Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #2141
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Only for a moment!!
This is funny because it is true
Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #2142
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I share an office with a 29 year old female colleague. I can't wait to get my chode sweat saturated chamois on display.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #2143
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ but if the situation was reversed.......
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #2144
carbonrod
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
My biggest piece of advice is enjoy the weather in the evenings by sitting on your deck or step and practice changing the tube in your tire. The last thing you want is to spend a bunch of time fumbling around when a bit of practice can have you knock it out in less than five mins.

Carry two extra tubes, a wrench and some tire levers.
Instead of tirelevers, take a long shoelace, or piece of paracord. Wrap this around the axle and use it to pul the tire on/off. Levers are ok for off as your tube is already pooched, but for on, use the string as it will be less likely to cause a pinchflat, and it is faster to get a tight tire on.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonrod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #2145
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dish soap works well for changing tires and basic metal levers optional but with soap you can do it without levers
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #2146
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For cyclists getting caught by the Stanley Park path closure, I'd suggest taking the Elbow Park pedestrian bridge across and then cutting through there until 32nd and meeting up with the pathway there before getting to 2nd St (or wherever you're going). Should be easier than taking that detour until the path opens back up.

I really, REALLY wish they could get the 5th street cycle track all the way to the pathway, but taking away the parking would not fly with Mission/Cliff Bungalow sadly. Would be a real game changer (though the 5th St Cycle Track will still be the most important one).
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #2147
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
For cyclists getting caught by the Stanley Park path closure, I'd suggest taking the Elbow Park pedestrian bridge across and then cutting through there until 32nd and meeting up with the pathway there before getting to 2nd St (or wherever you're going). Should be easier than taking that detour until the path opens back up.

I really, REALLY wish they could get the 5th street cycle track all the way to the pathway, but taking away the parking would not fly with Mission/Cliff Bungalow sadly. Would be a real game changer (though the 5th St Cycle Track will still be the most important one).

The detour isn't much of a detour at all though and is a fun section of single track for a few hundred meters.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #2148
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonrod View Post
Instead of tirelevers, take a long shoelace, or piece of paracord. Wrap this around the axle and use it to pul the tire on/off. Levers are ok for off as your tube is already pooched, but for on, use the string as it will be less likely to cause a pinchflat, and it is faster to get a tight tire on.
this tip was mentioned previously in this thread and i wonder how hard it is to thread the shoelace thru a tire and tube that is already seated - especially when the tire is tight and even moreso when the tire is wide?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #2149
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
this tip was mentioned previously in this thread and i wonder how hard it is to thread the shoelace thru a tire and tube that is already seated - especially when the tire is tight and even moreso when the tire is wide?
I'm the one who posted it earlier. It's not to hard to thread it through, takes a little bit of wiggling but ya, you do need to push the bead and tube from once side of the rim to the other. Basically push the lace under, then shift it and pull the lace out the other side.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #2150
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm so jealous of this thread now. Knee is wrecked, and I just can't ride if I can't go all out. I am pacifying myself with motorcycles now, bought 3 so far this year, but pedal power is still my first 2 wheeled love affair.

F'ing sucks, so much awesome stuff coming along now with electric shifting, disks on road bikes, carbon everything is dirt cheap compared to even 5 years ago. It's a crappy time to be crippled.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #2151
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I'm so jealous of this thread now. Knee is wrecked, and I just can't ride if I can't go all out.
Dial it back and just cruise man!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #2152
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That sucks about the knee. I know you draw a big, thick line between bikes and motorbikes... but my little sister is also a bicycle purist who had a lat collateral and a meniscus done last spring. I built her a pedelec (and thanks again to combustable for the links) for her rehab... It definitely made her less crazy to be able to peddle at 50% power and climb without flaring things up. Ever considered it? She is now fully back to being an insane vancouver rain or shine commuter.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #2153
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonrod View Post
There's a good demo on youtube for this. I've got some Rhyolite rims that have caused more than a few blood vessels to pop out of my forehead when mounting/dismounting tires. If I'm in the field, I'm unlikely to have dish soap in my bag, but a shoelace'll make a nice addition!!

Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #2154
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the trail a shoelace can come in handy for a rear cassette repair as you may be able to lace the cassette to the spokes if the Paul's break and then pedal gently.

Also a lace does not weigh much or take up much space.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #2155
Bike Commuter Dude
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you need suits you can get something like this:
http://www.twowheelgear.com/
I'm fortunate and don't have to wear one, so just leave shoes at the office and bring pant's/shirts in my backpack. Riding gear...that totally depends on weather. I am only a few blocks from MEC, so I tend to buy what I think I need, and as the weather changes, add on to my supply. Hands cold? Buy warmer gloves. Shorts not cutting it? But some leg warmers. Best to start small and add on what you need as you go, rather than buying one of everything!

If you go the backpack route, I highly recommenced the Deuter ones that keep the bag off your back for airflow. Really reduces sweating. MEC carries them.

Good on you for giving it a go!
Nice! Thanks for the commenting on our bag Fuzz! I actually own Two Wheel Gear and designed the Classic 2.0 Garment Pannier in Calgary commuting back and forth on the Bow River Pathway. Our bag just hit MEC this Spring and believe it or not, after building the bag in my Montgomery basement for years, we actually now make our gear in the same factory alongside Deuter in Vietnam. I was there working with them in February. I just loved coming across this thread and had to comment! Some great bike commuting discussion in general on here!

Any questions on our bag please feel free to shoot me a note at reid@twowheelgear.com, otherwise anybody in this forum can use promo code: Ridebuddy10 and get 10% off ordering our Classic Garment Pannier at www.twowheelgear.com. Loved seeing this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bike Commuter Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #2156
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

How much of the Tour de Calgary route is still inaccessible due to the flood?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...e-Calgary-100K
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #2157
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I don't know about the whole route, but I rode some sections last week.

km 60 to about km 74 is in fine shape and really unaffected by the flood.

km 74 to km 76 has some rought spots with a section of path mising (maybe a couple hundred meters), but there is a detour through the woods, I was able to ride about half way on a road bike but ultimately had to get off an walk a bit. Would be no problem on a mountain bike.

km 76 to km 90 is free sailing again and un touched.

Hopefully someone else can comment on the other sections.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #2158
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok this is probably the most ridiculous question asked on here, but how do you keep your eyes from freezing on mornings like this? My sun glasses aren't doing the trick at all.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #2159
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I've seen guys wearing ski goggles but it's never really been an issue for me.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #2160
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

KM 36-39 are out of bounds, but you can sub by going on the north side of the Bow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread