Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #3521
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Mazda. Tops CR reliability reports, consistent in the top amongst other similar reviews, I’ve been going the YouTube/Reddit/Forum/Fleet prowl, and there’s like no known, recurring or problematic issues with 2017+ Reported.

Consistently reviewed as one of the better driving SUV lines. Standard equipment is more than enough for most people. And they’re the most attractive of the the sub-premium lines.

Plus, standard non turbo engine so driving it doesn’t suck #### all the time, 6 speed tranny so it doesn’t feel gross.

Just a good, solid looking, nicely handling, well equipped vehicle that is still made in Japan and comes in at very, very competitive pricing.
I'd have to research their engine options myself. But definitely do seem like a good product that's worth consideration. My neighbour's have a 7 year old CX-5 that they quite like.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #3522
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'd have to research their engine options myself. But definitely do seem like a good product that's worth consideration. My neighbour's have a 7 year old CX-5 that they quite like.
Any rust? I like Mazda as well, but I continue to see them prematurely rusting and for now would never buy one for that reason.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #3523
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

BTW, I love when this thread gets going on regular-guy cars. I never having anything to say when the $100k + crowd takes over haha.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #3524
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friends of ours bought a CX-9 Kuro last year and are very happy with it. It is very nice inside, seats are comfy, tech is sufficiently modern.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #3525
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Toyota should be off the table on the basis that their products are soulless and boring
I like the new Corolla GR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #3526
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Any rust? I like Mazda as well, but I continue to see them prematurely rusting and for now would never buy one for that reason.
I've been eyeballing every 2016+ I see, and I believe they have sorted out that issue. I honestly can't see how they would still have it, but dear god I'm hope I'm not wrong.

####ing dealerships man. Sylvan, if you don't absolutely, positively need a vehicle right now and you don't have a pile of cash just earmarked for a stupid financial decision, I would seriously hold off.

We might never return to pre-covid, automatic few thousand off MSRP anytime you want days, but the natural increase in used car supply is going to mean 2 things:
Dealerships are forced to compete for new vehicle business. Manufacturing is a volume proposition, and while some OEMS might try to convince you that they will hold production and supply artificially low, there is little concern of this industry wide. No one leaves money on the table, and Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Ford, GM etc are all fighting for market share that they need volume to get.

Used car prices will reflect the traditional depreciation rates. These mfers did everything possible to buy up any and all used cars to control financing, nothing more. Used vehicle pricing needs to make rational sense as supply increases, and that only occurs when its an actual discount over new.

Don't forget, a new vehicle, regardless of how nice or value retaining it is, is always a net loss financially. Dealerships currently control a supply, and they know it and are acting like it. This narrow window of theirs is closing. You are not privileged for being a new vehicle customer. Don't let them make you feel that way.

Generally speaking, what I've encountered is 10% over listed price as a cash-in hand, place order today type of thing. With a 5 month wait. That's ####ing stupid any way you look at it, and for someone without wealth to not think about money, it doesn't make sense.

$800 'dealership policies' about 3rd party security etching? If that's non-negotiable, y'all can ####off because youre just adding cost to the vehicle purchase price and trying to hide it.

New Tire and Rim Warranty? #### that ####; your new vehicle comes with certain tire warranties, and your odds of ever actually getting this add on third party to pay out anything, especially a value more than the plan purchase price, is near 0.

Any Key/Fob Program? #### that. You're new vehicle comes delivered with 2 sets of keys as a minimum standard. They are yours, and like everything else your purchase, you can swap out a battery on your own.

Collectively, ontop of the known taxes and fees, dealerships try to sell you on profit maximizing, low value to buyer items. That's fine. But don't let them force it on you, because you're buying a car not entering a forced marriage with a dealership.

If you're financing, know the pressure tactis. Know damn well that the room you enter after you 'sign the contract' with the purchase terms is where the dealer bonuses are lost and won, and the guy will be as absolutely vague and confident that he can give you the best most amazing deal imaginable.

The last one of these experiences, I had to have the guy print off the policy, I spent 30 seconds reviewing it and pointed out the exact clause I told him made it a non-starter (dealer maintenance), after he spent 15 minutes lying outright about it. It was the worst sales experience Ive ever had, and I did make a complaint to the manager, because anyone less industry experienced could have easily ended up forking over another grand for nothing, literally.

TL;DR Dealerships are at their worst right now. MSRP+tax is the most anyone should be wiling to pay to walk out the door if walking in with cash, and if that's a no deal, #### em and wait it out a few months.

Now I have to find a way to tell my wife when I get home that there is, in fact, no way Im buying a new car right now.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #3527
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand how dealerships are still a thing.

This is the product, this is the price, let me order it online if I want. Dealers should be a order pick up point that also offers service if you want it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #3528
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I like the new Corolla GR

Too bad the supply is greatly underserving the demand.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #3529
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
BTW, I love when this thread gets going on regular-guy cars. I never having anything to say when the $100k + crowd takes over haha.
I love when it goes into truck territory, that's right up my alley. but sadly that's maybe once a year
Old 07-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #3530
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I love when it goes into truck territory, that's right up my alley. but sadly that's maybe once a year
'cause trucks are boring
Old 07-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #3531
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

This is the product, this is the price, let me order it online if I want. Dealers should be a order pick up point that also offers service if you want it
Its a bit different though, because only a crazy person would buy an unfamiliar vehicle without test driving it. Like, you maybe buy a 1500$ recroom couch online, but you sit on the living room furniture before you buy. And there is a ton of after sales servicing; recalls, maintenance, repairs etc.

I totally understand the dealership model, and don't begrudge them for making money. Their tactics on the other hand? Grosser than gross.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #3532
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

btimbit, do you know much about light duty trucks, such as Colorado/Canyon? I'm thinking about downsizing from my 1500 Sierra into one of those, but realizing I might not see that much improvement in mileage? It's either that or into an SUV that still has about 5000lb towing capacity.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #3533
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
btimbit, do you know much about light duty trucks, such as Colorado/Canyon? I'm thinking about downsizing from my 1500 Sierra into one of those, but realizing I might not see that much improvement in mileage? It's either that or into an SUV that still has about 5000lb towing capacity.
No personal experience, but my anecdotal experience as someone that actually uses their truck as a truck; I don't understand how someone justifies spending almost as much money as a full size truck, just to get the same mileage and the ability to do way less with it? The trucks themselves seem fine, I love a nice Tacoma, but they seem way overpriced for what you get
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:46 PM   #3534
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, the Canyons are particularily pricey, in the 40-50 range used, depending on mileage. Colorados seem to be a cheaper for the same engine class. Everyday mileage will likely be slight improvement, with towing mileage likely the same.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #3535
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Its a bit different though, because only a crazy person would buy an unfamiliar vehicle without test driving it. Like, you maybe buy a 1500$ recroom couch online, but you sit on the living room furniture before you buy. And there is a ton of after sales servicing; recalls, maintenance, repairs etc.

I totally understand the dealership model, and don't begrudge them for making money. Their tactics on the other hand? Grosser than gross.
Sure, I have no issue with the physical dealerships. My issue is the sales model. By all means, try on a shirt before you buy it. That doesn't mean every Gap store can charge whatever the hell they want, with the only reason behind it being; "#### you, we can make more money this way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Yeah, the Canyons are particularily pricey, in the 40-50 range used, depending on mileage. Colorados seem to be a cheaper for the same engine class. Everyday mileage will likely be slight improvement, with towing mileage likely the same.
They definitely seem like great trucks I just don't get how they cost as much as one that can do way more

Last edited by btimbit; 07-06-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #3536
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Every 4-6 months I sit down and try to convince myself to pull the trigger on a Maverick. It's pretty much exactly what I've always wanted, a stripped down pickup for a decent price. I figure I can wait just a bit longer until they are more available.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #3537
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So... like a boutique store that sells only one brand like Lululemon/Canada Goose/Casper/Apple etc. that also has online options?

Other than the inexplicable haggle part due to pricing differences for getting the product to different regions for such a gigantic item (vs negligible for smaller ubiquitous items)/potential customization, I feel like it's basically the same retail concept?

The haggle difference just seems dumb though. Even if you were to do like custom cabinetry etc. for $50K+, you don't typically need to do a stupid song and dance negotiation, right? It's not completely up there in terms of confusion like a renovation, but the haggle aspect certainly does put it up there in terms of frustration.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #3538
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Every 4-6 months I sit down and try to convince myself to pull the trigger on a Maverick. It's pretty much exactly what I've always wanted, a stripped down pickup for a decent price. I figure I can wait just a bit longer until they are more available.
Apparently for next years model they're going to offer the hybrid in awd, not just fwd

that'd be very interesting
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #3539
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Yeah, the appeal of the Maverick is strong. But I still can't let go of the idea of hauling a trailer for camping, even though we've temporarily put that activity on hold due to family budget. If you go with the 3.8 Ecoboost, you can pull 4000 lbs, which is not much for a hard walled trailer + adding in the cargo of a family of 4 for camping. Unless you go with a Boler or such.
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 04:10 PM   #3540
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still waiting for a version with a decent length bed. At that size, the options are the Frontier or Tacoma. The new Frontier's look great, but are over 40k, which I guess is the new starting point these days...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote