i won't vote "yes" for this poll, yet, i do want him to be extended).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #90
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
It would be strange for ownership to be so impatient, given the fact that the general fanbase is still seemingly okay with the way the overall rebuild is going...(or am I completely wrong on this?)
This is an ownership group that always seems to get it backwards. When it's painfully obvious to everyone that the team needs to be blown up, they hold out for half a decade trying to chase a dream that never was. And when it's time to be patient, they scramble around frantically looking for quick fixes.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #91
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised by the news. I think he made a major mistake with replacing Hartley with a glorified assistant coach (this team needs an elite coach) but I also think he's been pretty sound in his roster management and trades overall. I think he deserves a chance to get this right.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #92
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I voted Yes. I just think the coaching part has been a disaster.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #93
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hey, remember when Stay Golden called Treliving "slime"?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #94
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Overall I'm happy with him. As noted the roster management has been solid. Few bad contracts that didn't hurt the team. Coaching, up in the air. Drafting, hit and miss but ultimately who knows at this point.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #95
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
As to the comment about the clown show moving south, we had the clown show here already with Feaster/Weisbrod. Given the recurrence, the problem may be higher than GM level, in which case we are doomed...
I'm getting a really unpleasant feeling that Murray Edwards may be the problem. If that's the case then, yes, we're screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
A GM's job should always be to build a Stanley Cup winner, not to "get them into the playoffs". Building teams to get into the playoffs is how we wasted half a decade.

I'm also not a fan of hearing that the Flames are "unique in how they do things". This is not an organization that has a good enough track record for that to be a positive.
Yep. That's why I'm worried the issue is Edwards - a businessman with a massive ego who is used to doing things his own way. 'His own way' has worked in the energy industry. But considering his meddling may well go all the way back to putting off a rebuild trying to win a cup with Iginla for too many years, I'd say his own way when it comes to hockey has a terrible track record.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #96
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brian Burke said when he hired Treliving that young GM's need to "learn from their mistakes that young GM's make" (or words to that effect.

He hasn't made any major blunders*, in my opinion, so unless there is something going on with Treliving that the Flames really don't like, then I don't see how they can rid of so easily.

*I'm not sure yet if the coaching change was/is a big mistake.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #97
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
This is an ownership group that always seems to get it backwards. When it's painfully obvious to everyone that the team needs to be blown up, they hold out for half a decade trying to chase a dream that never was. And when it's time to be patient, they scramble around frantically looking for quick fixes.
I tend to agree. In fact, it could be argued that it was the fan base clamoring for the "blow-up" long before the ownership group actually did it. So, maybe they continue to be out-of-touch-with and/or disregard the fan base's current sentiments.

Too bad, because I actually see a viable foundation with this team in terms of both core players and playing structure, going forward.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #98
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted yes, only issues I can really hang on him are Glue Gun, burying Raymond and Bollig and the three headed goalie monster last season. Far more positive moves than negative ones though.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
thanks for adding the poll.

I'd have preferred a slightly different question though. "should the flames extend Treliving as flames GM?".

I don't think many, if any, GMs can be judged as a boolean "yes/no".....

For me personally, my answer to the current question as it is, is neither yes/no, but likely right in the middle. Yet, i do not think letting him go is a good idea (ie. i won't vote "yes" for this poll, yet, i do want him to be extended).
Funny I went the other way for the exact opposite reason. I want it simple yes or no.

I think you can be anti-Treliving but not want him gassed because it makes the franchise look unstable.

But if you select yes in this poll, you certainly wouldn't let him go.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #100
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Just to add some context, he said he's "not 100% convinced Treliving will be back".

Said Calgary is comfortable letting his contract expire, then look at it. Most (if not all) other teams don't work that way, but Calgary does.
Exactly.

I listened to the entire piece this morning and I did not interpret anything that Elliott said as ‘Treliving will not be back” or ‘Treliving might not be back”.

Thread title is 100% misleading.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post: